The greatest 1980s NT player vs the elite and darkhorse teams

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Vegan10, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011

That’s right. Their H2H encounters ended in mediocre to substandard individual displays. However, as I’ve pointed out before, Rummenigge probably hit lows worse than any of the top 4 players in question, but Zico was the guy that cost and deprived Brazil from snatching glory, by his decisive errors (CA79 red card and PK miss at WC86) in comparison to more than any of the others. Zico also does not have a marquee performance in any way in any knockout stage for his country that was either decisive or inspirational. Rummenigge has his semifinal vs France in 1982 to lean on at least.

According to the New York Times, this was how it was viewed at the time:

“Then West Germany and France staged another classic, the first penalty-kick shootout ever in the cup semifinals. West Germany came back from a 3-1 deficit in overtime to tie the ''Brazilians of Europe,'' 3-3, and then beat them, five penalty kicks to four. In coming off the bench, Rummenigge performed courageously and inspirationally.”

“Rummenigge's entrance into the game with France, at his suggestion, was one of the most dramatic and important substitutions a team could make in a championship game. It was as electrifying as the appearance of the injured Willis Reed just before the New York Knicks won the basketball championship in 1970.”

''Really, his entrance was decisive,'' Derwall said. ''He is such a good player that when he goes on the field, his teammates recover their spirit.''

So here we have a situation that without Rummenigge’s interventions, West Germany never make the final in Madrid.

We don’t have any similar decisive performance from
    Zico, neither at that stage or at level of determination. What’s also overlooked is that Rummenigge was carrying a thigh injury at that WC, only to make matters more impressive, in the context of events.

On a whole a lot of info is missing regarding Rummenigge because with the exception of some “Kicker” magazines that I own at the WC, little else is available of his entire body of work vs the top 15 ranked sides. I can only obtain mostly Euro and WC information, with some friendlies but overall a lot is missing.

In any event, I’ll post what I have. But understand this: his lows are probably lower than Zico’s but his highs are more significant, especially that semifinal that holds more weight than anything Zico produced at any WC.

Gregoriak repped this.
  2. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I have recently uploaded every report of German NT games from 1954 to 1989 by 'Kicker' on my website:

http://www.historical-lineups.com/germany/national-team.html

Very often, 'Kicker' came up with player-by-player critiques like this:

[​IMG]

3. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    This is excellent and thanks for sharing.

I noticed from some magazines I own that when they rated German players, they used the method of rating from 1-6 with 1 being outstanding while 6 insufficient. That’s my understanding if I’m not mistaken. It’s different from the other sources like France Football or Mundo Deportivo that used it in the opposite direction.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Are there reasons for taking the 'Holland' game as the example? Is that his best match in tournaments? (relative to opposition and minutes of contribution)

5. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Usually the German standard of rating players is taken from school grades and indeed 1 is the best and 6 the worst.

Coincidence.

6. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Zico vs Rummenigge, in their H2H encounters, according to the press voices. They only faced eachother twice.

Rummenigge’s review

1977 vs Brazil 1-1 ranked 3
    Folha De São Paulo said he did not appear (in reference to being a nonfactor) and still needed to prove his worth as a starter.

Grade
    Folha De São Paulo 4/10 - bad

1981 vs Brazil 1-2 ranked 1
    Folha De São Paulo — “Briegel and Rummenigge were the principle players of West Germany. Dangerous, they created the most difficult chances for the Brazilian defense.”

Folha De São Paulo — good

Kicker — “quick as an arrow, tricky and easy going, in tune with Breitner. In the middle of the park however he got lost”

(Note: my German is not good so the translation may have errors - maybe Greg wants to correct me if he spots any errors, thanks)

Zico’s review

1977 vs West Germany 1-1 ranked 1
    Jornal dos Sports 3/5 average
    Folha de São Paulo 3/10 Very Bad
    Helmut Shoen (German manager) - very bad

Kicker — “Zico was in chains” (In reference to Bonhof shutting him down)

1981 vs West Germany 2-1 ranked 2
    Folha De São Paulo — disappointing
    Jornal dos Sports - good

Kicker — [...] “Briegel then locked down on Zico, who until then had been barely visible” (this was the most that I was able to make out in regards to any mentioning of Zico by the German newspaper)

Conclusions: contrary to what I had previously thought, Rummenigge does come out favorably in their H2H, thanks to his better performance in 1981 which is supported by two sources.

