The Hate-Filled Totalitarian Gay Lobby!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Guardian, Jan 31, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tax code may be based on tradition in this case but there is no doubt it can be used as a political tool and a way to influence behaviors.

Giving tax deductions for marriage, children, house ownership etc is a direct way for the government to encourage those activitivies.

Separating the institution of marriage from the societal recognition of couple based, long term relationships between committed adults (ie. civil unions) makes perfect sense to me.

Civil Union = government defined entity to ensure civil rights and equal treatment of all citizens

Marriage = religious defined entity

2. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope that was sarcasm?

3. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly off topic but I think it is ironic that the groups that support these tax breaks argue against social engineering.

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't get it either. Is it that legal benefits should be taken away from all marriages?

5. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or given to all single people. Adding to discrimination does not take away from discrimination. Well, maybe it does but increasing the numbers that benefit from it doesn't make it right.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I meant at an individual level, but I think the gay lobby on this particular issue is fighting for the wishes of the individuals in their community. Of course I assume that they do also have a general agenda of trying to make being gay and the gay lifestyle more acceptable in our society, which is understandable. But in simple terms, I think people just want to be able to get married to the person they love and have society accept it and acceptance by the State is a big part of it. That is what they are fighting for.

Here in California gays already have available to them the choice of domestic partnerships offering the same legal rights as married couples. And yet there is still a huge and very emotional fight over gay marriage, including propositions, legal challenges, public demonstrations, and lots of money spent both by proponents and opponents of gay marriage. And that has also been the case in other places, like in Argentina, and I believe pretty much everywhere where gays were given civil union rights but not the right to call it marriage. They kept fighting, because the legal perks were not the key issue.

This should tell you that the issue is not just about the legal perks, but rather about the desire by gay people that the state recognize the rights of gay couples to get married. Both proponents and opponents of gay marriage understand this.

7. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was corrected on this the other day. The term "lifestyle" is derogatory when the word Gay is put in front of it.

There isn't much else to disagree with in your post. I suspect that at the individual level there are some people that want to get married for "love" and some that want to get married for benefits. I don't have any reason to believe that same sex marriage would be any different.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Traditional marriage" is a nonstarter. Traditional marriage was developed to provide a source of domestic slave labor for men.

The question is, what is marriage now? Why does it exist as a legal institution? I have my ideas as to why, and I've expressed them more than once on these boards. Marriage does not exist to pair people up for procreation. It hasn't served that purpose since around the time birth control became widely available and effective.

Marriage doesn't exist so society can approve of other people's love. Nobody in the history of love has ever felt so in love with someone that he needed to sign a contractual agreement with that person. The rights and responsibilities of civil marriage exist for a reason.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Now we have the free market for that

10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    And to cement political allegiances, and provide a religiously sanctioned way of procreating. Essentially products of a patriarchal society, but more than just slave labour. Not saying this wasn't the end result, but you could quibble over whether it was truly developed to provide a man with a women as a domestic servant.

11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point being, "Traditional" marriage is just another way of saying "marriage as defined by the religious right", not some admirable ideal.

12. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes, this is where the opponents of gay marriage have not been forthright in their arguments in the various gay marriage lawsuits. When asked to identify the purposes for "traditional marriage" as a legal institution, it is impossible to ignore that legal marriage reflects the pervasive and long standing discrimination against women. Trying to spin it as being some type of equal and romantic legal partnership is revisionist history and plainly not accurate.

13. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I was speaking more in a historical sense. As much as the religious right has continued or co-opted that, I agree.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I would substitute in "was" and then you are correct. It seems pretty obvious to me that we are heading in a direction that the religious right will not like but will have to accept.

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It doesn't engender a pretty picture in one's mind does it.

