The iPhone Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dark knight, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, don't say things like that. I want one really badly but can't justify the $60 a month, especially since I'm currently using a pay-as-you-go phone and only spending $20 every three months right now.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Version 1.1.1 was released today. It adds the iTunes Wi Fi store and a few other features.

3. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was some warning other than "if you hack your computer product, a future update might cause problems."

5. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sorry, didn't mean to scare you ;)

6. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new 1.1.1 software update is a 150+ MB download, but very well worth it. I installed it last night and it's been great. New features include:

- iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
    - Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
    - Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
    - Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
    - Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
    - Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
    - Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
    - Support for TV Out
    - Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
    - New Passcode lock time intervals
    - Adjustable alert volume

7. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    IMO this is a big advancement, but does anyone know how it works? How would you hook your iPhone to a TV (without Apple TV, which is what I assume the update is meant to do)?

On another note, has anybody used the T-mobile @home service. This is a brilliant idea I believe, and I would be all over it if I had T-mobile and didn't badly want an iPhone when my Verizon contract is up. I would actually really like to see it take off so that At&t, sprint and Verizon follow suit. I'm sure those companies are very cold on the concept because it could cannibalize their regular phone business. But undoubtedly those phone lines are becoming obsolete for actual phone use, so it might be in their best interest to be prepared and take advantage of their phone and cable lines. Maybe if they bundle the service with broadband internet it could be worth their while.

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    "But the most striking finding of the survey is the iPhone’s outstanding customer satisfaction rating. An unprecedented 82% of iPhone owners report being Very Satisfied with their purchase, up 5-points since our previous survey in July and by far the highest rating of any cellular manufacturer," Woods and Carton report. "The only other company with a satisfaction rating above 50% is Research-in-Motion (RIMM; 51%). At the other end of the spectrum, Motorola (33%) was next to last among cellular manufacturers in customer satisfaction, with Sony/Ericsson (31%) at rock bottom."

"But it’s when we asked respondents about their planned future cell phone purchases that the iPhone marketplace transformation becomes fully apparent," Woods and Carton report. "Going forward, we find an astonishing 16% of respondents who plan to purchase a cell phone in the next six months saying they’ll buy an iPhone – placing Apple up at the top among all manufacturers."

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/15235/

10. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    My brother loves it, but he also doesn't care about phones like I do, and he is a mac fan no matter what they do. Just like many of the people here.

The above article you linked doesn't make any sense. Use the iphone's browser and then use something on Sprint's EVDO browser such as the Mogul (a PDA phone) and you'll find the Mogul is ALOT faster. Furthermore, 3g is not only for data. Voice calls are made over 3g. If the Iphone was 3g it would run on Att's HSDPA/WCDMA network and the calls are alot clearer over WCDMA than they are over GSM (the current technology that Iphone uses).

Anyway back to my original point - the Iphone is pretty cool and has some nice features. I am glad people like it. However there are phones that do more and cost less, those phones I would choose over the Iphone anyday.

I also think Apple is a pretty nasty company. They recently buckled to pressure, but their previous attempts to disable unlocked Iphones was a pretty shady thing to do. Locking a phone to a GSM network is a pretty shady thing to do in itself. That is the only phone in the history of GSM to ever be locked to a company. Not to mention that they over charge for their Ipods (and the initial price of the Iphone was criminal).

11. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    We know, you've said it around six times now.

12. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Got it. Love it. Haven't a clue how I lived without it.

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got mine on Monday! Woohoo!

Shed my Franklin planner which I lugged around for eight years and now it's just the iPhone and a regular wallet for me. I feel so... free.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever since I updated to 1.1.1 I've noticed the battery dies A LOT quicker than it used to. It's quite annoying. I have to recharge it once a day.

16. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? My battery life hasn't changed. Obvious question, but you're not keeping the usual suspects, e.g. wi-fi, on for extended periods, are you?

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything is kept the same settings wise. It started happening right after the update. I'm thinking about going back to 1.0.2.

