The Javi Morales Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Nov 3, 2016.

1. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not in the camp of pulling my support altogether from the team, but I can say I watched fewer games this season than I have since RSL's inception. From Copa America on, I had a hard time watching the games. I'd usually make it to halftime before I'd turn the game off and play Nintendo with my brothers. I'd go back and watch the highlights, but the play was so bad that I couldn't force myself to watch anymore.

As sad as the Javi saga has been, I still think there is more going on than has been revealed.

Ivensor, DrownedElf, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're never going to get the full story, and, as always, there are two sides to it. However, the longer RSL stays silent (IMO) it just creates more pie on their face.

DrownedElf, goobx1 and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you looking to not renew season tickets or to pull your support for RSL, a couple of thoughts from my experience:
    1. I stopped season tickets a few years ago when PRO assigned a non- experienced referee to a match of the 2 best teams in MLS at the time; RSL and KC at TheRiot. What should have been a great match was a complete, unwatchable s*** show. I wrote my letters to The Don, Dave and PRO stating I would again buy season tickets when they fixed the officiating. Needless to say, that never happened. However, I never regretted doing it. I was still able to see all the games that I wanted to see (which was almost all of them).
    2. Be careful about taking RSL for granted. You don't want to pull support to the point they think of finding a new city. Since I've been in Vegas I have missed not being able to attend games...even the boring games that fans have complained about this season.

PumaJohnny, Allez RSL and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about getting season tickets for 2017, but the fact that my son will turn 26 next year, get dropped from my health insurance and need to help to buy health insurance has essentially burned up any extra money that I might have had. So, the re-signing of Cassar and the royal screwing of Javi doesn't have any bearing on me getting season tickets for the 2017 season, but we'll see for the 2018 season.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    officiating is bad in every league the world over. Does MLS have a problem? Most definetly, but I've ranted on this more than a handful of times. I get your point about the RSL/SKC game, but I will say I actually think officiating has, overall, gotten better in the league.

back on topic: There is a grey area between fully monetarily supporting the team and being completely disconnected. That is where I would highly recommend people go. Still be vocal about the shit show that is this club currently but don't contradict yourself by sending in any cash to the machine

6. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still a fan of the team. Not likely to buy season tickets until they make a few changes.

7. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have much disposable income and live far away, but I decided not to spend money on the team. Even told some people who know I'm a fan not to buy RSL stuff for Christmas.

8. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have money for rsl stuff anyway but my fandom has taken a hit. Though the javi stuff isn't nearly as impactful as renewing cassar. Last season was boring as hell and i mostly blame him. Reality of this fickle world is that they can win me back really quick if the on field product is good next season.

BalanceUT and Allez RSL repped this.
  9. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually make the 3.5 hour trip to Salt Lake at least 4-5 times during the season. This past year I made it too one match and we again tied at home 0-0 against Sporting KC. So yes I have had it! Giving Cassar 3 more years was the final straw. But look who's still on Big Soccer? me! Anyway I will save a ton of money as I sit at home and watch them from my couch! No more jersey's, no more $8.00 beers, no more RSL merchandise until I feel the club has improved and management has grown up.

10. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I couldn't convince my dad to cancel our season tickets even after Cassar was given a new contract.

I'm not joking when I say that as soon as he watched Javi's press conference he asked me to get them canceled.

12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I wish they were still $8!!!

I backed down to 1 season ticket a couple years ago because my wife couldn't attend regularly, and we'd routinely miss 5 games a year. I waited until the 31st to renew. I'm slightly regretting it. However, I've got lots of friends that I have good relationships with through RSL, and so I'm mainly sticking around for that. Plus, Homebrew Home Opener. I'm not ready to give that up.

15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  13. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry $8.50 a beer!

14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm regretting the renewal after everything that has happened, but I'm not about to cancel right now and leave my brother out to dry. If things aren't drastically improved by August, then I should be on the cancellation boat. These last couple of years have been rough to watch, and at some point it isn't worth all the time and money to go.

15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not perfect anywhere, but it's better than it is here in many places. It might be improved, but it's far from fixed.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after some soul searching I have a confession to make. RSL treating Javi this way and going into implode mode the way they are was because of me. You see, I got my hands on the expense report for RSL this last year and you wouldn't believe the top item. ********ING STRAWS, MAN!

