Rumor: The impact of the FIFA scandal on the Americas?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by The Germans are coming, Jun 7, 2015.

1. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    I am reading alot about South and North America concerning the FIFA scandal all throughout the papers I read. Die Welt, Die zeit, Der Spiegel, The Telegraph and The Guardian... but what all of those papers have in common is that they are not form South or North America. I hope some of you, especialy from South America can keep us updated on the impact that this scandal is having on your football federations.

After all it is you who got hit first and hit hardest, with all arrested being officials for that region.

I know a bit about Brazil and the CBF because I read several books on it. Havelange and his marketing and corruption shemes are supposedly what started all the corruption in the CBF. He together with Ricardo Teixeira, Jose Marin and Jose Hawilla built up a bloated and incompetent CBF infested with corruption that sucked the money out of the leagues, made gigantic revenues from marketing the Brazilian national team and selling of Brazilian talent to Europe. As a result the leagues are irrationaly structured, the facilities poor and the clubs are all in deep debt as no money from the commercial sales comes down to them as it is bagged by the likes of Teixeira.
    I find it very joyfull that Teixeira is being indicted and Jose Marin Marin was arrested. Teixeira being one of the biggest money grabbers in the CBF and Jose Marin not only being a thief but having a shady past in the Brazilian military junta and also being involved in the tortchure and murder of the journalist Vladimir Herzog. But is all of this really starting the massive reforms that articles like this one from the guardian are suggesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/06/fifa-fallout-brazil-zico-sepp-blatter

Or are European journalists out of touch with the situation on the ground?

I know embaressingly little about the Argentinian and Uruguayan FAs. Only that they were also run by old corrupted bags for up to 30 years of which some never kicked a ball, managed a team or owned a club - but several had a rather shady past under previous military juntas. generaly in most of South America things seem to be run by such old bags who bag up the profits whilest the domestic game suffers.
    And in an article by Der Spiegel I read that the Chilean president told the FA that they had to vote against Blatter, is that true?

Please. Tell us more about the situation on the ground. Your region was hit by this and if it is your region that can reform itself, it will mean that others can to. Rather than focusing eyes on Zurich, what is currently happening in South/Central and parts of North America is more important to the world in my opinion. Because it will show if football confederations can be reformed.

2. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly there was a former Chilean player that wanted to run for president back in 2011 on an anti corruption/reformer message. But couldn't get anyone to nominate him, not even the Chilean FA. So he never appeared on the ballot.