Although this doesn’t necessarily settle the debate, it does give an extra bonus in Rummenigge’s favor.

More on Rummenigge’s performances vs the top 15 later on.

Gregoriak repped this.
  7. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #107 Tropeiro, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Rummenigge and Zico did nothing in these friendlies.

My post # 87 has already dissected what could be objective, now there is only propagandas and 'bad driving' of the thread by our friend Vegan, which by the way has a lot of time to lose.

Anyway, I made a comparison between Zico and Neymar. Note: I don't remember any Brazilian team playing as much for Neymar as any other player Brazil has ever had, and that doesn't mean that Neymar is better than them, but rather that this Brazilian generation is horrible.

Neymar vs TOP15
    Show Spoiler

17/11/2010 Brazil 0 x 1 Argentina ranked 5
    04/06/2011 Brazil 0 x 0 Netherlands ranked 2
    10/08/2011 Brazil 3 x 2 Germany ranked 3 (1 goal)
    14/09/2011 Brazil 0 x 0 Argentina ranked 7
    28/09/2011 Brazil 2 x 0 Argentina ranked 7 (1 goal)
    11/10/2011 Brazil 2 x 1 Mexico ranked 11 (1 assist)
    03/06/2012 Brazil 0 x 2 Mexico ranked 11
    09/06/2012 Brazil 3 x 4 Argentina ranked 7 (1 assist)
    15/08/2012 Brazil 3 x 0 Sweden ranked 12 (1 assist)
    19/09/2012 Brazil 2 x 1 Argentina ranked 4 (1 goal, 1 assist)
    14/11/2012 Brazil 1 x 1 Colombia ranked 10 (1 goal)
    21/11/2012 Brazil 1 x 2 Argentina ranked 4
    06/02/2013 Brazil 1 x 2 England ranked 6
    21/03/2013 Brazil 2 x 2 Italy ranked 7 (1 assist)
    25/03/2013 Brazil 1 x 1 Russia ranked 11
    02/06/2013 Brazil 2 x 2 England ranked 6
    09/06/2013 Brazil 3 x 0 France ranked 13 (1 assist)
    22/06/2013 Brazil 4 x 2 Italy ranked 7 (1 goal)
    26/06/2013 Brazil 2 x 1 Uruguay ranked 13 (1 assist)
    30/06/2013 Brazil 3 x 0 Spain ranked 2 (1 goal)
    11/09/2013 Brazil 3 x 1 Portugal ranked 9 (1 goal, 1 assist)
    19/11/2013 Brazil 2 x 1 Chile ranked 9
    28/06/2014 Brazil 1 x 1 Chile ranked 7
    04/07/2014 Brazil 2 x 1 Colombia ranked 5 (1 assist)
    05/09/2014 Brazil 1 x 0 Colombia ranked 4 (1 goal)
    11/10/2014 Brazil 2 x 0 Argentina ranked 3
    26/03/2015 Brazil 3 x 1 France ranked 7 (1 goal)
    29/03/2015 Brazil 1 x 0 Chile ranked 8
    17/06/2015 Brazil 0 x 1 Colombia ranked 5
    13/11/2015 Brazil 1 x 1 Argentina ranked 4
    25/03/2016 Brazil 2 x 2 Uruguay ranked 9
    01/09/2016 Brazil 3 x 1 Ecuador ranked 15 (1 goal, 1 assist)
    06/09/2016 Brazil 2 x 1 Colombia ranked 7 (1 goal, 1 assist)
    10/11/2016 Brazil 3 x 0 Argentina ranked 1 (1 goal, 1 assist)
    23/03/2017 Brazil 4 x 1 Uruguay ranked 12 (1 goal, 1 assist)
    05/09/2017 Brazil 1 x 1 Colombia ranked 7 (1 assist)
    10/10/2017 Brazil 3 x 0 Chile ranked 13 (1 assist)
    14/11/2017 Brazil 0 x 0 England ranked 7
    17/06/2018 Brazil 1 x 1 Switzerland ranked 14
    06/07/2018 Brazil 1 x 2 Belgium ranked 3
    16/10/2018 Brazil 1 x 0 Argentina ranked 12 (1 assist)

Goals could be envolved 72, goals envolved 29 = 40,3%
    Brazil won 22, draw 11, lost 7 (= 64,2% of all points)
    Brasil ranked mostly between 1 - 4.

