The Green Card Queue: Who Could Be Next?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by BostonRed, Jun 4, 2014.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true at least there's a method in Vancouver

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #852 BostonRed, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's some discussion out there about his status right now.

From what I understand.....................................he's gotten his citizenship, but doesn't have FIFA clearance yet.

Take that for what its worth.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make sense to me. I think he'd need what I'll call the Zelalem Waiver.

Last I checked, immigrants without a parent or grandparent being born in a nation are supposed to have a 5 years residency requirement. The way the rules are written though says those years are supposed to be after the age of 18. Under those rules, Ferreira wouldn't be FIFA eligible until the age of 23 unless he gets a waiver.

deuteronomy and BostonRed repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like another player is vying to graduate from the list:

He'll probably still need a "Zelalem waiver" as he joined Seattle in December 2013, but he's been in the US since high school and has only been outside the US for 4 years at Toronto to interrupt the "5 consecutive years since turning 18" that FIFA requires.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Stefan Frei is a US citizen:

Next step, FIFA eligibility...

deuteronomy and Winoman repped this.
  7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The only really keeping Frei I doubt is the word "consecutive". Waiver should be really straightforward. He only missed five years by a matter of four months or so.

BostonRed repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Unless there are some recent changes he isn't a citizen till the oath ceremony. It used to be at least few months.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kwadwo Poku grabbed about 20 minutes in an appearance for Ghana today against the USMNT:

Thoughts from his current coach:
    881282283562520581 is not a valid tweet id

He is in the window now for US citizenship and isn't tied to Ghana.

12. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't tied to Ghana?

I thought that once you played for a nation, you were only eligible to switch if you were a citizen at the time you played for the other nation.

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I believe you are only provisionally cap-tied if you play for a nations youth team in an official FIFA game. In that case yes, you would need to be a citizen of the other country at that time if you were to later apply to switch.... Friendlies? Not applicable.

superdave and BostonRed repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Exactly. Poku has never appeared for Ghana in any official competition at the youth or senior levels. As he's not yet a US citizen, he'd have been permanently cap-tied to Ghana if he had....................

By the way, Jack Harrison continues to impress. And there are those who question why he wasn't made a part of the recent England U21 team.

I’m quite surprised that he didn’t receive any [international] calls, at least for the under-21s,” said head coach Patrick Vieira after the match. “He needs to be looked at.”
    http://elitesportsny.com/2017/07/01/jack-harrison-shining-bright-nycfc/

It'll still be some time before his citizenship is in frame (come on ladies, lets marry him off to an American!)..............................and we have to hope England isn't interested. The U21s was a hurdle for us to get over for those of us that want to see Harrison in red, white, and blue.

We don't want a Fagundez situation here. Diego had one callup to a cap-tying event with Uruguay, and so is ineligible for the US...............but also unlikely to see a Uruguay shirt again.

Diego is as American as apple pie, as his twitter accounts reminds us daily.
    Most recent tweet is about the custom work he had done on his pickup truck.

edcrocker, Winoman and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrison has been in the US since he was 14...why would he be so far away from being a US citizen? Is it because he got his own GC only recently?

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. The GC is the key piece. He came to the US to attend school. You can spend a long time in the US on various student and training visas, but you never earn any of the time credit you need toward citizenship. Only when you have the Green Card in hand does the 5 (or 3) year clock start.

superdave, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Another* article about Jack Harrison joining the USMNT, but at least the author admits it's gonna be a long time coming:

http://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/...harrison-green-card-hand-might-play-usa-wait/

And this statement is partially incorrect, since he would be barred from played for the US if he had been provisionally cap-tied at the most recent UEFA U21s:

Even if Harrison plays for the England U-21 side, he still would be eligible to play for the Americans’ full team.

And it would help if the author had told us about how long that wait would be (not that I needed that information, but others do...)

edcrocker repped this.
  18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    FWIW - Harrison is still eligible for the England U-21's until the 2019 European Championships. The next tournament is for players born after January 1 1996.

England have 10 qualifying games for that.

There are only 3 outfield players from the summer who are eligible for 2019. My bet is he gets a call up.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite sure what this means:
    883843109171470336 is not a valid tweet id

ETA:
    Guess this confirms he is a US citizen now:

schlomo, Red Card, Ironbound and 3 others repped this.
  20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed the best place to throw out a re-post of my question from the Martinique Post Game Thread:

Does playing an "official competition" vs a non FIFA opponent actually captie Roldan?

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And let me take this opportunity to repost my response to that question when I saw it posed in the PBP thread:

That's a good question.

Remember that Thiago Motta played for Brazil in this competition years ago, which should have cap tied him. But then FIFA later allowed him to switch to Italy, I believe because Brazil was a guest team in that particular Gold Cup.

So it could be that there's some gray area here.

Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  22. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be that since this is a FIFA sanctioned event and we are official entrants into the event it will cap tie him, regardless of the opponent.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume so. It's much like the Copa America situation when one team is cap-tied by a game against a guest team where no one is cap-tied.

Of course, we never got anything official about last summer's Copa America and cap-tying for the non-CONMEBOL teams. Because it was on the FIFA calendar for all the teams involved, were the traditional "guest" teams cap-tied? Doesn't matter for the US because we didn't have any un-cap-tied players, but always curious about these.

I'm guessing that Roldan, Hedges, Pontius and Morrow were all cap-tied by the match, whether they needed it or not.

Lloyd Heilbrunn, Winoman and mike4066 repped this.
  24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be wrong but I think only Roldán had other passports

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to commute to Montreal. Granted it was only two times a week. If you have nexus there's almost no wait and almost no traffic until you get to the bridge that goes onto the island.

If you lived in Rouses point you could easily be there within the hour.

Considering traffic situations I'd say it's about even in terms of Blaine to vancouver (never been to point Roberts though) or San Diego to Tijuana.