The Jay Sugarman Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by breslinp, Jun 23, 2015.

1. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to start spreading the blame.

Where is Jay Sugarman?
    [​IMG]

Amscray repped this.
  2. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the bigger question has to be: what is Jay's plan for the Union? What is his endgame in all this? It can't have been to build a competitive soccer team, that's for sure. So what is he after? Money?

goindownsouth repped this.
  3. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's in a pretty good shape to make some money. Nice speculation on his part. He paid $30 million for a franchise fee now worth $100 million. He also bamboozled PA and DelCo into using taxpayers money into building a stadium in a wasteland. Not too shabby for 6 year investment. He just needs to get out now while he still has a respectable fanbase for new investors.

UnionDues repped this.
  4. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the Buccini / Pollin thread?

cwelch999 and ScottyMac26 repped this.
  5. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they didn't lie. (Naive I know). If they were honest and made it clear that it was to make money then boom. I would be whatever and still go. Im annoyed that they say they are trying and either A. lying B. Suck at fielding a team. C. Both.

6. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You mean actually investing their souls into the club, beyond the monetary gain?

Come on now. That never happens in soccer.

7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, I like their operas.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Sugarman is keeping the team to spite Nick Sak for selling him on owning an MLS team in Chester, PA instead of buying into the Phoenix Suns? Sugarman holds all of the leverage at this point. He knows he could sell now and make a nice profit on his investment. He could make even more down the road as the league's value increases without him having to invest a whole lot himself as well. In 2008 he paid what, $30 Million for the Franchise? In 2013 Orlando City paid around $80 Million and NYCFC paid $100 Million.

The MLS Sugarman bought into (was sold on) in 2008, unfortunately is not the MLS that his team plays in in 2015. In 2008 how many teams had their own practice facility? How many had their own academy? In 2008 BBVA, Sporting Park, RBA, PPL, Stade Saputo (in it's current form), & Providence Park were either just pretty artists renditions or not even on the drawing board. Orlando didn't even have a USL team, hell their owner hadn't even formed the Austin Aztex yet! If Philadelphia had been granted an expansion side in say 2012, it's likely safe to say that Sugarman wouldn't be involved as a majority owner.

Today's MLS in addition to a Soccer Specific Stadium requires training facilities, academies, a USL reserve team, and a PDL team for college aged academy players. That wasn't part of the deal back in 2008.

Tyr repped this.
  9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And maybe Sak is staying on to spite Uncle Sugar instead of taking that exec role with the LA Dodgers (?).
    I know what you mean, but have to clarify that there has to be a plan in place for a future SSS.

And teams still have partnerships with USL teams; not all are fielding one as a reserve squad.

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait what? Nick Sak was offered a role with the Dodgers?

True about the USL teams, but the affiliates are mainly a way to bridge the gap for the have nots (see Union) and expansion teams to get off the ground. Moving forward to compete, having a USL team and also a PDL team for your academy players is going to be a necessity.

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that's what he said in the SoB movie. Was definitely a west coast baseball thing.

And, FWIW, Sugarman was at the USOC game last week, and I saw him entering the players' locker after the game. Maybe he cashed out on stocks to go "all in" with the USOC hosting fees (assuming we get past DCU and the Cosmos/RBNY winner).

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that would make sense then if it was the Dodgers. That was when MLB allowed Frank McCourt to buy the Dodgers with essentially a Credit Card..................the irony! Nick Sak knows a thing or two about that!

cwelch999, gettysburg11 and Dills repped this.
  13. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't believe the Nick Sak Dodgers story for a second, and it actually kind of pissed me off in the theater, lol.

14. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For whatever it's worth, iStar stock only moderately rebounded from 2008.

I was digging around Google Finance and happened to stumble across an interesting blurb:

iStar Financial Inc ($STAR) experienced unusually high volume on Jun. 18, as the stock lost 0.07% to a closing price of $13.98. The stock saw 1.22 million shares trade hands over the course of the day on 6,756 trades. Given that the stock’s average daily volume over the last month has been 693,628 shares a day, this represents a pretty substantial spike over the norm. - See more at: http://www.equities.com/editors-des...usual-volume-for-june-18#sthash.AZ8Ul5fP.dpuf

http://www.equities.com/editors-des...s-trading-lower-on-unusual-volume-for-june-18

15. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Add that to his Nantes stories then.

16. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

that V is sooooo deep.

Dills repped this.
  17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's something missing ...

[​IMG]

Handsome Pete repped this.
  18. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Time for some manscaping, Jay.

[​IMG]

19. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a Google image search for this picture. I guess he own this hilarious website, too? Or maybe its a different Jay Sugarman. Either way...that website is straight out of 1997.

20. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Sak is relieved the ire seems to be turning away from him and towards Sugarman.

Unfortunately for him the Philadelphia region has enough hate for both.

UnionDues and lopezzzz repped this.
  21. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Anyone see the survey they just put out? It's interesting timing and "direction of the team" seems to be a big focus.

thomas19064 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  22. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, and after filling out the survey and typing out my thoughts I'm just angry again.

23. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I finally felt like I had the right forum for bitching about Ovations beer service, though.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Sugarman's perspective, he has to be pleased. The club is chugging along despite the abysmal on-field performance and he's in a position to eventually cash out at a level much higher than the one he bought into. All of us schmucks on this board show up for the games every week, buy the merch, and watch the away games on TV while he counts the bucks. Let's just hope the cashing out happens sooner rather than later.

aztec21bas, breslinp, jaykoz3 and 3 others repped this.
  25. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I dunno, I got the sense that owning a sports team might have been as much of a prestige thing as a business venture for Sugarman. Ownership of major sports team is a pretty exclusive club, which Sugs appears to be crashing and burning out of just as MLS is hitting its stride. Has to be embarrassing for him.

Tyr repped this.