The Impeachment Pool

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On what day (of the month of which year) does the U.S. House of Representatives vote - on the floor

1. On or Before January 20, 2018

8.7%
  2. On or Before January 20, 2019

23.9%
  3. On or Before January 20, 2020

10.9%
  4. On or Before January 20, 2021

7.6%
  5. None of the Above - Donald Trump finishes out one or two terms of office

48.9%
  1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elise Stefanik has parlayed a willingness to defend Cheeto into a GOP state cochair and I would imagine shitloads of cash to make my home district go back to deep red from purple.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was it? I'm rather busy at this time, so there are posts which I miss or intend to read the links and forget.

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, you don't get to drop accusations and then run off into the night. Sorry to be mean, but this machine is screwing up my country, and one has to counter it everywhere it gets traction, lest you guys wind up facing off against a Fourth Reich here rather than across the channel...

The "I'm okay-you're okay" approach to debate stops working when one side decides"you're okay but you keep winning-- I'm gonna stop being okay and do whatever it takes while you stay okay.""

soccernutter repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wait. What? Have you become a Republican? Or maybe just reading the Daily Mail ...

You have just adopted point #1 of this three-part Republican argument -

1) When Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton get money from giving speeches and writing books, that is corruption.

2) When any Republican, anywhere, any place, at any time, does the same thing, that is American work ethic, and by God don't you raises taxes to cheat those people of their hard-earned wealth.

3) When Donald Trump openly sells access to the Presidency while in office that is fine, move along now.

Although come to think of it, Bernie Bros believe that first part also, so maybe that's where you fit.

dapip, xtomx, charlie15 and 1 other person repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is why the Clintons should be banned from the thread, except for direct impeachment trial comparison re Bill

It leads to posters debunking the same tired conspiracy theories for the 1000th time but it's like a hydra with 10 heads

All of which has nothing to do with the Impeachment of Trump

xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bold is what I'm talking about. No doubt that Parnas has a lot of information, but it is very clearly meant to put him in a better negotiating position either by saying he has receipts on additional people, or by saying he has receipts on people who ultimately control the investigation.

When it comes to people in a position of power and wealth, the "cult-like" metric should be used with more caution. It is not that they are willingly saying things positive about Individual One, it is more that they are forced to if they want to continue to be in power or gain more wealth. People in McSally's position are more doing a kiss-the-leader's-ass thing but once the leader is gone, they will go back to being an individual and distancing themselves from him. This is different to the red-hat-wearing, "Hillary is a bitch" t-shirt-wearing band of people who see Individual One as having done nothing wrong and will willing drink the punch. It push really came to shove, and I don't mean in just political terms, I don't think McSally would drink the punch unless her family was threatened. And that goes for a lot of members of Congress. Sure there are a bunch like Nunes, Possibly even Cotton (R-Ak), but even guys like Kennedy (R-La) would not drink the punch unless some unforeseen threat comes to them regarding life.

7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting conversation..

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Post 4462

The question is not so much whether Parnas is being truthful (LOL) but what are his motivations

e.g. the WSJ origin story is that Parnas is some kind of moderately successful but dodgy Florida businessman who simply scoped the opportunity to buy his way in to Trump's circle. In that version, Parnas had no Ukranian contact network, but essentially worked a grift based on the cult like beliefs in the Trump orbit. But the Firtash connection casts a lot of doubt on that story. It seems quite possible that Firstash is the real source of the Biden scam, and Parnas in fact works for Firtash. I favour this view.

Secondly, why is Parnas running this huge media expose? Clearly self preservation is high on his agenda, but how does this achieve it?

There is a lot we don't understand here.

soccernutter repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you read the links I posted, (which are NOT from biased, right-wing hacks as far as I can see), they seem troubling...

https://www.vox.com/2016/8/25/12615340/hillary-clinton-foundation
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-foundation-idUSKBN12Z2SL
    https://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/hillary-clinton-emails-state-foundation-226897
    https://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/hillary-clinton-emails-state-foundation-226897

The thing is, this is all in the context of the involvement of money in American politics and the impact it has on the narrative put to voters.

As he asks, (the YT was prior to her defeat), what is the narrative so-called 'centrists' like the Clintons are putting to the voters?

dapip repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well yeah.

But the important question is we still don't understand what Parnas's core motivations are. Is he just a crook who got pinched? In which case your analysis holds. Or does he work for others? In which case dropping the partial motherlode might have a different goal.

The cult reference is because McSally went full Trumpian

She did a bit more than kiss arse

dapip repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Leaving aside the obvious point, (yes, I know all that), what's your point, exactly? That she's been doing it for a long time?

Have you forgotten what the argument is about?

Moishe repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the caution I'm talking about. He has receipts for a hell of a lot, but at this point it is one sided which so very neatly lines up with what we want to see. I'm not buying it is that neat, because things are never that neat.

What she did, she didn't do willingly. That is the point, and that is why the term needs to be given more caution.

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is simple and you know it. I am commenting on your innuendos. You wrote this below and responded to it.

IIRC Bill Clinton said that when he left office he was millions of dollars in debt and yet was well off some years later so the idea the money they raised was solely for AIDS drugs for African kiddies obviously isn't correct, is it.

xtomx repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Never saw Chelsea, Malia or Sasha at the remedial charity class:

President Donald Trump’s three eldest children have agreed to undergo a mandatory training seminar to ensure they don’t fraudulently misuse charity funds in the future.

The New York Times reports that, as part of a settlement the New York State Attorney General’s Office, three of Trump’s children “were ordered to undergo mandatory training to ensure they do not engage in similar misconduct” at future charities.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/12/tr...g-to-learn-how-to-avoid-defrauding-charities/

xtomx, ChrisSSBB and charlie15 repped this.
  15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To any rational observer those articles and the statements from Donna Brazile don't look good and instead of simply accepting that point people seem more concerned with constructing criticisms against the people pointing it out.

She was always a flawed candidate which is partly why she lost against a guy who is the WORST president anyone can remember.

With this obsession with Russia and trump's multiple failings, (all of which I agree with btw), people seem determined to repeat the mistake.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is right wing media, anti-Clinton phrasing. Because the insinuation is that they led to some kind of personal financial gain. As has been pointed out to you by several posters is that the Clintons were in heavy debt when they left office because of all the legal things the Reps constantly put on them, but their income post office could be fairly well calculated, in an underestimated manner, post election because of past president. But B Clinton hustled his ass off, as Jitty said, and he even got a massive book deal that was a game changer. But the Clintons also set up a charity to bring in millions because they are very good fund raisers, B Clinton being extremely good.

Many of the donors she did meet with — people like the crown prince of Bahrain and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Muhammad Yunus — were more or less exactly the kind of people you would think would be able to get a meeting with a Cabinet secretary.

So if there was no quid pro quo, does that mean Clinton's conduct was aboveboard? I interviewed four experts this week — and their answer was that the Clinton really did risk dramatically escalating an already serious problem with money’s influence in politics.

From your first link, they certainly walked the line, moved around in the grey area, but they didn't reap financial gain as your phrasing above suggests. Additionally, as what I quoted says, many of the people H Clinton did meet with were the kinds of people the SoS would meet in her position. And it happens that they are also wealthy. But this is not news, and rather than donating to a campaign to gain influence, those wealthy and powerful people donated to a charity who, IIRC, had and has a top level rating by watchdog groups.

Again, this is about the grey area. Was the line crossed? I have no doubt it was, but as noted there was very large amount raised for B Clinton's 65th birthday, and most of it was about access to B Clinton, himself (Not the Qataris). But to what end? B Clinton is a very well connected person. Could that have been a precursor to the WC bid for 2022? What that about a meet-and-greet with the SoS, who happened to be his wife? Or was there something else not related. The issue is lack of reporting, but considering how visible both the Clintons and their charity are, it would seem that somebody would have found something far more concrete between 2009 and 2016.

“It would be useful for Hillary Clinton to recognize that that kind of a behemoth fundraising operation was irresponsible,” Holman said.

I agree, and I suspect she is aware of that. I think it is naive to think she did not know that.

“I don’t think there was sincere intent to sell favors on her part,” he added, “but I know full well on the part of the donors that was their purpose. … They knew it was essentially throwing money at the feet of not only the secretary of state, but potentially the next president.”

And here is where the narrative goes to conspiracy. The Clintons have egos, B Clinton in particular. And they entered a world where there were already some very well named and very well funded charities. So they needed to be able to figure out how to insert themselves into that world. Thus their political connections were used to solicit donations. I don't think it is to far fetched to say that a country like Saudi Arabia, a country which has links to OBL, is quite discriminatory towards women, and a poor human rights record, would donate to the Clinton Foundation to make themselves look good. And a pleasant meeting of thanks with the US SoS was along the same lines.

Normally, he said, the conflicts arise out of requests from run-of-the-mill political contributors, rather than from foreign donors to a charity. But everybody wants a favor or access, “and of course many of the ambassadors are themselves contributors to the president’s political party.”

Oh, that sounds familiar. I think some guy is the ambassador to the EU or something like that.

As I read, that was not your initial argument. You started out by insinuating that H Clinton is corrupt because she is a good fundraiser.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Theres always a necro thread for you, Naughtius:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/fa...pposition-than-the-devil.414951/#post-9656531

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No she wasn't. She had a 70% approval rating in 2013, did nothing different, and was at 45% popular in 2016 because the right-wing media demonized her. The nonstop attacks for nothing -- and I do mean nothing, they never found a thing that was meaningful -- took 25 points from her popularity. The same would have happened to ANY Democratic nominee, and will again in 2020. Maybe this won will win, but believe me, he/she will be a corrupt and terrible candidate, that you will learn via the American media.

xtomx, Cascarino's Pizzeria and taosjohn repped this.
  19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn Greenwald, is that you? :rolleyes:
    Dude, you need to stop moving the goal posts. It is getting tiresome. My response was to your insinuations on the Clinton alledged corruption in raising money and what you wrote was utter right wing BS.
    Now if you want to talk about a flawed candidate, I am all ears since you spent a year singing praises of Saint Jeremy until he got a shellacking last month.

xtomx and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly.

I mean in ordinary course of US politics, you can simply make big political donations (e.g. to a super pac) and get access.

Indeed that is express in lots of these fundraisers where if you pays your money, you get a literal seat at the table.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A simple way to show that she was a standard DC pol not worthy of all the hate is take just about any Trump position and see where Hillary would be on it right now if she was in office.

Then throw in the DNC hacking, 25 years of anti Clinton Wingnut insanity and Comey's asinine October surprise. All that and she still won the popular vote.

dapip, xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Excellent simple analysis, and probably correct.

23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any politician would look good compared to Trump, even guys like Traficant.

Dr. Wankler and JohnR repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    They could have a hair-off to decide who's the worst

james-traficant-47a6b2c9-58b0-4b5d-8a9c-a2851817b2c-resize-750.jpeg

25. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting in the same sense as when a horde of birds pecks out your eyeballs.