16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    How can we ignore the whole tying men down thing though? Up till now, and probably still, it's always been in a woman's best interest to have a devoted partner so she's not left alone with a baby. Marriage has been for the purpose of keeping the man there, and that's at least as much in the woman's interest as the man's. It's also keeping the peace, where people are theoretically supposed to stop competing to tempt or drag away your partner.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On Question Time last night (BBC1) was the brilliant Dr David Starkey the historian. It was interesting how a homosexual atheist would speak out against the ruling against the Christian Foster parents and the Christian B&B owners because of their views on sodomy.

Unusually, he was roundly applauded by the whole audience at the finish of the show. Maybe after Littlejohn's piece (arguing that the show has had it's day) they didn't fill it up with so many Leftie activists this time.

18. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really though. Marriage was invented by male-dominated society, not as a collaboration between men and women. Does a woman really need a devoted partner? If she has a network of other women to help her care for the children, she won't be left alone with the baby. If she has the power to earn income and the right to control it, then she doesn't need to depend on a man for her own survival. Patriarchy created a situation in which women were dependent upon men economically, making marriage the only viable survival option for most women.

The essence of marriage, historically, is the need to assure paternal bloodlines. You always know who the mother of the child is. A woman can sleep with as many men as she likes, yet always be sure that her offspring are actually hers and that her genetic line is continuing. Men like to spread their seed around to increase chances of keeping their line going, but they can never be sure if it's working. Marriage is (was) a very convenient way for men to guarantee the continuation of their genetic line. Concepts like virginity, chastity, and monogamy arose to serve men's need to know whose child was whose, to be sure they were reproducing, and to be sure the inheritance went to their real sons.

So when I talked about slave labor, I did not just mean general domestic tasks, I meant it as a pun as well. Wives were slave labor labor. Get it?

The point being that marriage did not arise as a way for two people to express their love, or a way for society to guarantee the perpetuation of the species (people get on pretty well with that aim regardless). It didn't come about to create stable families in which to raise children, and it didn't come about to make people have to approve of other people's sexual preferences or love choices or whatever. It arose as a convenient system for men to dominate women, and as crazypete mentioned, it also had the added benefit of cementing political allegiances, strengthening the power and influence of the church, yadda yadda yadda.

It's a blatant lie when gay marriage opponents claim that traditional marriage is between one man and one woman. It's a lie (or an ignorant misconception at the least) to claim that traditional marriage was intended to promote procreation. Those claims simply are not true historically.

Marriage has been a lot of things in a lot of places and time periods. The question to ponder now is what marriage is and should be today. Harking back to some notion of tradition is pointless and, frankly, dishonest.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A better question is, does a person need a devoted partner, to which the answer is, yes!
    That's idiotic.

Other women won't care for a child's father should. Why should they... it's not their child. The fact that some men are shit-heads doesn't change that because so are some women. I'm not trying to be nasty but you're just confirming how little you know about people and, well... about life, when you make ludicrous sweeping generalisations like these comments.

Having said that I agree that marriage is a red herring and totally irrelevant. That's the case today and it's probably always been the case, 'patriarchal society' or not.

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are totally misunderstanding what I wrote.

I was talking about the genesis of marriage as a social, cultural, religious, and legal institution. The idea was proposed that marriage, at its origin, benefited women by guaranteeing them help in raising children. Prehistorical societies were generally tribal, and women most certainly did share the child-rearing duties communally. In many societies they still do. So it is simply false to say that women, before marriage arose, were left alone with their babies, or that if marriage had not been invented they would be left alone with their babies. Just not true.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, fair enough in those terms. I agree that marriage is an irrelevance in the modern age I suppose and, on that basis alone, there's no reason why gays shouldn't be allowed to do it if they want.

22. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would definitely not say that marriage is irrelevant in the modern world. What I would say is that the reasons for its relevance have changed drastically and fundamentally.

23. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selective breeding (especially among the upper classes), the acquisition of property and/or power, and social pressure. I'm sure I left something out. Love? :D

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What would you say are the reasons why marriage is relevant today? Other than the tradition, the symbolic meaning of love and commitment, the religious aspect, and the legal perks?

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were there ever any other reasons? :p