The Importance of Being Ernesto - The 2017-2018 Season thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    I hope he doesn't come. He will weaken us and Atletico.

2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't get why he stalls (unless they're currently debating money/terms, which seem unlikely if "he has decided"). What does he win by slipping the choice during the French anthem before their opener lol.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a dip shit.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Seriously ... I've made my choice but I am not saying it ? What good reason could you have for this ?

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just realized (and not sure if it was already mentioned here) but the Spanish Super cup with Sevilla will only be one leg - 12 August in Morocco. Good news!
    Seems very soon too.

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, the one leg idea had been around almost as soon as the season ended because of Sevilla's involvement in the qualifying rounds of the Europa League. Didn't leave much room to fit in two legs for Supercopa.
    Also, the LFP had proposed for the season to kick off on August 18-19 which is a week or two earlier than usual. Don't know if the RFEF agreed to the proposal.
    A reminder that Huesca, Rayo Vallecano and Real Valladolid are the three teams promoted from last season. It will be Huesca's first ever season in the top flight.
    And based on the past the Liga schedule should be released sometime next week.

BocaFan repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So the one-leg super copa might only be a one year thing.

La Liga fixtures come out on 23 July.

unclesox repped this.
  8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, afaik. Brought about by circumstance.
    But this article was from back in May.
    http://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2018/05/10/5af46538e5fdeaf1648b45e2.html
    Of course, if this one proves to be mighty successful then I would guess the RFEF will consider future options.
    Personally, I would prefer one leg since I don't really value the Supercopa much. Even the Clasico Supercopas don't get me wound up as much as (dare I admit) the Gamper does. :oops:

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Agreed about the one-leg format being better. The only negative consequence is that it leads to it being played out of the country. Morocco is a short hop away, but before we know it they're going to play this cup in China or L.A.

Anyway, as long as Barca continue to play it every year that's a good sign I guess.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does the 2018-2019 season thread start?

11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We need to think of some decent thread titles.

"A Messi season ahead? - 2018-19 Season thread"
    *shrug*

"Hala Ma... uh, I mean Froza Juve! - The 2018-19 Other Teams thread"

BocaFan and ShortyMac repped this.
  12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You guys are lucky - we probably won't be able to even see the La Liga games as things stand :(

I've been watching Barca for years now on Sky on glorious HD and now some unknown company has bought the rights for four years for about £5 million ( !) and they don't even have a TV channel !!

13. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Ernesto Goes to Work: The 2018-19 Season Thread

unclesox and celito repped this.
  14. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hmm

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It was confirmed today that the Spanish Super Cup will consist of just one leg and be played in Morocco. Sevilla wanted the traditional two-legged format (more money), so the decision went Barca's way.

La Liga fixtures will come out on Tuesday (initially was supposed to be tomorrow).

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That's apt as last season we practically played on one leg by not using Dembele and playing Coutinho out of position on the right wing !!

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You mean the season we won the double with absolute ease?

condor11 repped this.
  18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    The season the other two practical gave it away by Sept / October ??

Our football was dire compared to what we're used to plus as I said Valve never trusted a fit and healthy Dembele and kept using Couthino out of position ( right wing ) .

Also went MIA in the champions league again ..

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Barca were still unbeaten when La Liga title was confirmed. When was the last time you can say that for any club? That championship was very much earned by the team, coaches and all.

I still don't understand how anyone could favor champagne football over winning titles. For those with that line of thinking, name one time you were satisfied with a trophyless season.

Champions League was lost on the away goals rule. One bad night. That's how Cup tournaments work.
    The league rewards consistency, a far better gauge at judging how the team performed overall.

condor11 repped this.
  20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    We're all different .... most footie fans who are old enough - still prefer the wonderful footballing Brazil of Zico , Socrates , Falcao who won nothing to Pele's World Cup winning team ..

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think you have this wrong. Pele's WC winning team is held in high regard. There are some people who argue the 82 team might have been better. What some people do say is that they prefer 82 over the winning team of 94.

I don't have a problem with preferring that type of football. But criticizing how the team played last season given the circumstances is just plain wrong.

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Agreed

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, Coutinho wasn't eligible for the CL so you can't blame playing him in the wrong position for not winning the CL.

One of the reasons we got Coutinho was his versatility. Also the first goal of the CdR final was down to him playing on the right side. :whistling:

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You're not seriously supporting the irrational decision to routinely play Couthinho out of position because he was involved in one goal in a Micky Mouse competition ?

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, I'm using that match. Why not? He wasn't eligible for CL so the CdR final was one of the more important games he started for Barca. And he started in the "wrong" position and the entire team played brilliantly.

In any case, Iniesta is not around anymore so I expect Coutinho to be on the left a lot this season. Also because Dembele is a year older and hopefully healthy to play on the right now.

TitoTata repped this.