.... and still the numbers suggest that Neymar had less direct Goal envolvement than Zico and that Brazil won less often, draw and lost more, even though Brazil is ranked in ~ the same position of 76-86 Brazil.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is very extreme.

The momentum was swinging in Germany's direction anyway, because they were simply the fitter team. Fitter than France.

France their defense was not Italy's defense.

Other than the 2-3 (not the equalizer) against eight/nine French players, he did close to nothing in the minutes he played. The speed was there, he just could not do it for a full match. Homer-mag kicker does not single him out either (while Briegel, the one he replaced, is singled out).

Within a minute after making his entry (for Briegel), France scored the 3-1. France progressed the ball to the danger areas through his (left-hand) side. That is not only his fault, but the organization was lacking (France had an overflow on the left there), and the goal he scored was also not his creation either.

Had France won (with a different referee...) then the press might as well say Briegel going out was costly.

9. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Valid observations of the circumstances of the match. But what about the inspiration that Derwall spoke about Rummenigge reviving the spirit of the team ?

And does Zico compare in any KO match ?

This was as good as he offered in my view:
    B8391DC1-A271-4095-948D-BCB81815C13D.jpeg

But it’s a notch below in impact and stage vs an already half eliminated Argentinian team.

10. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    "Kicker" is/was nobody's "homer mag".

11. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Your German translations are pretty much spot on. (About the "in the middle of the park he got lost" thing - that refers to the last 30 minutes of the '81 Stuttgart game, as Klaus Fischer got subbed out and Rummenigge moved from the right wing to the centre forward position in place of Fischer and there he did not do well).

Vegan10 repped this.
  12. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks.

I’ll continue to give it a try with Rummenigge’s other reviews that are in question. Interestingly, I’ve already spotted that ‘Kicker’ is more critical with some of his performances than some outside neutral sources.

13. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Originally I missed one other game in their H2H encounters: 1978 Brazil vs West Germany 1-0

West Germany ranked 1; Brazil ranked 3

Zico
    Jornal dos Sports - very good
    Folha de São Paulo - decent
    Kicker - decent

Kicker — “Although Bonhof prevailed against Zico in the first half, but the longer the game went on, the Brazilian won his duals”

Folha De São Paulo — the newspaper made it clear that Zico lacked more sense of penetration to accompany his teammates, but had been severely subjected to the man-marking of Bonhoff, but still moved well around the pitch, but made little impact.

It’s evident that Bonhof continued his mission to mark him out of the game as in Rio, but with mixed results this time. Overall Zico and Bonhof ended in a personal stalemate this time around.

Rummenigge
    In Rummenigge’s case there really is little mentioning of his play from both sides, evidently little impact he must have had.

Gregoriak repped this.
  14. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    The only mention he gets is "on the left wing Rummenigge's dribbling skill is an unprofitable art."

15. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks.

I’m almost finished reviewing his matches and will post them chronologically once completed.

16. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I'm looking forward to that.

17. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    As previously mentioned, the review of Rummenigge vs the top 15 ranked teams in the world.

I’ll do this in two parts, first from 1976 (his debut) to 1979. Then conclude from 1980-1986, his retirement from the NT.

(I’ll add some personal notes in parentheses if necessary)

1976-1979

1976 vs Czechoslovakia 2-0 ranked 4
    Kicker — “didn’t reach the level of his debut against Wales. He seemed very nervous in his first home game. He was hesitant and lacked self-confidence. Later on he got into some nice moments”

(Half the Czech team was different from the team that won Euro 1976; the Germans were missing some key players too)

West Germany ranked 1

1977 vs Argentina 3-1 ranked 7
    (Came on as a substitute but little is mentioned)

West Germany ranked 1

1977 vs Brazil 1-1 ranked 3
    Folha De São Paulo said he did not appear (in reference to being a nonfactor) and still needed to prove his worth as a starter.

