The Importance of Being Ernesto - The 2017-2018 Season thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Damn that's low. I thought he'd get more faster.. think the good results are showing it's hard to convince moron socios. He won't make it.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Barca now favorites to win La Liga, FWIW. Bwin has them at 1.5 to win the league (bet $100 to win $50 net). By comparison, Juve are 1.91 to win Serie A.

3. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Barca are not favourites to do anything,our expectations are a trophy less season,thats all,maybe just the copa and with costa back in atletico,even thats not clear.

Forzabarca repped this.
  4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Good timing - spend spend spend :)

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Please god, no! Spending in January never seems to work well. I hope any vote is delayed until at least the spring.

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    #281 TitoTata, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Liverpool bought Suarez and Mascherano in the Jan window.

United bought Evra and Vidic.
    Chelsea bought Matic and Ivanovic .

Wolfsburg bought De Bruyne .

All bought in January .

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And how did Suarez help Liverpool in the second-half of the season he was transferred? Same question wrt De Bruyne?

I mean, I think it depends on the situation. If things are going well the last thing you want to do is bring in some big-name players in January and upset the balance, IMO. OTOH if you're out of the title chase then and you're in a 'nothing-to-lose' mindset it might be worth it to bring that star in so that he has time to gel with the team before the start of the following season.

8. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    January is far away,there is much football left before that.let us see how this team stands by then

evil_allan repped this.
  9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Most seem to agree that Suarez hit the ground running ...

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Exactly! Our starting XI already looks quite different this season compared to last. Lets see how this group plays together before talking about making even more changes.

11. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    One of the greatest transfers we've ever made, which few culés will recognize, was in the January window: Edgar Davids in 2004.

By that January we were in 12th(!!!) place and had just lost 3-0 at Racing. Everything in shambles. The Laporta project was crumbling. We had Ronaldinho but our midfield and defense behind him were garbage.

But Davids' effect as midfield pitbull was amazing. We rose to finish 2nd behind champs Valencia that year, grabbing 48 points in 20 matches.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I remember that. Instant results came after Davids joined.

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an amazing season and an amazing January loan transfer (we paid 2M but only had Edgars on loan), only with us for half a season but had a huge impact. As did Ronaldinho's transfer, Marquez's transfer, the loan of Gio van Bronkhorst, and the promotion of 3 youth players Valdes, Iniesta, and Oleguer. Quaresma transfer in not as successful, similarly the previously expensive signing of Riquelme was loaned out and we lost the 16 year old Fabregas to Arsenal.

BBC also made a documentary about it all, it's translated somewhere but this was the version I could find:
    Here's the english teaser/preview just 3 minutes long:

What is weird with Davids was that he was out of contract at the end of the loan, Inter signed him for a 3 year deal, weird that Barca did not try to keep him, but he was 31, and we signed Edmilson (and already had Motta) instead, plus Deco, Eto'o, Giuily, Belletti, and Sylvinho that next summer.

R.Baggio repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    2004 was maybe the best year to be a Barca fan in the last 25 years even though we didn’t win anything.
    In a sense it was better than winning a major title - we knew we were going to win titles soon. As sure as we were that the sun would rise the next morning.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I posted the whole video on the media thread a few years ago . It's a cool documentary .

I thought the same about Davids. But now I realized they were getting deco who was also a midfield workhorse .

inswinger repped this.
  16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I knew someone posted it here long ago, great video, I did not have the time to dig for it and see if the posted link was still working.

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I remember what an impact he had on us !!!

18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a great year, and also the swan song of many exciting Barca players too (Kluivert, Luis Enrique, Saviola (sure a bit of an overspend, and many thrills too), Luis Garcia, Cocu, Reiziger, Davids himself) and some duds Rustu and Enke let go as Valdes took control of goal straight out of La Masia and Joquera was brought in as back up, Quaresma (though he plus cash brought in Deco), perhaps Overmars (1.6M in transfer fee per Liga goal a bit too much).

inswinger repped this.
  19. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Those were the days and beginning of something amazing. I can still remember that special feeling and honestly I haven't felt that since 2004-2006. Guess it was because it was the start of something great and left a special taste in us who were being starved for great success for a long time and from then on just kept becoming better but still not the same high as 2005-2006 season with first ever CL since 1992. This Messi era is just out of this world but those years... Ooh the nostalgia!

inswinger and Gilmango repped this.
  20. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Yupp,best 2nd half of any season.Davids as DM and Xavi as a CM,he should have stayed,we would have swamped chelsea in 2004-05

21. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    and the next year we bought players like santi ezquerro and that RB Damia Albella and of course Uh Uh Ulague

22. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Edmilson/Belleti were all Rossell's signings

23. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

So was Ronaldinho!

24. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Ronaldinho transfer was helped by Rosell but the choice was obvious

25. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not so obvious. Don't forget we were publicly in pursuit of Beckham, which was Laporta's campaign promise, and Ronaldinho was supposedly a Plan B. I think it was in reality a great bit of brinksmanship by Laporta & Co. who knew all along Dinho would be the better choice to rebuild a squad around.

The spring of 2009, in Pep's first year, was another magic moment. We had 4 straight matches of incredibly difficult opponents one after another. On these boards it became known as the "Gauntlet." It was Sevilla, Valencia, Chelsea, LPB, Chelsea. The only hiccup was 2-2 at Valencia, but we smashed Sevilla, wrecked LPB 2-6, and of course the Iniestazo at Stamford Bridge. And then onward to the triplete. Good times.