The Impending Adu Breakout [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Casper, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Conventional wisdom on Freddy on these boards has, halfway through the first season, become "He's hurting DC," "Not contributing," "Undeserving All-Star," and the like. Based on the stats of the first half of this year, none of this is truly unfair. Novak has given him a reasonable amount of playing time, and we've seen low points of some Freddy-sniping and the like.

Why review this right now? Here's my reasoning - in the last couple of matches, Freddy has looked like the player of the U-17s and U-20s. In the Open Cup game against Richmond and the game against Dallas, Freddy was critical to creating any number of opportunities. He made a play against the Burn that was extremely comparable to his best moment of the year against LA, except that it didn't end in a goal. I saw teammates being deferential to him for free kicks, and looking to get him the ball to create something out of nothing. Partially, this reflects the absence of Convey, Kovalenko, and Olsen recently. However, I think it also reflects increasing confidence in Freddy from teammates. He was not far away at all on Saturday from having an amazing stat line for a severely outgunned team.

The next wave of Adu-lation is coming ... but this time, it may actually be based on results. I'm predicting an eye-opening August. He's rounded into form.

2. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Re: The Impending Adu Breakout

Until he is better off the ball, I don't think it will be too difficult to contain him. He did show a couple of nice flashes against Dallas on Saturday, but he was invisible for the other 89 minutes. And I'm not certain giving him the ball more helps because if he is not trying to individually beat players on the ball he doesn't seem especially effective in generating an attack.

3. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United

I agree with Softtackle. His off the ball movements are horrendous. He needs to learn a lot from the man Moreno about an offensive-minded player hustling to help out on some defensive efforts. Moreno understands that everybody plays defense.
    I remember a few instances in the Dallas game where I wanted to reach thru the screen to pick Freddy up and move him into a defensive position. It's as if he thinks that, no matter where he is on the field in relation to the ball, if the other team has possesion it is up to his teammates to play defense and get him the ball. On the other hand, I have seen improvement recently. I think his choices with the ball are getting better, but still not great for a full professional game. Sometimes he needs to pass the ball sooner, sometimes he needs to hold the ball longer (although he doesn't seem to mind doing that), sometimes he needs to actually make a run. The runs are something that all strikers need to learn, and execute effectively. I am guessing that in the youth national team games his teammates usually gave him the ball at his feet and let him do his thing. Fine for that level. Won't work in the MLS, and certainly not in Europe. MAKE SOME RUNS, FREDDY!

4. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago

I am sure all of our moves off the ball wouldnt be so hot if we were 18 and paying against guys in MLS. but the bottom line is the only goal they had againsta Dallas was because of Adu. I think the kid is gonna lite up this league eventually.

5. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva

Very timely Casper. Freddy has made some big adjustments- he has figured out what works and what doesn't against these defenders. He has had a bunch of good games lately. He's special dribbling the ball and crossing, and taking corner kicks.
    I wouldn't rip the DC United fans who criticised Adu-mania- it's their team, they didn't want their team to be used as a Freddy vehicle for non-dc fans, many of whom are very young, or are mainstream sportswriters, both of whom are clueless to varying degrees.
    But I think the time has arrived for the Freddy show to proceed as planned. He has been DC's best attacker in terms of breaking down a tough defense, for the last few games.

6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You may not have to wait until August...

I'd look for Freddy to have a big game Saturday at the All-Star game...

Why? Because it's an All-Star game...zero marking...

7. Hillbilly Thunder

Hillbilly Thunder New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Ballyhooed,CA

Don't worry! He's just signed on to endorse Clearasil. No need to worry about our little cutie resembling a pizza anytime soon. :p

8. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I expect Adu to see the ball early and often. The question is of course...Will he start? :D

I hope he lets one rip from 30 yards and beats whomever..

9. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC

I've definitely noticed a real pick-up in Freddy's level of play the last few weeks. I was very critical of him early in the season, and I agree that he still has a lot to learn when he's off the ball, but I think he's shown some really nice flashes recently. I think the Nottingham Forest game was the first game where I first started to notice this... and it's continued since then. (Perhaps it was because he had a chance to play out wide on the left instead of up top.)

His demeanor seems to be maturing as well. Less whining to officials, less pouting when things don't go his way, etc. I'd like to credit Nowak for this, but that's only speculation.

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Basically the pattern I envisoned was a burst at the beginning, and dry period in the middle of season, and then Freddy figuring things out and improving into end of season. So far, so good.

Next season, I think we'll see a big difference. We will still see some fits and starts, but less so. Physically much more capable, the entire media thing will be under control, and Freddy will have 5 months offseason to rest, grow, reflect, and mature. He'll be on a mission next year. It'll be (for the most part) his team, and it will show IMO.

The first couple months MUSTA been a blur for this kid this year. By next year, the speed of the game will seem much slower to him, and he'll be running much more/better off the ball....

Sit back and enjoy...

11. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva

hahahaha....THAT'S HILARIOUS.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"I agree" posts suck, so I say, I concur.

13. 4twoOVwalsall

4twoOVwalsall New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    England

There is no way what so ever this player should be anywhere near an all star game, let alone a competitive First Team Fixture.

He needs to get out of the USA and to Europe ASAP. This way he can be brought through a proper youth system rather than face the fact his career could be over with injuries by the time he is 21.

People are way to critical of him, and he is in the spotlight far to much. I think the Dutch have the best academy set ups in the world.

I feel sorry for Freddy Adu.

14. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Yeah getting rich for playing a game sucks ass. Man, I bet he's going to hate all the action he gets for the rest of his life too.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's impossible for 3 more years. FIFA has a rule against the international transfer of children.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

It's not much of a challenge when they walk right up to you is it?

17. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United

I would wait until you see how he does next season and not this season to start judging him.

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Bump - the kid's got skilz.

Some amazing passes tonite and a well finished goal.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll be no living with Casper now. :)

20. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Gaven blossomed last month of the season and been great this yr. I think we'll see similar path by Adu.

21. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Just finished watching the game. Adu looked sick!!!! Absolutely sick!! He made the guys look stupid on about 10 occasions

22. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Hopefully he'll play at attacking midfielder for the rest of the year; great game tonight.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair though, it's not exactly hard to make the current Rapids squad look stupid. Now if he had done it against somebody better, like say the Boulder Rapids Reserves, that would mean something.

Me bitter? No, why do you ask? ;)

24. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This should really be Bigsoccer's tagline. 50% of the people could read that, then leave without posting the identical post as uncountable others.

As in: Welcome to Bigsoccer. FIFA has a rule against the international transfer of children.

25. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I'll do my best.