This is a literal "last straw" scenario. I don't know how to talk to Javi about this.

Ivensor, RSLer, The Franchise and 4 others repped this.
  17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could build a tiny Javi out of the straws. A straw man of sorts.

Lizzie Bee, Ivensor, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.
  18. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell us more!

19. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not every drink needs an individual straw. One per person per game. And married or seriously dating couple's should share one straw.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  20. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $9.25

The re-signing of Cassar was enough for me to not renew, I won't support this team financially with the kind of decision making the FO is making over the last 3 years. That doesn't mean I've stopped supporting the team, hell, I had the mini-season ticket packages the first few years and attended as many games as I could in the summer before permanently living in Portland for 8 years. I still managed to fly in for a game or two a season even living in Portland and I never missed an RSL game in Portland (even when they played the University of Portland is a freezing ass rain storm during one preseason). I think most of us around here have supported the team through the worst of times (first 2-3 years) and the best of times, that probably won't change. And given that DLH has just invested tens of millions of dollars in the youth academy here I don't see the team going anywhere anytime soon. This team needs to be made aware that their decisions have ramifications, though, and that starts with fans not spending thousands on season tickets, merchandise, and concessions every year.

RSLer repped this.
  21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the bobble heads?

The Franchise repped this.
  22. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still support RSL, but I'm lazy (and kind of cheap), so I'll continue to watch RSL from the comfort of my luxurious genuine imitation leather couch.

RSL soccer, University of Utah and Redskin football and Game of Thrones is about the only things that I regularly watch on the boob tube.

23. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #173 RoyalNonesuch, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    I went to the games with 3 different people last year, all of whom I essentially "recruited" as RSL fans.

This year, two of us stopped buying tickets and/or a suite (including me). Two continue to and have renewed and improved their seats a lot. The options that they were given in our section tell me there plenty of non-renewals. I'll still follow the team, but I'll go casual and buy tickets for a few games a year instead of committing to 20 games a year + parking + food + everything.

I was fully on board with supporting/subsidizing professional soccer in Utah, but I won't support a meddling nepotistic owner and a crap management/coaching staff.

pcny repped this.
  24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were curious things that happened in that Seattle game. 1) We all didn't know, but we now know that Javi was left off the starting lineup, apparently so that they could force a renegotiation of his contract, one that he rejected. Let's face it, it looks manifestly insulting and a move calculated to manage money more than on the field performance. I do NOT believe the FO saying it was a tactical decision. 2) Players who were subbed out did not shake hands with Cassar and were obviously grumpy. I believe they all knew exactly what was going on with Javi and have been unhappy with Cassar. The Javi thing may have been a 'last straw' thing for some of them.

I do NOT tie together the decision to keep Cassar with the decision to mistreat Javi. I'm ambivalent about Cassar. If he were replaced, I'd think it good. Keeping him for one more season, while unlikely to produce results, is not something I think is obviously bad. The fact that he's on a 1 year contract with clear indicators for success (so we are told) suggests that this is a put up or get fired year for him.

The decision on Javi for Seattle puts me in a place I've been approaching for a while, ever since Hansen took over the team. I've watched non-sports people micromanage their franchises and it rarely goes well (e.g., Steinbrenner with the Yankees, Turner with the Atlanta Braves, Rankin Smith with the Atlanta Falcons). When the Braves moved into a more corporate ownership situation with Turner himself less involved, the team began a steady improvement. It was treated more as a 'division of the company' and allowed to operate independently as long as the numbers added up at the end of the day.

Which puts me in the situation of deciding on my fandom. Can I be a fan of a team that is now 9 years distant in my past for season ticket ownership and regular in-person attendance. It is a pain in the butt to watch about half of the games that end at midnight or later in my time zone. I see the ownership meddling in ways that my experience tells me makes a sports franchise go much worse before it gets better, an approach that I disrespect. And, there are teams more local that I can support that are doing good things (MLS: Philadelphia Union, DC United; USL: Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Harrisburg City Islanders, Richmond Kickers).

I've got thinking to do.

15 to 32, DrownedElf, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Are you saying your fandom hangs in the "balance"? Say it ain't so, Joe?

15 to 32, DrownedElf, georg and 3 others repped this.