The Impeachment Pool

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On what day (of the month of which year) does the U.S. House of Representatives vote - on the floor

1. On or Before January 20, 2018

8.7%
  2. On or Before January 20, 2019

23.9%
  3. On or Before January 20, 2020

10.9%
  4. On or Before January 20, 2021

7.6%
  5. None of the Above - Donald Trump finishes out one or two terms of office

48.9%
  1. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason why some of us picked dates in November and December 2018. The date is when the House votes on impeachment, not when the Senate has their vote on conviction or when a new President actually takes over. My thinking is that the Republicans lose the House in the November 2018 elections, and they hold a symbolic impeachment vote in the lame duck session in December, to take the wind out of efforts by the new Democratic House to really investigate. "We already had an impeachment vote, what more do you want?"

The Senate vote to convict requires a two thirds majority, so that's not happening unless Trump is so toxic that even red state Republicans have to go against him or face electoral doom. And if the shit he and his team have already done isn't enough, I can't imagine what will be enough. So realistically, he is sticking around for his full term.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Have we forgotten not only have people heard Trump say "nigger," but there is tape of Trump saying it and other shit while filming "The Apprentice?" Mark Burnett simply wouldn't let it come out.

3. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    For the record I selected on or before Jan 20, 2020. If only I'd suspect that it'll prolly take until Jan 21st 2019 with a Dem controlled house from the 2018 election.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But then no repug would vote against Trump, they might if they can get Ryan to serve the last 2 years.

5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I remember reading that here. But I've never heard it and I have my doubts that it actually exists/will ever see the light of day.

On the one hand it would be a game changer. On the other, the people who would be offended by it (AKA all sane people) are already motivated against Trump. I don't know how many minds it would change.

There is no bottom.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard Burnett say it in an interview, and that if he knew then what he knows now, he would make sure he had a copy of the tape. He just didn't think 45 would become so influential in politics.

Burnett also said there is more stuff, as well. But the legal agreement is more strict than most he has experienced.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Anyone remember that time Trump tried to make it sound like Putin called Obama a nigger?

8. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be honest, All the people that approve of him would probably cheer if they heard that tape.

raza_rebel and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There will be a few furrowed (white) brows, some tsk tsking in high places, but after the soundbytes are duly recorded, cheering will proceed unimpeded in those circles.

soccernutter, Boloni86 and song219 repped this.
  10. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I remember Tom Arnold being associated with the tape in some form or another.

EDIT: Wait found a source

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-to-have-footage-of-1482252896-htmlstory.html

And a blurb about why it hasn't surfaced to date:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/12/donald-trump-apprentice-outtakes

sitruc repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    FYI, The New Yorker this week (or last?) has a legal wonky article stating that Mueller is unlikely to come up with a "this guy must be impeached, it's an obvious felony" crime. Instead, he'll have various suggestions of bad intentions and bad behavior, meaning it will up to Congress to decide if such things are impeachable.

And you know how that vote will turn out.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

That was Jeffrey Toobin. He was on NPR's Fresh Air yesterday.

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/07/5690...rth-a-crime-legal-reporter-says-it-s-complica

GROSS: You know, it's just - if the president did obstruct justice like that to protect himself, what does it say if he can't be held responsible for that until he leaves the White House?

TOOBIN: Well, he can be held responsible, by the House of Representatives, by impeaching him. And that's, I think, the proper forum for it. Now, we are at a political moment where, certainly, the Republicans in charge of the House of Representatives will never investigate the president for obstruction of justice in an impeachment proceeding. But that's not to say that's the right decision. But I don't think it's accurate to say that, well, he can obstruct justice and then there are no consequences. Impeachment is a very serious consequence, and it is available to the House of Representatives today. It's just that they choose not to exercise it. But constitutionally and legally and politically, they could do it tomorrow.

GROSS: So the fact remains that it's possible that the president could have obstructed justice and face no consequences while he's in office?

TOOBIN: Absolutely​

13. Cop Shoot Cop

Cop Shoot Cop Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I know it has been said before, too many times to probably be worth repeating, but I feel compelled to do so anyway: impeachment of the President is a political process, not a legal (at least in the conventional imagining of the term) one.

I remain of the opinion that it will happen next year, though my confidence has diminished a little bit. But Mueller's efficiency is the basis on which I think sufficient information will be brought forth to make the impeachment process politically viable.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, that is where The New Yorker ended up. After doing a bunch of eye-bleeding legal analysis, the article ended by quoting Jerry Ford, who said that the definition of an impeachable offense is what Congress decides is an impeachable offense.

15. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which makes it especially stupid that the Dems have decided that now would be a great time to clean house and be the perfectionist morality party.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I will say this, it won't impress Republicans. They will take the fact that Democrats are resigning and Republicans are not as proof that the Democrats are the guilty party.

raza_rebel and flowergirl repped this.
  17. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Guilty and weak.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Weimar Republic.

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trent Franks R-AZ resigned yesterday after an Ethics investigation was started against him...

Boloni86 and soccernutter repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well yeah, if you're lower-level GOP and nuts, the rules are probably pretty similar for the parties. It's easy for the GOP to drop a Congressman. Not so easy a Senator or Presidential candidate.

Plus, Franks was really out there.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about? Franken is just as easily replaced as Frank. MN Governor is going to post a Dem to replace him..

22. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Not so sure. It's a political process and we're so polarized that there's no way we're getting to 2/3 to convict in the Senate anyway, short of evidence piling up to such an extent that partisan composition no longer matters.

I think the house cleaning makes perfectly good sense if you want to increase your chances at the House in the midterms. We're making a play for white moderate suburbia here. Not every person living there. Just a couple points. If we're pitching for a R+4 district and the generic ballot says Dems are favored nationally by 8, I'd feel a lot better if that can be ginned up to 10.

The House is what matters right now. Not Trump's removal or the Senate. We need one chamber to shut down the policy agenda and we need that chamber to even get the impeachment trial kicked over to the Senate.

23. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a very short placeholder period until a special election next year in a purple state.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit to Knave for this in the Franken thread:

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A purple state in a VERY anti-Republican/pro-Democratic election cycle and while there is already a Senate and Governor election scheduled. If the Democratic wave plays out the way it currently looks, losing Franken this year probably couldn't have worked out better for the Dems.