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be interested in Apple's new iPhone/iPod Touch Development Center, where application development starts... Apple is billing this as "...your single source of information for designing, coding, and optimizing web applications for iPhone and iPod touch..." I predict that very soon you will be able to do anything with your iPhone and iPod touch once the apps start rolling in... I love my iPod Touch dearly now... more so I am sure later on...

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure by now, you've all seen the commercial where the guy talks about carrying around too many items. He says he has his PDA, his iPod, his cellphone used for texting and wireless internet, and his regular cellphone (why not just use the same phone for everything??). He also has a camera, which apparently is taken everywhere he goes.

So you keep your iPod in a pocket. But why does this guy feel the need to carry around TWO cellphones? Unless the iPhone has the ability to act as two seperate phone numbers, he'd just need two iPhones. Does it have that feature? It'd be a nifty feature no matter who had it. You could have a phone number ending in 7291 for a personal number and a similar number ending in 7292 for a business number. You'd have a different outgoing message and different ringers for each number dialed, but it'd be the same phone.

My neighbor has Vonage. If you dial the business number, the landline will ring along with the cell phone. If you dial the cell phone direct, it'll ring a different ring. But it's the same cell phone.

Anyway, the guy in the commerical has his camera which, I assume, is with him a lot. Maybe he's a professional or semi-pro photographer. Maybe he really digs photography. Is the iPhone's camera really all that better than a standard cell phone camera? How good is it?

Guy pre-iPhone: iPod, camera, two cellphones.
    Guy with iPhone: iPhone, camera. Perhaps an iPod depending on the occasion, but he could easily sync the iPhone with his music collection.

I guess i'm not buying into the hype.

I do admit the visual voicemail feature looks nifty. You don't have to go through 5 unplayed messages to get to that one you really do want to hear. And you can (I assume) instantly delete voicemails you don't want to hear without having to hear any moment of it.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Are you sure it's not a organizer instead of a 2nd cell phone? I used to carry around a palm, a phone and an ipod and wondered why no one could make a device that has all three. Nowadays that I no longer am commuting on a train, the ipod part isn't as important to me, but I thought the guy was talking about an organizer and a phone.

I've heard the camera isn't that great - probably like other crappy cell phone cameras. Viewing pictures is really cool however.

21. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, different people like it for all kinds of different reasons. If one person's anecdote doesn't convince you, all you should conclude is that if you were that person, the iPhone wouldn't have been a solution.

Anyway, as a parent, I often had a camera with me, even though I stink at taking photos. But with my iPhone, I can snap good enough spontaneous photos that I can later send to my family. (why I can't send photo messages with the phone is beyond me - that's a severely lacking feature).

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually you misheard the ad; he's saying with the iPhone, that's all he carries now. (Well, that and his wallet and keys.) Doesn't need the separate camera or the separate iPod now.

Have you played with one yet? Like I tell my kids at the dinner table, "Don't say 'yuck' until you've tried it." I'm telling you, the first time I picked one up at the Apple store and started playing with it, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. It's just so... fun.

Recently saw a survey - over 80% of iPhone users are extremely happy with their phone. That compares to Motorola, Samsung, et al who are down in the 30-percentile range. It ain't hype if it's true.

Correct. Which is a very cool feature.

EDIT: although I wanted to be lazy, I decided it was no good referring to a survey without a link. So here's one article about it.
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=19431&pagtype=allchandate

23. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only is iPhone a nifty iPod/PDA/camera/phone/internet device, it's also quite resilient.

I drove over to the coast in Wilmington for a friend's wedding the weekend before last. Into the late hours after too many drinks to count, I was craving a cigar so I walked over to a cigar store a couple of blocks away. While walking down the street, my phone rang. (It was my wife back home making sure I was alright). Reaching for the phone, I overcorrected for my alcohol-impaired reflexes and slung that sucker out into the air. It hit the sidewalk hard several feet in front of me. I quickly picked it up to assess the damage. Worked just fine. Glass wasn't touched. Had a small ding in the corner, but nothing more.

24. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    When surfing Safari, it'll go back to the home screen with no provication. Anyone else experience this problem, or have a fix?