Folha De São Paulo 4/10 - bad

(Kicker does not mention much)

West Germany ranked 1

1977 vs Italy ranked 2-1 ranked 6
    Kicker — “the most dangerous offensive German. Before the half his long sprints were slowed down once only by extremely unfair means [...] he was awesome and strong on the ball”

West Germany ranked 1

1978 vs England 2-1 ranked 8
    German Press Agentur — “Rummenigge was the most impressive German”

Stuttgarter Zeitung — “Rummenigge deserves unrestricted trust”

West Germany ranked 1

1978 vs Soviet Union 1-0 ranked 11
    (Little is mentioned)

West Germany ranked 1

1978 vs Brazil 0-1 ranked 3
    Gregoriak’s words:
    The only mention he gets is "on the left wing Rummenigge's dribbling skill is an unprofitable art."

West Germany ranked 1

1978 vs Italy 0-0 ranked 4
    France Football 3/6 - average
    El Gráfico 6/10 decent
    Mundo Deportivo 4/6 good

Kicker — “in the first half was marked closely by Cabrini. He was always strong and quick when determined. After the half, however, he fell back into his old weak, too much with his excessive criss-cross dribble that led to nowhere”

West Germany ranked 1

1978 vs Netherlands 2-2 ranked 2
    France Football 4/6 - good
    El Gráfico 6/10 decent
    Mundo Deportivo 3/6 mediocre

Kicker — [...] “while, Rummenigge too often stopped the game” (could be a reference in a negative way, but not sure — not much more is elaborated on him)

West Germany ranked 3

1978 vs Austria 2-3 ranked 15
    France Football 4/6 - good

Kicker — “fought undaunted until the end but had his off day again. Only once when he scored the 1-0 was he wide awake. Otherwise most of his attacks were futile because he took too long”

West Germany ranked 1

1978 vs Czechoslovakia 4-3 ranked 12
    Kicker — “was a nightmare for the opposition. The Czechs were only able to stop his runs through fouls. From 12 resulting free kicks and one penalty, 3 German goals were made, thanks to him. He has never played this well for the NT”

(Both sides not the same as Euro 1976 with mostly different rosters)

West Germany ranked 4

1978 vs Netherlands 3-1 ranked 2
    (‘Kicker’ mentions Rummenigge involved in many of the dangerous plays that especially led to goals. Apparently he played relatively well)

West Germany ranked 4

1979 vs Argentina 2-1 ranked 5
    Kicker — [...] when that worked out after the break, it was mostly Rummenigge in his element. He quickly used the free space because his speed and ball skills were so great”

[Apparently once the Germans had gotten the edge Rummenigge’s game grew and in open space he thrived thanks to his natural abilities]

(Argentina fielded a B side missing the majority of their stars — only two WC players from 1978 and no Maradona)

West Germany ranked 2

1979 vs Soviet Union 3-1 ranked 14
    Kicker — “This time operated in his favorite role in the midfield attack. He quickly became the most dangerous attacker, even if he initially attempted too often futile slalom runs. His two goals were glorious and a third almost succeeded”

(The Soviets, as in the case with Zico in 1976, fielded many inexperienced players, including many under-21 age players and a debuting goalkeeper that never again was called up. The Germans were also missing some key players)

West Germany ranked 1

(Any corrections from the German translation is welcome from Gregoriak if necessary)

Gregoriak repped this.
  18. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Some observations: Rummenigge from 1976 to 1979 competed against 14 top ranked sides, with West Germany usually top ranked in the world.

It is generally accepted that he played well vs Italy 1977; vs England 1978; vs Czechoslovakia 1978; vs Netherlands 1978 (friendly); vs Argentina 1979; vs USSR 1979

That’s 6 games out of 14, which is 42 percent.

In comparison Zico from 1976 to 1979 competed against 18 top 15 ranked sides with Brazil usually ranked number 1 in the world.

