The "How Can they Justify Beck's Pay?" thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by golazo68, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: 5 years $250million- THEY WERE KIDDING RIGHT?!!!!!

you guys are f**king hilarious!

This guys has now single handedly given MLS more publicity in 1 hour than the entire history of MLS and you still complain.

What d'ya think its gonna cost to be the bets soccer league in the world. You want the best players, you want publicity, you want fame. There's barely a sportsman on the planet that can deliver what Beckham gives.

Enjoy it, or go watch USL.

As far as Christian Gomez goes, yea what a huge impact he makes to the league. You can have ten of him, we'll take Becks any day!!

2. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

Uh, I think Shaq makes twice that, and yes he does get to keep all his imaging..

3. timmy17

timmy17 New Member

Oct 17, 2000
    Re: MLS Economics 101

And doesn't this mean that the Galaxy jersey sponsorship deal is now worth much more than before? So maybe they cut a 50/50 deal with him on the annual jersey deal. Not sure how much this is worth, but a few million, seems like to me.

4. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You can't be the best league in the world if you don't have a league, and making ridiculous deals with players that won't even be the best on their team is a good way to not have a league in a country that barely watches as it is.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

and MLS/AEG look to be paying Becks only $3mil a year.

seems like a solid business move.

6. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i bet Figo feels like an idiot getting less and going to a country in which i doubt his wife will get out much.

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except that a dozen Christian Gomezes would not bring in the television or sponsorship money of one David Beckham. This is the only player on the planet who could command this sort of money in the United States.
    Might be, we'll see.

8. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My wife called me this morning at work and told me to buy DCU vs. LA tickets at RFK. We'll most likely make a drive to Columbus to see CLB vs. LA. Add in the kids and we're talking at least 8 tickets sold this year that wouldn't otherwise have been sold.

My wife, and thousands of other people like her couldn't care less about C Gomez, but she knows Beckham. This is going to be big bucks for MLS.

9. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Was used as an example to show how his salary would be lower if he retained 100% of everything. I'm quite sure the league is making a pretty penny off of O'Neil Miami heat jerseys, and posters, t-shirts, etc etc etc.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

take a breath, slow down. read how the DP rule is scheduled to work. read about the money Disney/Univision and adidas (and others) have committed to MLS for the long term (longer than Beckham's contract).

MLS doesn't want to be the best league in the world at this point, or with this signing. they just want to improve. and i think they're doing so safely and in a more exciting way.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

is he really set to move to an Asia club?

why not get out of that deal and go to NE? Ronaldo seems to be on his way to NY, and Becks is certain to have a nice time in LA.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't confuse profitability with quality of play. This is 100% about the former -- and I say that as someone who is very much in favor of this.

13. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, maybe. Except Anschutz probably doesn't want to pay the salaries of all his competition's best players.

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/2007/01/beckham_to_mls_.html

15. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: The 'let's financially justify 4 yr/36m for Beckham' thread

We should sign him, too. Imagine the publicity THAT would generate!

16. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005

ESPN Radio (en espanol) was saying that he is getting like 2million in euro/year
    and that he will have 100% of his image rights
    they also reported that Real Madrid had 50% of his image rights and that last year he had been average about $50million dollars just in that alone!

that is how they are stating that he will get $250 million dollars in 5 years!

I may be wrong, but he hasn't sign a paper yet, and the MLS has gotten more coverage in the last couple of hours then what they gotten in the past!:D

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

a jersey sale is not an image.

Beckham can appear in ads and on billboards and he keeps that.

for all LAG #7 jersey sales, that money goes to MLS and adidas, does it not? or do players get a cut for each of "their" replica jerseys sold?

18. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

I actually think this is silly by Ives.

The image rights WERE part of the Real Madrid deal. They ARE part of the deal for any deal signing Beckham.

Even technically, you could call it a $250m deal since that's how much is likely in play here.

His $44m in image rights MAY go down, but they could just as well go up too in the short-term. He's in a special class, and it would be risky to bet he falls off the map anytime soon. (endorsements).

In that sense, the 250m is not a bogus figure.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wondered when Idiot Boy would show up.

20. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA

Beckham is old and tired. What is going to happen after the first season when the novelty wears off? Beckham is not an entertaining player. If MLS was going to shell out an insane amount of money they should have bought Ronaldinho or Christiano Ronaldo. Players that not only get media attention but can play and entertain and still have many good years left. A 31 year old benchwarmer in Spain who in 2 years might not be able to keep up is not a good investment.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another reason Ives gives me the hives.

Whoever came up with the idea of floating that number is cunning, not an idiot.

22. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

good point. But to some others, i thought I addressed t.v deals from the beginning. NO ONE WATCHES SOCCER IN THE UNITED STATES. IN MOST CITIES WITH MLS TEAMS, THE AVERAGE PERSON WALKING AROUND CAN NOT TELL YOU THE NAME OF THE TEAM. THERE WILL BE NO BIG TV DEALS FOR DAVID BECKHAM. Unless it's to broadcast all L.A games in Asia or something of that nature. Other than that, nada. It might up attendance at L.A home and road games, but at home I don't think L.A was having a problem selling tickets. This is about to be the NASL all over again. Now their are talks of Columbus after 34 yr old Brian McBride for $2million a year. Depending on the length of that contract that could be a good deal. The problem is that it looks like MLS is going to very quickly become a spot for aging Euro players, Americans included to come and be overpaid. And with Mr Kellers team in Germany looking like it could be relegated, how much will he be expecting when he makes his return next year?

23. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Re: The 'let's financially justify 4 yr/36m for Beckham' thread

It sounds very expensive indeed, but the first question I'd ask is How accurate is the reported figure?

24. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe Figo is off to Saudi Arabia.

25. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT

Not sure if the text is yours or not, but I think throwing that kind of number around is fantastic!!

It will get the attention of all the Neanderthals in the US Sports establishment that there is real money in Soccer - whether you count it as salary or endorsements, or image ownership, who cares? It creates as splash and will make some athletes somewhere second guess their decision to give up soccer and play pointy-ball or basketball. It will also get some corporate folks to stand up and take notice...

This is good news all the way around. I do agree that it's a bit misleading with how the original headline reads, but it is a way to get MLS pub and give Beckham a nod to being so valuable even though he's stepping down a couple levels competitively speaking.