The Greatest Dutch Wingers Ever

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Dearman, Sep 27, 2014.

?

The Best Dutch Wingers Ever

1. Arjen Robben

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Rob Rensenbrink

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Piet Keizer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Coen Moulijn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Others (Rep, Overmars, Swaart, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Whom do you think to have been the greatest winger to ever play under Knight Orange shirt in term of performance ?
    I think there is closely level of career performance with a group of 4 - 5 players.

Arjen Robben : He is generally rated in world-class in all competition levels. At least 2010 in Bundesliga, some seasons in UEFA Champion League and the recent 2014 world cup but his domestic appearances is inconsistency due to injury.

Piet Keizer : He is best remembered by many as a failure performer in the 1974 World Cup but he was already 31 years old and his peak had been passed already and his peak was an exceptional one in the early 1970s especially very impact to Ajax's success in consecutive European Cups.

Rob Rensenbrink : Actually he performed as forward in domestic club career but switch to winger in NT. Please also consider him in overall career in comparison. Rensenbrink was a successful attackers in twice world cup although his club career is not highly successful likes the above twos.

Coen Moulijn : It is always difficult to rate him. Many Feyenoord fan considers him as their best player ever even superior to Van Hanegem. Moulijn's most success in the 1970 European Cup champion was fulfilled when he already passed his peak career. So it might be implied that he was lack of opportunities of success in international football. If rate him in overall performance, he seems to be disadvantageous but his skill will be a more stronger contender.

PDG1978 repped this.
  2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    adding the "true winger" of Overmars ...
    Note: Robben, Ressensbrinks ... were more like a wide FW, not true winger

3. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Yes, but they are still closer to winger than center-forward in basic categorization.

Pipiolo repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I pick this one out:

It's injustice to describe him as a mere forward. That was for many games not the accurate position and role (but hey, that doesn't surprise me with people who also see Cruijff as a 'forward'). His club career certainly stands up to the one of Robben.
    40 goals in 66 European games is among the very best of his era - I thought the 2nd or 3rd best ratio of the 70s. He's widely seen as one of the best players to have played in the Belgian league, if not the very best, with high consistency in the domestic rankings of that day (not the revisionist hindsight shenanigans). Happening in a time (70s to early 90s) when Belgian clubs actually played in European finals.
    Three Cup Winners Cup finals, two Supercups as arguably the driving force of the Anderlecht attack. He was certainly also a 'big game' performer, scorer and assister. Stepping up at the big occasions.

tony-soprano37, JamesBH11 and Dearman repped this.
  5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes people forget Ressenbrink was #2 in Ballon Dor 76 (behind Beckenbauer ) and over Cruyff , Platini ...

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Erwin Koeman was excellent too for a short period of time as well. After Robben, it's between Overmars, Rep and Resenbrink.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #7 JamesBH11, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Here from Bleacherreport TOP20 Dutch footballers of all time:

1-Cruyff (AM/FW)
    2-Van Basten (FW)
    3-Bergkamp (FW)

4-VD Saar (GK)
    5- Gullit (FW/AM/Winger)
    6- Koeman (DF)
    7-Neeskens (MF)
    8-Rijkaard (MF)

9-Ressenbrink (FW/Winger)
    10 Faas Wilkes (FW/Winger)

11-Seedorf (MF)
    12- E Davids (MF)

13- R Krol (DF)
    14- J Rep (FW/Winger)
    15- P Keizer (FW/Winger)

16- F DeBoer (DF)
    17-Coen Moulijn (Winger/FW)
    18-Overmars (Winger/MF)

19- A Haan (MF)

20- Cocu (MF)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1148327-ranking-the-20-best-dutch-players-of-all-time/page/5

=========================================
    I can't believe no room for Van Hanegem, Kluivert, or Surbier ... but COCU? Rep?

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's Bleacherreport, just someone's opinion.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes .. so how you want to chage them?