In was generally accepted that he performed well vs Argentina 1976, USSR 1976, vs England 1977, vs Scotland 1977, vs Czechoslovakia 1978; vs England 1978, vs Argentina 1979 (home match)

That’s 7 games out of 18 which makes for 38 percent.

Thus far Zico continues to not come out favorably in this exercise. To make matters more alarming is that out of those 7 matches, Zico’s best game was probably vs Scotland, a number 4 ranked side, but criticized for being a second-rate European power with little experience playing abroad in South American environments such as that at the Maracaná stadium in Rio.

On the other hand, Rummenigge’s highs seem to be greater than Zico’s but some of his best performances came against teams that were not fielding their strongest line-ups. However, his top class display vs the Italians in 1977 was noteworthy because the Italians were mostly intact and ranked number 6 in the world.

In addition, although WC78 was unsuccessful for both Zico and Rummenigge, the fact of the matter is that Zico’s lows were more concerning than Rummenigge’s uneven performances; further compounded by Zico’s unreliable durability to stay match-fit.

1976-1979 who was better?

Based on the evidence, without neither reaching glorious heights, but with Rummenigge having a slightly better WC78 and reaching higher reviews in general, the German leads for now.

Verdict: Rummenigge

1980-1986 shall soon follow.

Gregoriak repped this.
  19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @Vegan10
    Do you have any matches by KHR that you can point towards showing him to be technically elite
    I was always under the impression he was a VERY good athlete(fast ,strong,durable even acrobatic but technical I just don’t see it)

Even you’d be hard pressed to argue against zico having a significant edge over him when it comes to technical aspects of the game(also his game intelligence was of a completely higher standard
    Rummenigge was adept at playing WF,SS,CF I never saw him play as an AM or midfielder like zico was capable of doing)

Zico was that complete that had he been a great athlete I think Pele, maradona and Messi would be competing for 2nd place.

20. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Well, you’d have to define technique, mate.

According to a British book I was given to in 1979, the definition of technique is addressed in the following manner
    8EDAE125-7923-4AB2-B47A-9B2E00241EE2.jpeg

Under that criteria I don’t see where Rummenigge is inferior.

In regards to Zico’s on-field intelligence, it’s telling how that was addressed in comparison with Maradona by the German player, Jürgen Grabowski, Cesar Menotti and Helenio Herrera in 1982.

I mentioned this years ago:

Prior to WC82 the German magazine of Kicker sent Jurgen Grabowski to watch Maradona and Zico in South America when both played friendlies against West Germany, and was asked to compare them both. Both players had been marked by Matthaeus, and his report concluded that Maradona’s attitude was greater. He said: “Once Maradona comprehended that he couldn’t do it on his own and that there wasn’t anything that he could do, he let the game flow through his teammates so that they wouldn’t depend solely on him. He was more intelligent than Zico. Even then, he produced great passes with long range. I think we are in presence of a fantastic player, with a great future.”

Menotti compared them in March of 1982 and came to a similar conclusion as the German: “Maradona has more qualities than Zico. Against West Germany, Zico was tightly marked and he lacked recourses to escape his marker. Maradona on the other hand, is quicker, has more ideas. Inclusively, if he can’t with his marker, he retreats far back into his own half dragging his marker with him which opens space for his teammates. In a group, it’s more difficult to hold Maradona down than Zico. In Rio, Matthaeus shut Zico down without having to force himself too much.”

Helenio Herrera’s view in June of 1982 was in regards to the transfer of Maradona to play in Spain, and this is what he said: It’s a good transfer. Maradona is a player with initiative, and possesses a virtue above the rest: he knows how to escape from the man-marking of the European defender. That’s very important. For example, if Zico would have been the choice, I would have said no, because he doesn’t know how to do it.”

He repeated this in July of 1983: “I don’t believe in Zico. Maradona is better at releasing himself from the shackles of defenders, he has more change of pace, rhythm, and is more intelligent.”

