The iPhone Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dark knight, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine does that a lot as well. It's quite annoying.

2. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall that ever happening to me, but I've read that it's more likely to occur if you are listening to music in the background. It can also happen if you're viewing a visually intensive page or when you've been browsing extensively without closing the browser periodically. It tends to stress the cache.

3. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have an iPhone but I saw this at the website for my favorite radion station:

WFMU is pleased to announce the first live radio stream for the iPhone! Thanks to our friends at http://www.tversity.com/home, iPhone users can now listen to WFMU live, or download our podcasts. Point your iPhone browser at iPhone.wfmu.org to experience the world's first live radio stream for iPhones.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just tried it out, prett cool. Listening to some host named Fabio...

too bad the format doesn't appeal to me at all.

5. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a freeform station so it doesn't really have a format. Each DJ plays what they're in to. I would be surprised if you couldn't find a show or 6 that had some interest to you unless you enjoy only things that were or are on the pop/country charts. Here a link to the program schedule with links to indidivual shows' playlists: http://www.wfmu.org/recentarchives.php

Anyway, I've found, through trial and error, about 30 hours of programming a week to listen to via the archives. It fills up my work week just about perfectly as I stream the archived shows that I like all day long.

Highlights include: Coffee Break for Heros and Villains (hip hop), Radio Thrift Shop (old timey country), Music to Spazz By (garage rock from all eras), Downtown Soulville (vintage soul 45s), The Best Show on WFMU (comedy/music/phone in show by a writer from Monk that is too weird to explain).

I'm a contributing member of the station and have come to the conclusion that I can't live without it. I'm tempted to get an iPhone just for this as the internet is the only way I can listen since they broadcast out of East Orange, NJ and I'm in OH.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm into a lot of heavy and alternative music, and from time to time a bit of reggae and techno. I can't tell what show's what from that list. Maybe when I have more time I'll check out the archived shows.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I noticed that after I upgraded to 1.1.2 there's been a HUGE change in my batteries life span. Now it's back to they way it used to be and I don't have to recharge it every day.

8. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    iPhone bumped to 16GB for $499. Great capacity for the Touch with 32GB, but also very expensive at $499.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080205/tc_nm/apple_dc;_ylt=AspC1JvGdSg9qTaNR69gblis0NUE

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see at least a small update to the iPhone, but I'll probably wait for the 3G version nonetheless.

Am I correct in stating that there's no easy way to unlock the newer ones if I wanted to, say, use it on T-Mobile? They don't have 3G service right now anyways, so it would make sense to use the current iPhone on their network.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm glad the higher capacity hadn't come out yet when I finally broke down and bought one a few weeks ago. I'm glad I didn't have the temptation to spend even more money than I did.

It's not a perfect device, Edge really is pretty slow, no GPS among other things, but I am really happy with it overall. I needed to check something online this morning and rather than having to fire up my computer, I did a really quick google search and had my answer in seconds.

11. rpmanager

rpmanager New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    just because the Iphone is not 3g i don't like

12. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Too lazy to look up the links, but I recall reading before the Macworld expo that the upgraded memory would be announced early 2008 (it was assumed to be at Macworld, but I guess they got a bit behind) and that the 3g model would be before the end of the year. So we can most likely expect it in October or November, just in time for Christmas.

13. realplayer

realplayer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    the iphone is not a 3g i don't like, And takes us a long time to seek what we want, I think this has been a bad bet

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I didn't realize RealPlayer was owned by Microsoft - Hama.

So this is a dumb question - but the existing iphone won't be able to switch to 3g?

15. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    3g requires different hardware, which until very recently was extremely power thirsty (this was one of the biggest reasons apple didn't include it from the beginning). But I have heard that there's been a breakthrough which can make 3g chips use a lot less power, and this is what has opened the door for apple to start developing it.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Bummer - thanks. I couldn't have waited another year anyway, even though that would have been smarter I guess.

17. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Omission of 3g is honestly something that can be overlooked with this phone. It's not really necessary, unless you live somewhere without wifi hotspots... and then, is 3g really that pervasive yet that you would have 3g but no wifi?

18. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Treo 680 at the moment. I do like it, but it has its issues.

Someone was telling me that the iphone just got upgraded to 16 gigs or something...

But then he said that on 2/15, something else was happening.

This came up when I told him that I had a lot of Treo applications that I use that I'd hate to lose. He said that Blah blah blah was happening on the 15th. What happened?

Is there something that will let me use other software now?

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't totally agree with this, without knowing about the prevalence of 3G in NYC, but the Edge is really pretty slow. There is tons of WiFi in NYC, but when driving, there are times when I want faster connectivity but can't connect to wifi.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think they were going to unlock it to third party apps maybe? I don't think the impact will be felt immediately so you will likely need to wait a bit.

21. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    There was a recent (yesterday?) article in NY Times describing how popular iPhone is in China. Apparently, a lot of Chinese get their iPhone through friends and connections in the US. In China, they can readily get the phone unlocked and have Chinese software added ($25 charge for the latter). Supposedly, this explains to a large degree the discrepancy in the number of iPhone sold in this country and the number that actually got activated here.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Big iphone announcement today - it's now going to be compatible with Corporate Exchange mail.