The Green Card Queue: Who Could Be Next?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by BostonRed, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    TOAzer, CMeszt and VBCity72 repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those holding out hope that Jack Harrison would get his US citizenship and somehow be eligible for the USMNT... not gonna happen:

He'll have to surrender his Green Card at some point and it's not a good idea for him to have to pay the taxes to the US required as a Green Card holder who isn't going to be back in the US to stay anytime soon.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played one game for their U-23 team last year that cap tied him before getting his citizenship so he never was going to be able to play for us.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know that... but you'll find a post or two quoting a journalist who thought that wasn't the case. This was just *absolute* confirmation that it "ain't gonna happen."

5. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha.

6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    @BostonRed was likely accounting for the possibility of FIFA changing its statutes (Isn’t that how Fabian Johnson was able to switch? He was cap-tied for a sec I believe.)

Also @BostonRed hates the inaccurate tweets of ignorant plebeians who sully the knowledge of the soccer populous and feels glad that they have been relieved of this particular deception.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stumbled across this:

It takes a high level of gullibility to believe:
    1) Today's environment is friendly for Green Cards issued to an Albanian
    2) MLS has *any* pull with the US government

CMeszt, DHC1, OWN(yewu)ED and 3 others repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he is a close relative to Melania's family, I highly.......hiiiiiighly doubt in that lol

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know....................

Supposedly Roland Lamah of FCD is close to a green card, and he's only been in MLS a year. Notice this facebook post is from October.

https://www.facebook.com/danielstew....1510052765./1017671725040841/?type=3&theater

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the speed is based on having attorneys who know what they are doing and being willing to submit for a Green Card right away.

This post pretty much says that he now has a Green Card.

Winoman repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    By any reasonable measure, virtually any DP or TAM player should qualify for the special talent category. Easy green cards will be the standard from now on.

mike4066 repped this.
  13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that any of them will be making a USMNT appearance anytime soon (or at all), but Minnesota United's Rasmus Schuller, Francisco Calvo and Abu Danladi have all received their green cards, with Sam Donaldson and Jerome Theisson next in line.

edcrocker, BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sebastien LeToux is retiring, so he's off the list:
    993476435691167745 is not a valid tweet id

TOAzer and edcrocker repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Michael Barrios has obtained his Green Card now.........................

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2018/...manent-resident-card-no-longer-counts-towards

Probably irrelevant. Already 27. A speed player that will have diminishing speed by the time he becomes a US citizen.

BostonRed repped this.
  16. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking back 20 years, we could have used some speedy attorneys as much as speedy players. 2 names that come to mind of players who never got their green card in time and ended up playing elsewhere: Gio Savarese and Sharlie Joseph. I'm sure there were many more.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You know...............people talk about Rossi a lot.
    They don't talk about Vedad Ibisevic of St. Louis and SLU (and also played for Chicago Fire Premier). When their careers are over (Rossi's might already be), one may suggest that Ibisevic's is better. Been in Europe at a pretty high level since 2004. I don't think he ever became a US citizen. The timing just didn't work out................................

Zinkoff and largegarlic repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Shalrie belongs on the list. The rules were different then, and IIRC he was cap tied to Grenada at age 18.

He cost himself a ton of money with that decision. I am one of his biggest fans as a player, so maybe I’m biased, but I think he would have been our #6 for two full cycles, showcasing his immense talents and making him eligible for a WP in England.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    FWIW he got engaged.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re.../comments/7ksjzn/julian_gressel_gets_engaged/

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit on the Green Card process:

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/2018/3/1/17066212/mls-green-cards-immigration-process

The article spends most of its time on Atlanta's situation, but has a interesting section:

... most pro players get an EB1-A green card reserved for an “Alien of Extraordinary Ability.” (Think Tito, not Superman.) This type of green card is reserved for people who are recognized as exceptional in their professional field within the arts, sciences, or sports.

From there, the EB1-A green card application process can begin. The first thing the team does is gather documentation proving just how amazing the player is. These documents can include: letters from former teammates and coaches, mentions in the media, individual or team accomplishments, and the recommendation of their home country’s soccer federation. Basically, Rosen says, the team needs to showcase the player and demonstrate “where they stand in the world of soccer.”

The EB1 (as it is more commonly called) is easier to get than the EB2 green card, which is what most average workers get when sponsored by their employers. These are considered "Aliens of Exceptional Ability" and generally take a little longer to process.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was nosing around in Twitter and noticed that whenever an MLS player gets a Green Card, the comments come out about how unfair this is to Canadian teams. There aren't as many complaints about the Canadian citizenship rules, but they are convinced that the US is giving away Green Cards like candy.

Of course, it's much easier to change the law in Canada to issue Permanent Residency to top athletes than it would be do something similar in the US.

22. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I remember an interview with Joseph in his prime that basically said something along the lines of Joseph had no idea how good of a player he'd end up being when he was that young and he figured Grenada was going to be his only chance to play international soccer.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    CAN NT -- 11 MLS 0 USL OFF LAST 23 MAN
    -- 8 PLAYERS ON CAN DOMESTIC TEAMS

MTL -- 9 CAN (5 USA)
    TOR -- 9 CAN (12 USA)
    VAN -- 8 CAN (6 USA)
    ------
    26 MLS PLAYERS ON DOMESTIC TEAMS (AND 23 USA)

OTT -- 13 CAN
    TFC2 -- 18 CAN
    ------
    31 USL PLAYERS ON DOMESTIC TEAMS

I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF THERE ARE OTHER CAN ON OTHER MLS AND USL TEAMS, BUT THIS IS A PITIFUL DOMESTIC POOL TO START FROM.

DUAL NATIONALS TO ME ARE A SECONDARY THING, I HAVE MY DOMESTIC POOL, THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, "NOW WHO ELSE..."

24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his prime Shalrie was just such a dominating force in the midfield. I was, and am, convinced that his presence on the field would have changed our 2006 run from a frustrating failure to a very very interesting experience.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    joseph mrtinez got his green card