Pre-match: The inevitable war with Iran

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Q*bert Jones III, Jun 21, 2019.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casualties isn't a synonym for deaths. It's a synonym for deaths and injuries.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Casualties implies death or serious injury. Certainly you'll agree with that definition, right?

3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CNN is reporting the injuries were concussions.

4. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    He's barking up the wrong tree.

5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    “‘Tis but a mere brain injury!”

Were they flown off to an entire different country to get treatment, or were they given two paracetamol and told to sleep it off?

How many of them were fit for duty as of Thursday?

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So Iran was trying to harm us. Damn - dont Dotard about this

7. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Australia did.

Ismitje and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think so, depending on what “serious” means.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Serious enough that they'll not rejoin the battle... but be honest, we all knew what stranger meant.

10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What do you think this is, the NFL?

Dr. Wankler and chaski repped this.
  11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/days-god-look-irans-mounting-125014647.html

Some interesting highlights;

Dispersed the crowds with live ammunition.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #1162 Iranian Monitor, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    At the end of the day, the true extent of US casualties following Iran's missile strike will not be revealed except over time. I had earlier mentioned my own view that the US had suffered some casualties, but probably no fatalities (as the latter are more difficult to cover up). We recently had the Pentagon finally acknowledge that 11 US servicemen were flown to medical facilities in other countries (the fact that they were flown to different facilities as opposed to a single one itself raises questions, including whether this itself was part of an attempt to limit exposure of the casualties). Of course, before the Pentagon acknowledgement, we also had reports after journalists were finally allowed to inspect the base. Those reports are mentioned in this report below.

I should also mention my view that the spin the Pentagon is giving to the issue now isn't necessarily about the facts, but how to present the facts which have already been discovered by journalists in a way that would least damage US credibility, including the credibility of both the Pentagon and Trump. The true facts, in my opinion, will not be known until the dust has settled and independent investigation of the issue is conducted.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/initial-reports-of-no-injuries-from-irans-attack-were-inaccurate/
    Initial Reports of No Injuries from Iran’s Attack Were Inaccurate
    p.s.
    Minor injuries such as cuts, bruises or even many forms of fractures would be treated in base and wouldn't be considered casualties. Same with some forms of concussions that don't appear to raise serious concerns and are akin to typical football injuries. Casualties would be soldiers who are taken away from duty, in this case flown to medical facilities in various countries including Germany and Kuwait. These soldiers are still being treated and haven't been released to return to their posts.

13. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, are you sticking with your initial “80 Americans killed” state media report?

How many protesters were casualties when dispersed with live ammunition?

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You should learn to read. And care more about being truthful.
    My experience with police and law enforcement in Iran, and view of them, is closer to what this guy has to say than the drivel you read.

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to learn that there is real reporting done outside your controlled media.

I read this article pretty well.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...lling-deterioration-of-human-rights-in-iran/‬

Is Amnesty International a conspiracy against the peaceful Iran?

“From horrific execution rates, to the relentless persecution of human rights defenders, rampant discrimination against women and minorities, and ongoing crimes against humanity, the catalogue of appalling violations recorded in Iran reveals a sharp deterioration in its human rights record,” said Philip Luther, Research and Advocacy Director for the Middle East and North Africa at Amnesty International.”

Moishe repped this.
  16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #1166 Iranian Monitor, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Real reporting indeed. LOL.
    While AI might be a tad more reliable and slightly less transparent passing anti-regime dis-information fed to it by the usual suspects compared to the drivel you post straight from FOX and their MEK buddies, and even though I am not interested debating this issue with folks sitting thousands of miles away and yet convinced about things with the same fervor you find, ironically, among some religious zealots taking other forms of gospel as facts, I will state my view as follows: when it comes to reporting about events within Iran, the only folks I pay any attention to are folks who have actually set foot inside the country during the relevant time frame and, preferably those without a clear ax to grind. Otherwise, AI was no more reliable posting leftist dissident statistics as facts at the time of the revolution in Iran against the Shah's regime than it is now.

To be sure, Iran's government engages in propaganda and lies as well, but their lies and propaganda is subject to greater scrutiny within Iran and its competing political factions and outside by the plethora of not only the usual liars but scholars and figures who have some interest in the truth. Ironically, that makes Iran's government somewhat (not completely) less outlandish in the propaganda it spews compared to many of their enemies. The overall proof of the pudding on this subject is of course in the pie: Iranians who emigrate from Iran are often underwhelmed by the actual conditions they observe in the West compared to the land of 'milk and honey' from western propaganda (despite being among the most successful immigrant groups), while those who visit Iran after years of separation or (for western tourists, for the first time) end up typically shocked by the disconnect between the realities in Iran compared to the western propaganda in all of its facets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Amnesty_International
    Iranian government's rejection of Amnesty's unverified claims about the death toll in the 2019 fuel protests in Iran[edit]

17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So AI is not enough, how about the UN?

https://shar.es/a3i9is‬

At some point you are going to run out of reasons to not believe the reports because they are numerous and from a multitude of credible sources.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have already mentioned this:

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    How's that " cruise missile" excuse working?

Moishe, stanger and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are only going to believe the reports that come from a repressive government.

And we are supposed to be influenced by your opinions.

Sorry chump, you are just a cog in the propaganda machine.

21. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you will only listen to people from inside Iran, how about Iranian celebrities?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iranian-celebrities-lend-star-power-protests-111905925.html

I know @Mani said one of the athletes was being overlooked because of better talent and therefore had an ax to grind, but all of these people can't possibly be in that boat, right?

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What does the fact that there are people in Iran, including (but not limited) to celebrities, who support and supported the protests, have anything to do with what I had said???? You apparently have a hard time understanding what I write!

Anyway, if whatever I have to say on any of these issues is going to end with some accusation that I am somehow posting propaganda for the regime, then what's the use? You believe what you wish. Whatever I have actually written here, unless I have corrected myself, is what I believe to be true. And none of what I have said imply half of the things you seen to imagine or try to pretend I have said!

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    How's that "cruise missile" excuse working?

Moishe repped this.
  24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  25. Timon19