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Take out Van der Saar and Wilkes from the top ten.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    that's one good point

12. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    1.wilkes!
    2.lenstra
    3.robben
    4.overmars
    5.here even cruijff starts to qualify. so thats is past op's objective.

13. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    They are forgotten now but I liked Van´t Schip and Vanenburg - great players..

14. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    few corrections...

rensenbrinks clubcareer was very succesfull......... playing 3 european finals in a row winning 2 of them and scoring in them.. also winnign twice uefa supercup once vs mighty liverpool and once vs teh mighty bayern munich.

secondly robben ain't a winger.. only if eh plays from the left wich he never ever does anymore he is kinda of a wing forward player not a pure winger..

pure dutch winger where overmars, moulijn, keizer, swart to name a few.. rep is borderline wing forward/winger and rensenrbink and robben wing forwards.......

my opinionm.. from pure wingers the ebst ever is piet keizer..
    from wing forwards its rensenbrink by a milestone.. he may be underrated by many but robbie rensenbrink is an atg player and belongs in the list of the 10 best ever dutch player and robben not.........

JamesBH11 repped this.
  15. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    wilkes does belogn in the top 10 mate..
    voted best foreign player in a certain year in spain over the likes of kubala and di stefano..

top 10 dutch players ever IN RANDOM ORDER

cruyff
    van hanegem
    krol
    rensenbrink
    gullit
    neeskens
    van basten
    wilkes
    rijkaard
    van beveren

its very simple and explainable..

cruyff is nr. 1 no exlnation needed.
    van hanegem for me second..........most dutch who have seen him play will agree. many foreigners who followed his career also for example celtic coach jock stein thought very higly of van hanegem.. a very complete allround player..

van beveren our best goalie ever by a milestone.. not well known outside holland because due to arguments with cruyff did not play much in national team but van beveren fior me ranks amongst the 15 best goalies ever worldwide.

rijkaard a top 5 DM worldwide of all time.

neeskens a top 5 box to box player worldwide of all time.

van basten a top 5 striker worldwide of all time.

a totally fit prime gullit is ranekd amongst the msot powerfull and versatile players of all time.

krol a top 10 leftback of all tiem worldwide a top 10 sweeper of all tiem worldwide and probably the most all round defender of all time.

rensenbrink great great underrated player a great technician could play nr. 10 also leftwing one of me personal favorites.

wilkes maybe our greatest ever dribbler. and jsut as elegant as van basten or bergkamp. a NT career cut short due to fact that in holland players who played professionally in foreign natiosn werent allowed to play for national team.. so he missed 7 years in national team his prime years...
    still 35 goals in 38 games..
    played for inter milan 95 games and 47 goals and for valencia 62 games and 38 goals.

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    agree with most ...
    P Keitzer was the best and typical "winger" of Holland (along with Overmars, Swart ...)
    Ressenbrinks , Rep, Robben ... are no winger, but FW playing wide (like Messi , Ribery CR7, TMuller, Di Maria Nani ... these days )

17. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    #17 Dearman, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Jan Van Beveren’s career biography always attract me to have attempted in searching more useful information to help in rating of him just like case of Van Hanegem whom many Dutch rate as one of the best players of their nation, Van Beveren is always mentioned to be the best Ducth keeper ever. He was not only a tough keeper but is noted for his exceptional ability in opening the game with his ambidextrous kicking, is arguably the best keeper in history of Eredivisie even better than Van Breukelen. He is rated by Ducth Sport newspaper, which start the rating in 1979, as the best player in Eredivisie in 1980 (probably World-Class). His int.club profile is even not bad, achieving a UEFA cup and once European Cup semi-finalist with PSV but the discontent with Cruyff led to the interruption of advancement in his international country career particularly missed all three tournaments which Holland got to success. Accordingly, I see it is difficult to name him as one of top 10 Dutch players ever, I'd strongly name Bergkamp instead of him.

