The Healing Power of Faith

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Bluto11, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Should maybe cross post this in the Health Forum, but the cover story in this month's National Geographic is about the healing power of faith.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/12/healing-science-belief-placebo/

Here is the section that blew my mind:

Bolded part is mine. Placebo surgery and it worked. Mind blown.

luftmensch repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Placebo Effect is real and powerful, even if you know you're taking a placebo it can work, not sure I'd call anything about it faith healing though. I've read various things over the years about it and saw a good short piece on a recent CBS Sunday Morning segment that's probably still on their site.

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't call it faith healing either. I knew of the Placebo effect with regards to taking pills, but not from surgery!

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Call it placebo, call it faith, the result is the same. The mind influences the body, thus changing someone's state of mind, even by tricking it, can have a positive effect on their body. A fake pill sometimes can heal, a fake surgery sometimes can heal, and so can a faith healer.

luftmensch repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good old memories of when my grandma took me to some guy that fixed me up with a chicken feather and an egg. A lot cheaper than a "real doctor".

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you sneer at the GOP replacement for Obamacare for the poor like that ;)

song219 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are published scientific papers out there indicating that prayer does help/heal others. They are small, something like 9 people praying for 3 sick people, but the indications are that prayer worked in those cases. Worked meaning that there was some improvement for some measurable amount of time.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States