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/is...best-player-ever.1784415/page-2#post-25970866

Gregoriak repped this.
  21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #121 carlito86, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Maradona has a greater football IQ than both so you are really latching onto a tangent with this argument

Even going by this 1979 definition KHR does not compare in a number of aspects
    1.)dribbling in tight spaces and agility(no contest)

2.)set piece taking (zico had over 60+ FK recorded in his career which is considerably more than platini or maradona let alone KHR)

3.)finishing
    KHR could never match zicos 0.79 goals per match in 83/84 Serie A

There really is no comparison between their goal records even at the NT zico outscored him playing a deeper role with more responsibilities

3.)In terms of passing range there is only one winner and it isn’t KHR

Really KHR only beats him in athletic qualities (strength,speed,maybe heading although zico scored quite a few in his career some even with a high degree of technical difficulty)

KHR only ranks ahead looking at a narrow definition of greatness (NT impact and specifically goals scored)
    In natural talent and cerebral aspects of the game zico is very FAR ahead of KHR to the point where there is no comparison

Remember in the ultra defensive serie a rumminge did not look so dominant and he wasn’t exactly old now to mitigate his huge drop off in goalscoring

In 83/84 he scored 26 goals in 29 bundesliga games:0.9

In 84/85 he scored 8 goals in 26 serie a matches:0.31

KHR also joined a top 4 team while zicos Udinese was a mediocre club at best

Only in the mind of Euro centric journalists who probably never watched zico beyond intercontinental or NT games is rumminge comparable
    With readily available footage it is clear to see zico was a genius while rumminge was a slightly more technical and versatile version of Gareth Bale or Henry (a WF or SS)
    Zico was a complete attacker could play anything from attacking midfielder to CF and all to a high degree

There are few players in football history who had this kind of skillset

22. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    #122 Vegan10, Nov 15, 2018

Well in terms of skill-sets we don’t entirely share the same views, although in some respects you have some valid points.

In terms of the 1983-84 season, it’s not entirely correct to compare Zico with any future stars that arrived to Serie A, specifically taken into account that 1983-84 produced an outlier of higher goal scoring ratio than following seasons. You don’t know exactly how Rummenigge would have fared had he played in that season — all we know is Rummenigge in his debut season in 1984-85 was better than Zico that year, whom was always unreliable.

Furthermore, it’s been already established that Udinese in 1983-84 were never a mediocre team for Italian standards, rated top 4 by Guerin Sportivo prior to the start to the campaign, only ranked right behind Inter Milano.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/is...midfielder-of-all-time.2087266/#post-37142657

In addition, you put too much stock into Zico’s goals from free kicks, when the majority arrived against semiprofessional/amateur teams at State level, with obscure goalkeepers and defensive walls that were assembled in his path. And even though I accept his technical mastery at set-pieces, I can attest that he rarely beat top goalkeepers around the world from dead-ball situations.

So what do you prefer: a player that banged in 50 free kicks vs unknown goalkeepers and defenders ? Or the guy that hit 25 vs top class renowned goalkeepers and defenders in top flight leagues around the globe ?

At the NT level who did he beat ? Dasaev ? Miguel Ángel González Suárez ? Maier ? Schumacher ? Bats ? Fillol ? Clemence ? Zoff ? Arconada ? Bento ? Nope! Only vs Alan Rough, a very criticized goalkeeper from Scotland (second-rate European power) that barely moved off his line.

You try to look for a top class goalkeeper around the world from his era that he beat from the free kick and it’s hard to find.

It’s not how many you can make but who you make it against and when what matters that counts. In that regard, Zico’s 60 free kicks, as you mentioned, holds little weight in my view.

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #123 carlito86, Nov 15, 2018
    Even if goalscoring In Serie A 83/84 was an outlier compared to seasons that preceded it (or came after)we know he had a higher gpg ratio than Michel Platini a high scoring midfielder/forward who was also arguably a better scorer than KHR
    (Zicos 0.79 gpg was higher than any of platinis seasons for juventus)

In 83/84 zico scored 6 FK in 24 matches:
    1 FK every 4 matches in more Than 30 years remains a unbeatable record in Serie A(maradona,baggio,mihajlovic,Del piero and recently pjanic could never match this record)
    Zico did it in Italy against vetted and professional goalkeepers
    Btw I underestimated zicos FK tally some Brazilian sources place it between 80-110 (I underplayed him with the 60+ estimate)

