The home stretch: U.S. U20s prepare for the Finals

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Seems like there's use for a single thread we could use to track U.S.-specific things like...
    • Pool player performance, health and other news
    • Outside-the-pool player updates of note
    • Pertinent interviews from Ramos and others
    • Schedules (camps, friendlies, etc.)
    • Actual camps (rosters, schedules, match reports/highlights)
    • Provisional and final rosters
    • Other stuff I forgot...
    The roster picks and current MLS/USL & NASL/YA threads still seem perfectly fine as well and this isn't meant to replace them but more to track hard news and details as we get closer to the Finals.

As to schedules, here are some observations and figures:
    • Past pre-Finals camps
      • In 2013, Tab held one gathering before the Finals (France, May, 20 players)
      • In 2015, Tab held two gatherings before the Finals (England, March, 20 players; Austria, April, 20 players)
    • Provisional roster due date (35 players inc. 4 GKs) -- still TBD (I think)
      • Provisional roster picks are the only players eligible for the final roster
    • Final roster due date (21 players inc. 3 GKs) -- at least 10 days before the tournament's first match on May 20
    • Injury replacements to final roster can be made up to 24 hours before the team's first match on May 22
      • Provisional roster picks are the only players eligible for injury replacement)
    Finally, here's a link to current cycle callup data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lfMvt087D65kHEJtitNuODh4dPgpKCQTi6Ae9VJ2c0g/edit?usp=sharing

Of course, I'm really more interested in the NEXT U20 cycle, which could be our best ever.

;)

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I know you are joking, but I think we better get good results this cycle because I just don't see next cycle matching this one.

As for this cycle, do we know when the camps are for this team?

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I've seen nothing about timing of the camps, but I would guess that there will be one in May relatively close to the tournament, and perhaps one more. Given the number of players that Ramos presumably wants to see/try to incorporate, and the fact that the tournament doesn't open until May 20, there would seem to be time for more than one camp.

(Zelalem wasn't called in before the Finals last cycle, and my lousy memory has him not even playing in the last warmup matches. A few other guys that ended up playing important roles also had very little involvement with the U20 program during the cycle for various reasons -- Payne, for example, as well as Rubin.)

4. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Camp in about a week somewhere in Europe. My guess is England but don't quote me on it! Now who'd be invited, your guess could be better than mine.

Gorky, Peretz48 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Really hope that:

Jones gets his FIFA clearance soon;
    Glaad gets healthy;
    Farfan gets enough MLS looks to capture Tab's interest in a call-up;
    At least one of the Schalke trio breaks through with the first team;
    Tab doesn't ignore Akale at Villareal;
    Cannon gets some first-team minutes before the roster is set;
    Perez gets another shot in SerieA;
    A forward starts scoring so much he can't be ignored;
    Vom Steeg gets another look to show how he's improved this year;
    Borges gets healthy... and signs a pro deal soon.

CTS26, bsky22, Mario Balotelli and 5 others repped this.
  6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there's an April camp in England

Don't get your hopes up for Glad

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @NatsAbroad's Tweet:
    847128744284356608 is not a valid tweet id

CTS26, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Has not been brought into the U20s yet, though he was a U.S. U18. (Don't think he's been in the mix since 2014.) That said, late additions to the pool are not impossible or unheard of under Tab, and I'm sure he wants more competition at that position.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The better Pulisic plays and the more out of reach he is for the U20s the more I want him to play in the YWC.

bsky22 repped this.
  11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    847162507064168450 is not a valid tweet id

bsky22 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it would be smart to send him to the U-20 WC, if it doesn't conflict with Dortmund's schedule.

I know everyone says that they want the best lineup for the NT, but I think we are in a good position to qualify, and we have the easiest home game, and the hardest away game in the next round. Without Pulisic, we should beat T&T at home. Without Pulisic, we should lose to Mexico on the road. Thats not to say there couldn't be other results in those two games, although I highly doubt we won't beat T&T at home, regardless of who plays, but I think there's a very good chance we will manage three points in the next two games, and be further on pace to qualify.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is where I'm at, in terms of my picks (semi-realistic edition).