However, it might be unfair decision to have excluded him for top 50 best keeper ever while the like of Rudi Hiden (48th) and Amadeo Carrizo (19th) who won only around 20 caps are conveniently included in a favor of their club reputation and remarkable level in their era (no rating evidence found). I’ve just not named him in top 50 because I still cannot select one of the current top 50 keepers out to make a space of Van Baveren.

18. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    thats ok.
    to each his own opinion. i have seen van beveren and allthough i am a huge cruyff and ajax fan i am objective enough to say he was ou greatest goalie ever..
    you name hans van breukelen.. vna breukelen is overrated many times.. i rank keepers as van der sar and frans de munck above van breukelen.

van beveren also had cat like reflexes very agile and fast he was.

you also mention van hanegem.. take my word for it after cruyff the best ever duthc player.. above van basten and others.
    van hanegem was so complete.. he lacked one thing.. speed but due to his incredible good reading fot eh game he did not need speed..
    he had great passing and vision, technique.
    great header both offensive and defensive, great tackler very strong, tough as nails a real real hard player if need be and a great attitude he alwys wanted to win no matetr the costs.

19. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Yeah Van Hanegem is another player is very difficult to rate when he is seen as one of the most all-round box-to-box midfielders but is not fulfilled internationally enough (below Neeskens in NT level), led he was never voted in top five Ballon'Dor. I had a time to see video of his playing and I'm quite sure he is far better than Xavi in defensive task, long passing, technique and scoring. That even convince me to rate him higher than Xavi who is also by far a more international decorated players and I'm not forgot to give importance in Van Hanagem's impact level on Feyenoord which is considered to be higher than that of Xavi with Barcelona. However, I m also not sure Van Hanegem should be rated higher than Neeskens who was also a lot more successful than Van Hanegem especially achieved as the best central midfielder in the 1974 world cup.

Excape Goat repped this.
  20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When I watched the Dutch games in 1974, Van Hanegem always stood out. He was moving the ball well in 1974. Neeskens, I felt, scored the goals and got onto the highlight film.

21. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    true.. van hanegem put himself away in order for cruyff to shine.. at feyenoord van hanegme was besides many otehr thigns also the playmaker in nt 74 he did other jobs in order for cruyff to shine yet van hanegem performed real well in 74

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes van hanegem WC74 was like Pirlo WC06 (behind Canavaro LOL) and liek Vieira WC06 behind Zidsane's shining

23. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    At least Dutch footballer of the year rating probably support your opinion,
    Van Breukelen was best at finish third place dutch footballer of the year in 1979/1980 when Van Beveren finished 1st place (http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...-year-press-classification-1979-1994.1978389/). It is slightly strange that Van Breukelen' prime is known to be during the second half 1980s but the voting result shows he was never finished in top five in that period. Anyway, the voting points result is not far in distance between top 10 - 20 players, is difficult to take seriousness in ranking result.

In 1987 - 1988 season is not showed the complete voting result, he had the best season with PSV as the team won triple champion with the record most draw champion in history of European Cup, finished second place IFFHS world best goalkeeper with 18.5 % less than points of Dasayev who is the winner. However, he has never appeared in Ballon'Dor list as well as Jan Van Beveren.

Note that comme's list also show him at 71th place best keeper ever.

24. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    van beveren, unfortunately hasn't been able to prove himself in the NT. he was a hero for speaking out against the cruijff-bias, back in the 70's. but the psv footage of him i found about as disapointing as watching yashin, where both fail to reach the corners of the goal, unlike many other greats.
    van breukelen was always a joy to watch. noone radiates more superiority when picking up easy balls than him.
    he didn't have a long career but at his peak he was better in the 1vs1 than van der sar.

since dearman rates longevity, vd sar is clearly the best of the three.

25. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Longevity sometimes helped player to have an advantage and sometimes not help, depend on level of performance within the long run seasons.

Pipiolo repped this.