The good, the bad, and the ugly -- with the pretty possibly left behind

Discussion in 'Group C: Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 5, 2014.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Climate won't be as much of a factor as the crowd support will be as I mentioned before. Colombia will feel at home which won't be the main factor for winning of course...
    ... BUT every little factor does help.

2. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah but are they technical enough consistently? I've seen their players play in their clubs and they're talented in a technical standpoint, I don't see that consistency continuing on with the national team; is the coach actually capable of using them to their full potential like Pekerman is with Colombia? Can CIV's golden generation actually achieve something meaningful for once for the nation? I think that it's been sad that they have not made full use of their players.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know it was just a friendly and I believe Ivory coast was experimenting with a new keeper but they looked really bad out there last night against Bosnia.
    They play anything like that against Japan and Colombia and they are toast.

4. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree..their defense looked weak and that goalie was terrible however we can't make too much of a game like this since everyone is playing at half speed to avoid any injuries ..look at Chile yesterday , they almost lost at home to Egypt .

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    It wasn't just the keeper, they were pretty much experimenting with most of the team. Still one or two of their main defenders looked horrible, but the terrible pitch made things even worse with people slipping all over the place.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True, But Chile still found a way to look good after the poor start.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    As did Cote d'Ivoire in the second half after Drogba entered the fray. Probably should have scored several goals.

8. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rumor is Falcao will play against Jordan which on our last friendly game to test out the knee....

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The goal was the only thing I saw that was great.
    Plus Chile actually won...

10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Then you obviously weren't watching the last 30 minutes, especially with regards to Drogba.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I did watch the last 30 minutes.
    Hence I said the only thing great was the goal.
    Everything else was improved no doubt, but nothing special of note.

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Hence you have bad eyesight.
    That said the entire frontline was not starting players, but backup or fringe players. They still should have scored several goals in the last 30 minutes.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Or you don't have proper perspective. Remember the comparison here was with Chile's second half. Chile's 3 goals were quality. Especially the first one that changed the momentum of the match.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not to mention (again) that my eyes saw Chile actually win their match. :p

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombia looked really good when their projected starters were out there today.
    Then they brought in subs and it was all down hill after that. Plus the backup Keeper mistakes were amateurish. Good thing he won't play a second in the World Cup.

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Really? You mean the Colombia that was outplayed by a bunch of U20, Senegalese and French lower league players? The same Colombia that played a man up for 23+ minutes and failed to make a single shot on or off of goal? What game were you watching? And since when are players like Zapata, Balanta, Martinez and Ramos subs?

Colombia may have dominated possession, but it was Senegal who looked more likely to score throughout. Colombia scored off of their only two shots on goal.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #67 HomietheClown, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    Zapata is projected to be a sub due to the fact he has not played many minutes for Milan since Seedorf became manager. Balanta has never started for Colombia. Jackson has only started a few friendlies here and there recently, while Ramos went almost a year and a half without even being called up.

So I believe "subs" is the appropriate term for those players.

I give Senegal's youngsters a lot of credit for scoring the Goals and showing a lot of heart coming back...
    ...but the Colombia that was up 2-0 was more of the real Colombia we will see in the World Cup. Not to mention Ospina , James and Cuadrado should provide much more leadership and class.
    And possession is important when talking about domination. Especially when it causes them to hack at you and foul and get a red card.

lfsr1544 repped this.
  18. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And which were you watching? Colombia went into the half up 2-0 and made various subs. Not to mention their best players aside from falcao (rodriguez,ospina,and cuadrado) did not play. They also were never a man up as pekerman never subbed anyone in for the injured mejia it was 10v10.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He obviously did not watch if he thought Senegal was a man up. :p

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I obviously did watch the game. Meija was out injured, I didn't see any substitution, but assumed there was one. The coach apparently didn't want to null the game with a 7th sub.

Still: Your World Cup team unable to beat what seems to be Senegal U23 + a few select scrubs on the fringes of the national team.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    When most of the project starters were out there the team looked great. Add in the three missing key players and things should look even better.

22. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yep, Colombia is in the world cup and Senegal is no where. Very well put, perfect analysis. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Estos amistosos no significan mucho aparte de poder hacer algun analysis individual del rendimiento de algunos jugadores. El resultado no importa, ni vale la pena darle bola a este banana. Soy celeste pero le tengo fe a Colombia van a hacer un buen mundial.

23. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    "bola a este banana." "Banana ball"? What is that?

24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ivory Coast final squad:
    Goalkeepers:
    Boubacar Barry (Lokeren), Sylvain Gbohouo (Sewe Sport) , Sayouba Mande (Stabaek)
    Defenders: Jean-Daniel Akpa Akpro (Toulouse) , Serge Aurier (Toulouse), Souleyman Bamba (Trabzonspor), Arthur Boka (VfB Stuttgart), Viera Diarrassouba (Caykur Rizespor), Constant Djakpa (Eintracht Frankfurt), Kolo Toure (Liverpool), Didier Zokora (Trabzonspor)
    Midfielders: Geoffroy Serey Die (Basle), Ismael Diomande (St Etienne), Max Gradel (St Etienne), Cheick Tiote (Newcastle United), Yaya Toure (Manchester City), Didier Ya Konan (Hannover 96)
    Forwards: Mathis Bolly (Fortuna Dusseldorf) , Wilfried Bony (Swansea City), Didier Drogba (Galatasaray), Gervinho (AS Roma), Salomon Kalou (Lille), Giovanni Sio (Basle)

Big omissions are Seydou Doumbia, who just can't seem to get a break for Cote d'Ivoire and Lacine Traore, who isn't fit enough to play right now.

25. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yep, banana ball. It's what they play with in the Amazon