GK: Vom Steeg, Marcinkowski, Scott
    Defenders: Fossey, Cannon, Carter-Vickers, Redding, Trusty, A. Robinson, Farfan
    Midfielders: Palmer-Brown, McKennie, Adams, Jones, Perez, Taitague, Lewis, Pomykal
    Forwards: Wright, Ebobisse, Lennon

I'm not including Pulisic because of how unlikely it is that he'd play, although I think he should play. If he did, get rid of Pomykal. No Glad because of BShredder's comments on the likelihood that he plays, although if he did, get rid of Trusty. If Jones isn't eligible in time, Williamson or Zelalem should come into consideration. Other position battles are Trusty and M. Robinson for the last CB spot, Borges and Farfan for the last LB spot, Lewis and Akale for a wide midfielder spot. Also, I'm not really sure there's much of a competition here, but I think we were one short in deserving 97's and 98's in attacking positions, so I added Pomykal because he's done pretty okay for FCD. If Tillman wants to switch to the USA, he could instead take that place. If not, Pomykal should be the pick. Besides that, I don't have many spots as up for grabs.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Has been noted elsewhere, but it seems safe to say that Niko Hämäläinen, who recently appeared for Finland in YNT friendlies against the Netherlands and Australia, is out of the picture for this tournament.

Kai Koreniuk has been recently tweeting a bunch about Pulisic and the U.S. team, among other things. Make of that what you will, or maybe just nothing. ;)

CTS26, sXeWesley, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Christian experiencing Azteca will do more for him than anything the U20 WC has to offer.

sXeWesley, TxEx, Namdynamo and 1 other person repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He experienced the Bernabeu. Azteca has lost a lot of its shine, also. They don't always even get full stadiums anymore.

I'm not sure it will do so much for him to play in the U-20 WC, but if we have Pulisic, I think we are one of the tournament favorites. We've never won one of these tournaments. If we win one, I think it would be big for US Soccer from a marketing standpoint. It could really help our program. Not that I think it makes a difference on the field, but I think it'll make a difference in the perception of our program.

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it DID conflict with Dortmund's schedule.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Very unlikely. It would require them to beat Bayern in the German Cup Semi-Finals or to get to the Champions League Final.

Their final Bundesliga match is two days before our first match, but that match likely won't mean anything, and even if it did, he can miss our first match. He's good enough that you play one player down the first match to have him play the others.

19. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense, these points are crucial....you absolutely need him for every game we play, he's the entire offense

sXeWesley repped this.
  20. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    World Cup Qualifiers are pretty close to the U20 WC, I thought that was the real concern.

ShadowMoses2 repped this.
  21. ShadowMoses2

ShadowMoses2 Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Austin, Tx
    Pulisic is a once in a generation prospect, so let's pretend that we don't have him and see how good our U20s are without him. I also think this group of guys can do even better than last cycle without him if we bring in our other best U20s like Wright, McKennie, and Perez.

CTS26, sXeWesley, largegarlic and 3 others repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Its likely that Pulisic will play in the WCQers and the Gold Cup this summer.

I know folks want to do as well as possible at the YWC, but Pulisic is now a full-time member of the full senior national team. We don't need to overburden him with games. I know he's 18 and fit, but come on.

I've already written Pulisic off for this roster.

Carter-Vickers, who I was worried about when then club football season started.............now seems much more likely.

sXeWesley repped this.
  23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a waste to bring CP to the U-20 now. It's a really unnecessary risk. He's needed for the senior team and every point matters - gelling more with the team (which will likely have Johnson in the midfield in June, so an important change) and trying to steal points in Mexico. Far, far more important for us.

Youth events are for kids trying to break through and make a statement - that's not CP.

sXeWesley repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pulisic with the senior team also opens up a roster spot and opportunity for another kid on the U20 roster.

Youth events are a means to an end, not an end unto themselves.

sXeWesley, Werdman89 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    please direct me to some info re this player.