You also put to much emphasis on a small part of my post (zicos superiority at set piece taking)
    Zico has an even greater advantage in dribbling (KHR was effective in acres of space not so much in crowded areas)
    Zicos passing range was like in another universe compared to him

There really is no aspect in which KHR would come out ahead except athleticism and arguably mentality (zico was arguably weak minded when compared to other all timers but his talent is imo not that far behind Pele if at all,he was that gifted IMO)

I know you will dismiss the level of opposition he faced but face it just isn’t as if KHR could go to an obscure league and start pulling off maradona esque passes and dribbles
    KHR did not have these weapons at his disposal so to speak

Zico was complete at playing any position in the opposition half
    KHR was only effective in the final third (his influence over his teams results therefore cannot be compared to zico)

24. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    I appreciate the effort and understand you have a soft spot for him but realistically speaking, I’m not too impressed about how he achieved his major accomplishments or feats: 1981 Copa Libertadores handed to Flamengo in the most unbelievable circumstances, with a corrupt official in Mr Jose Wright. In addition, avoided the path of Argentinian and Uruguayan sides as well. The National Championships in Brazil were also obtained with controversy written all over it.

The 6 free kicks you mentioned at Serie A, not only equaled by Dirceu in the same era, but most of them coming against newly promoted Catanzaro, Avellino and Genoa, teams at the bottom of the barrel. Never once did he beat the Zoff’s, Tancredi’s, Zenga’s or Tacconi’s of his day. The Platini and Maradona’s nailed 5 free kicks once in a season, which was only one lower making the difference marginal.

At the NT level he never made the difference against a top ranked team at the World Cup and even less so in a KO round. Brazil were virtually unbeatable in his epoch and not once made it to a final. Twice it can be said he cost Brazil to go further in pursuit of titles in 1979 and 1986.

Basically all of what you say sounds dandy but closer scrutiny reveals it did not translate to major triumphs in legitimate ways and his major exploits arrived against mostly obscure goalkeepers and defenders that you yourself wouldn’t be able to identify as being considered as world class around the globe.

Frankly, he could have scored 100 free kicks in his career or not, but it wouldn’t impress me because it wasn’t produced against the best defensive schemes and goalkeepers around the world. It’s very telling that at club level and NT he rarely if ever beat a renowned world class goalkeeper from the free kick.

carlito86 repped this.
  25. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There is also the huge drop off in KHRs goalscoring you did not address
    In bundesliga he looked like the 2nd gerd muller but in Serie A he was lowered to a shocking 0.31 ratio in 84/85
    This is damning for his legacy (a bit like shevchenco being tested in England and failing)

Remember zico was actually suffering with injuries throughout his 2nd season with Udinese
    So his 83/84 campaign is really the only season where a comparison between the two would be fair

Also it is worth noting a significant amount of zicos Serie A goals came from set pieces (where he proved to be deadly)
    But he is not alone

Maradona in Napoli had 41 penalties+ 26 freekicks out of 115 goals
    58% of his total goals came from set piece situations which Is streaks ahead of Roberto Baggio
    67 pen+20 FK in Serie A out of 205 Serie A goals:42% goals from set piece

And Michel Platini scored even less goals from set piece situations in juventus
    17 penalties
    14 Freekicks
    Out of 103 goals:
    30% goals from set piece

We can deduce from this that maradona was a relatively weak goalscorer heavily reliant on set pieces to post respectable goal stats
    In Napoli (I don’t have his boca stats but remember watching a compilation of his goals for boca and quite a lot where penalties aswell)

Not saying either he or the others are purely defined by goal statistics obviously not
    However we can pick holes in his record as much as we can do in zicos

Being a primary set piece taker of his teams is the difference between maradona being a Serie A top goalscorer and having a similar goal tally to a defender like Daniel Passarella for Fiorentina

Btw It has nothing to do with Serie A being this highly defensive league with extraterrestrial defenders
    Maradona was just an extremely average finisher who was only able to post respectable goal statistics with a significant amount of help of set pieces(btw being an expert set piece specialist has nothing to do with finishing ability)