The Importance of Being Ernesto - The 2017-2018 Season thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Dude come on... It's probably one of the most important games of the season.. [emoji29]

Viscaelbarca and BocaFan repped this.
  2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, did a quick one and just posted it.

evil_allan repped this.
  3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early news ahead of the Match Thread for Tuesday's clash in Piraeus (it is the port city next to Athens, sort of the grittier twin city with better seafood), another 20 man 'travel squad' named with many absences particularly to CBs (Pique suspended and Mascherano still recuperating from fever BUT he is traveling with the team which is great), fortunately Vermaelen is cleared and should partner with Umtiti if Masch cannot play and start (both left footed, who plays on right?), and Iniesta out again (along with Rafinha, Dembele, Vidal, & Turan) means we have exactly 18 first teamers, so we are again traveling with 2 b-teamers, Ortola and Alena who might actually be our best Iniesta replacement (not that anyone replaces Andres). Surprised we'd bring Ortola and not a CB, guessing that means Masch can play:
    • Ter Stegen
    • Cillessen
    • Ortolá (31)
    • Nelson Semedo
    • Ivan Rakitic
    • Sergio Busquets
    • Denis Suárez
    • Suárez
    • Messi
    • Mascherano
    • Paulinho
    • Deulofeu
    • Paco Alcácer
    • Jordi Alba
    • Digne
    • Sergi Roberto
    • André Gomes
    • Umtiti
    • Vermaelen
    • Aleñá (26)

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Now things get really interesting in La Liga. Tough road ahead.

Sevilla (5th)
    @ Leganes (7th)
    @ Valencia (2nd)
    Celta (13th)
    @Villareal (6th)

5. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    So against both Atletico/Athletic,two high pressing fast physical teams,valverde does a tweaked 442 with gomes in between the lines on one wing.

The results were very interesting with Sergi Roberto/Rakitic/Gomes/Paulinho sitting in midfield ahead of busquets and behind Messi and Suarez.

You can call it a 3-4-1-2 of sorts.Athletic played very well but we managed a win.

I dont see us doing well with a 4-3-3 or even a 3-4-3.

6. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/11/0...weeks-following-injuries-champions-league-tie

Roberto and Shitmes injured for a 3-5 weeks , no more roberto as RB bullshit for a month and well .. If shitmes isn't playing then we won't have any issues in the midfield unless Valverde tries to make up some new ********ed up ideas like Lucho used to do ( and with the way he is coaching till now i see him likely to do that )

Forzabarca repped this.
  7. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Denis/Arnaiz/Alenya should get chances now. I forsee a great time with all of them,bench Suarez and play denis.

8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Saw reports that he was raving about Coutinho and how great he'd be for us ?

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They did play together for a season and change at Liverpool.

11. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #361 Gilmango, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Posted in the youth thread, but re-posting here in case you need a weekend Barca fix (mini estadi will hopefully be pretty full for same reason): Barca B host 2nd placed Huesca at 1:30 Eastern, 10:30 Pacific time in much of North America (so in 35 minutes).

EDIT - re-checked and Huesca is now in a 3 way tie for 2nd, and in 3rd based on Goal Differential. Top of Segunda: Osasuna 25 in 14 games; Granada, Huesca, and Lugo (?) all in 2nd with a game in hand, 23 points in 13 games. Barca is tied for 13th (of 22 teams) with 16 points from 13. Not too far from the drop zone 13 points--9 points for 19th-22nd.

12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Liverpool have agreed to sign Schalke midfielder Leon Goretzka in January after the player dismissed interest from La Liga giants Barcelona in favour of joining the Reds, according to Spanish news outlet ?Don Balon.

Looks like we ARE getting Coutinho !!

14. R.Baggio

R.Baggio Member

Apr 22, 2013
    It's Don Balon. They create like 539 rumours per hour!!

evil_allan repped this.
  15. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Haha who wants too join Liverpool instead of Barcelona? What a joke! Liverpool will only play in Europa League next season.

16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well IF the rumor was true the thing is the Goretzka if FREE if you wait till summer (you can sign as early as January, just wait till July 1 for him to join), or bargain priced if you sign now so he joins in January, he's younger, demands less salary, and doesn't need to start till after he adapts, so there's time to ease out an Ini or Raki as an automatic starter. Whereas with Coutinho, we pay a crap ton in transfer fees, and in salary, for a player who is expected to start right away. Oh and Coutinho is much older too.

So IF that was true it would be sad. I know Valverde said he wants a smaller squad, and only wants to sign starters, but the prices of these two players means one is a value and one is an overpay.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can’t argue with the money aspect except that I don’t know if Coutinho’s salary demands would be absurd . As for age , Coutinho is only 25 while Goretzka is 22. I don’t see that as a negative for Coutinho.

I’ve never watched Goretzka play so I don’t know what his style is. He is fairly tall so I assume it’s a bit different set of skills than Coutinho.

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Philippe Coutinho scored and created a goal against Southampton and now has 31 assists, the third highest number of assists for the Reds in Premier League history. Only Steven Gerrard (92) and Steve McManaman (58) have more than the Brazilian.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Surpassed the great Jordan Henderson and moved into the top 120 overall. :thumbsup:

20. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Well the reds haven't won much and his price tag doesn't justify going for him imo, might be a younger, better and cheaper one emerging after the WC. How does his stats look for all players in all PL teams?

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, see my post above yours for the stats comparison.

I think if we compare Countinho with Cesc 2011 it quickly becomes apparent how crazy Coutinho's price-tag is. Cesc was purchased for €34mn. And I know that was considered a lot in 2011, but there were other players sold for more that summer, as well as many for only slightly less. So €34mn wasn't an Earth-shattering amount even for that time.

Also Cesc was a notch better (and a year younger) than Coutinho is now. He had attractive variables - was familiar with Barca's style, EPL was stronger back then, he could play CM, etc.).

Of course Barca's situation is very different now compared to 2011, but I don't think desperation should add €50mn to a transfer fee. Liverpool is desperate too.

jfcule repped this.
  22. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree. We're not that desperate. We can afford to be a bit more patient and find other interesting alteranatives.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So el clasico kicks-off at 13h00 CET (7h00 ET :sleep: ) on 23 December. Ugh!

Round 17 of La Liga will be spead-out over 5 days, beginning with Levante v Leganes on the Tuesday and ending with three matches on Saturday - two days before Christmas (the Galician derby, a Valencia derby and el clasico).

Then teams return to action two days after New Years'. The lack of a winter break in England is the most overrated thing in sports. Its only 10 days between matches for Barca & other La Liga rivals (who then play more matches in January).

24. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras