The Greasy Chip Butty Song

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by jtdees, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jtdees

jtdees New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Spring, TX
    youtube video

That's a youtube video of Sheffield United supporters (as in the entire stadium) singing "The Greasy Chip Butty Song." Greasy Chip Butty, you ask? Glad to tell. It's a french fry sandwich, basically. But to them, it's more than that, it's one of their favourite things in the world, or at least in Sheffield.

You see, this song is about the wonderful things that make Sheffield the liveable town it is, to the tune of John Denver's "Annie's Song" from the album Back Home Again. It's simple, easy for a large crowd to sing a capella, and warms the heart with memories of home. Given that we're Houston, it'd warm the heart tremendously, to the tune of 104 degrees in the shade, but you know how it goes...

Sheffield United's modified lyrics are as follows:

You fill up my senses
    Like a gallon of Magnet
    Like a packet of Woodbines
    Like a good pinch of snuff
    Like a night out in Sheffield
    Like a greasy chip butty
    Like Sheffield United
    Come thrill me again....
    Na Na Na Naa Naa Naaaaa, ooo!

This is an extended explanation of those words, since most of us say "Huh?" It's good stuff.

I posted this, as proposed in the Pregame Thread for the 8/25 match against Columbus, as a lyrics challenge. Rules: Basically, PM me with suggestions of modifications of the words to apply to Houston, since we have Shiner and not Magnet, etc. The words in italics should be kept, to relate to the original JD song, but could be changed if essential. The part underlined would be nice to leave, as an homage, but it's less disappointing if you change that.

I'll leave the window open starting now, until next Tuesday, 8/28, at 7pm. I'll then sort through (if there's anything blatantly offensive it'll be disallowed) and post the suggestions by that night 9:30 pm. They will be anonymous, so that we don't play favourites and so we get the best song we can come up with. You can then PM me with votes. Rank your top 5 (they'll be numbered so you can tell which you're voting for) and I'll assign points for scores. Your favourite will have the highest number...5, the lowest that you vote on will have a 1, and all others are assumed to be 0. Whichever has the most points at the end wins. Voting will run until Friday, 8/31, at noon. Any votes after will not be counted. The winner will be posted, and coordination efforts will be made to orchestrate this song at the match Saturday, 9/1, against KC Wizards. These will probably be operated through the new guy TA Solder (or Soldier, if he gets his change), and any other volunteers. I'll try to show at the tailgate to help with the music, etc. but I may be hampered by work and not quite make it in time for rehearsal.

Of course, if everyone thinks this song sucks, or doesn't like my political scheme, or you're just a wet towel, we can forget all this happened, and I'll just be glad it was in the SG's folder, so the rest of the world won't think to look at it. I would encourage you to watch the video and get a feel for the melody, so you can fit syllables properly. It's really striking how unifying the song is for them, and it always makes it through on the TV feed on FSC (when they're in the Prem of course).

Thanks for your time.

2. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stoked by this idea.

3. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a gallon of Blue Bell?

4. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a mean hit from Waibel?

Like an elbow from Eddie?

:D

5. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a laser from Stuie?

a golazzo (sp) from Chingy?

6. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a keg full of Shiner?

I'll stop now and go back to work :p

7. AeroSquire1836

Feb 13, 2007
    HOUSTON
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a cold Black Iguana
    Like streamers for Toronto
    Like games at the mezz
    Like Senor Cool's Man-pris

8. jtdees

jtdees New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Spring, TX
    Just come up with a full set, and PM me

Let's say max 2 submissions per user

but yeah, those are good ideas

9. Bispham Seasider

Bispham Seasider New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nowt wrong wi' a gradely chip bu'ee, thar knows, lads an' lasses! :D

10. cpk_tx

cpk_tx Vamos Naranja!

Jul 2, 2006
    Pearland, TX
    I absolutely love the idea of what you're doing, and I hope that it works.

But I can't get this out of my head.

:eek:

11. jtdees

jtdees New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Spring, TX
    Hmm, got no full submissions. Maybe we'll try it next year.