The Impeachment Pool

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On what day (of the month of which year) does the U.S. House of Representatives vote - on the floor

1. On or Before January 20, 2018

8.7%
  2. On or Before January 20, 2019

23.9%
  3. On or Before January 20, 2020

10.9%
  4. On or Before January 20, 2021

7.6%
  5. None of the Above - Donald Trump finishes out one or two terms of office

48.9%
  1. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You severely underestimate the stupidity of voters.

raza_rebel, Q*bert Jones III and sitruc repped this.
  2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    You seem pretty confident that Minnesota will vote in two democratic senators in the same election. Me...not so much.

flowergirl and sitruc repped this.
  3. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Which raises the question: how the heck are the primaries going to work? Top 2 become the nominees?

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On occasion, they superseded our expectations. Not that it is saying much.

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure people are likely to split their votes between parties.

The same way any other election with multiple positions works.. There will be a primary for Kobach's senate seat and a separate primary for Franken's seat. I would imagine the strongest Republican candidate will go for Franken's seat since there won't be an incumbent..

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So you don't believe in treating women with humanity, and you believe in tyrannic rule.

You're a Republican, aren't you?

7. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. I'm just surrounded by them, related to them, and know how they think. They don't think rationally. You can't deal with them in a rational manner. I don't know why that won't get through some people's heads. Probably because they're thinking rationally.

dapip, Auriaprottu and raza_rebel repped this.
  8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    One thing to remember is that the Franken special election will be just one in a myriad of other big races in the state. That suggests a big turnout.

#1 The governor race. In many ways the 6 month budget battle between Dayton and Republican legislature helped overshadow the Franken story at times. The MN Supreme Court ruled in favor of Dayton a couple of weeks ago giving him a political win. Dayton is generally well liked, but his approval dropped to about 50% as the budget fight wore on. Voters in the end got tired of both sides. But now that the veto has been upheld, the voters will generally look back on Dayton as a governor who oversaw a budget surplus and full employment.

#2 The Amy Klobuchar senate seat. This should bode well for the Franken replacement race. Her approval is consistently above 50%, often over 60%. Last poll had her at 59% approval and 26% disapproval. That's about as safe as you can get in a purple state. Out of the 4 main senate contenders, she will be the most recognizable name.

#3 MN has 5 competitive House races next year. Three vulnerable Democrat seats and two vulnerable GOP seats. MN's 1st district will be an open seat because Tim Walz (Democrat) is retiring to run for governor (see #1). This seat was won by Democrat Walz last year with 0.8% of the vote in a district that leans GOP and Trump won 53%-38%. The district is getting bluer, but Dem should be underdog here. Minnesota #2 and #3 are perfectly split suburban swing districts held by Republicans. Both will be targeted heavily by Democrats since Trump is far less popular here. MN #7 is a district that has a PVI rating of +12 for Republicans and yet it has been held by Democrat Collin Peterson since 1990 ... one of the last blue dog Democrats in the House. His races get harder and harder every two years, but he still won by 5% in a district that Trump won by 31% so the safe money is on the survivor pulling it off one more time. And the last competitive race is #8 which is another red leaning district held by Democrat Rick Nolan who only won by 0.6% in a district that Trump won by 15%

Anyways the point is that Minnesota is lining up a lot of big exciting races next year so the Franken issue won't have space to dominate all the headlines. And @Yoshou, Minnesotans absolutely do split their votes perhaps more than any other state. I just showed 3 Democrats last year winning pro Trump districts. And one Republican winning a pro Clinton district. This is the state that voted Jesse Ventura, Michele Bachmann, the first Muslim in congress and the only state primary to pick Marco Rubio. These voters don't always follow the script so things are not always very clear cut.

Bklyn Royals Fan and Chicago76 repped this.
  9. Cop Shoot Cop

Cop Shoot Cop Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    OK, so my prediction of September 15, 2018 is not looking so good now. But I still am not conceding on this. Given what the former head of the CIA said today about the President, I think anything is still possible.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will not happen until after November.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I have absolutely no inclination to change my pick.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm thinking of modifying my vote to choice 3 and 5. The house voting on impeachment does not contradict Trump serving a whole term or 2. Just ask Bill Clinton or Andrew Johnson. I suspect the Democratic base giddy over a wave election will demand an impeachment vote regardless of whether they can get a conviction in the Senate.

13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Can you choose two options? I call shenanigans

14. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the Dems get gains in the Senate to lets say 55 (that # is probably unreasonable, given more Dems are up for re-election), it will be impossible to convict. Though the way Trump is alienating people, maybe a few Republicans will flip.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    More collusion evidence, more flipping. And they got their stupid tax cuts. So like a male praying mantis after finishing the deed, pretty soon Trump can be feasted upon.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I agree.

I still think it would be awesome* if overwhelming evidence of impeachable offenses is found against both Trump and Pence.

Leaving the following:
    Dem wave to take control of house and senate.
    Between Election Day and swearing in of new congress, Republican lead impeachement (house), Republican Senate all vote to convict....leaving Dems a choice of voting to convict Trump and acquit Pence and having President Pence, voting to convict both and ending up with President Ryan, or voting to acquit both and they both serve out their term.

*by awesome I mean the exact opposite of awesome

17. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If the Democrats are in charge of both houses, I'm not concerned too much which of the 3 stooges is president.

18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first post is designed to thwart song's devious tomfoolery :)

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pence has been pretty smart on staying clean about obstructing or Russian connections as far as we know.

So President Pence could happen.

American Brummie repped this.
  20. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Its all going to build up until 45 has a massive grabber. At that point Fox and the noise machine will declare Trumps ultimate victory, declare the entire investigation moot and over, and demand we all be sad.

21. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There is a McDonald's literally across the street from the New Executive Office Building. I hope a White House Aide is delivering Big Macs to Trump from there every day.

22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    This was obviously a protest vote to point out the failure to accommodate both an impeachment and a failure to convict in the senate thereby allowing Trump to complete his term.

If this happens....I declare myself the winner.

23. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think this underestimates how much the Republican Party is now the Trump Party.

24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yep. We are seeing a realignment happen right before our eyes.

25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhh.. Re-alignment? How so? Republicans have pushed fear and racism for well over 20 years now, purged their party of all but the staunchest of Conservatives, etc. The only thing that has changed is that the flock isn't hopping at the beck and call of the corporatists any longer..