The Goalkeeping Crisis!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Jan 26, 2018.

1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Das!

2. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
  3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That’s not how I read it. The player wants to play for Real Madrid but it hasn’t matched Roma’s valuation.

In a similar vein, I hear we’re after Lazio’s goalkeeper. Yeah, nor me.

4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    I suppose he wants to play in a shiny new stadium then again contracts mean zilch in football

6. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he want to play for Arsenal and why would Atletico let him go. Atleti came in 2nd in La Liga in no small measure to Oblak. Just about anyone they could get for the money would be a step down.

He's going to get CL football whether he stays in Madrid or moves to Liverpool, yes?

Finally, who is going to pony up the 87.5M that it will cost to accomplish the transfer?

If Klopp can get that kind of money, maybe I'm wrong. I don't think Arsenal can, especially with a change of manager. They're rebuilding, it seems to me.

7. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    The two A-list keepers that were 'available' are supposedly either staying in Madrid or moving there, this makes it a whole lot harder for Klopp to improve the GK situation

Would Klopp and Liverpool cough up 80 or 90 million for a top end keeper? I'm sure the bitter memory of the CL final might just sway the electorate tbh

Barcelona's second choice keeper has been angling a move and blowing kisses towards Anfield & this could be another genuine target

8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, the latest nonsense -- i hope it's nonsense -- is 88M + Jasper Cillessen for Salah. Cillessen is probably worth around 20M -- only 9 appearances for Barca last season -- so he's just a little better than Mignolet, but he's also only 6'1"

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I wouldn't do that deal even if they included ter Stegen AND cillesen.
    Jasper is a better goalkeeper than the two we currently have. By far.

10. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know enough about him to comment, but what are you basing your assessment of him on?

The Nederlands didn't qualify for WC2018. Was Cillissen their goalie?

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, because he wasn't getting first team action at the club level.
    His level of play at Ajax was high and he previously led the dutch to third in the '14 World Cup.

12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2014 was a long time ago. Was he the keeper for the Nederlands in their recent failure to qualify? That's not the whole story, obviously, because they couldn't score enough, but for Barca he only started in the Copa del Rey matches plus one league match. He's competing against Ter Stegen for PT, but it's hard to know, for me at any rate, how good he is now, since he rarely plays.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have no clue how any regular fan - i.e. not a professional coach/scout - can possibly evaluate a goalie, unless you watch them game in, game out, how can you tell? stats are good but you can poke holes in anything (the defence overall is good / is crap etc)

many many goalies can pull off a wow highlight-reel save now and then (unless you're deGea, who does is 10-15 times a year of course).

the other 99%+ of the job is made up of the routine but vital stuff -- handling tough crosses, the physical play, free kick positioning, communication with back 4, distribution of the ball. these are all vital to making the defence work and contribute to good stats but they never make it to any post-game review,

(note: most of what I said is true of all positions of course, but this is a goalie thread)

Suss repped this.
  14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Egypt's GK looked decent today....

15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It’s a good point. It’s much less true of other positions. You can watch a midfielder for 2 or 3 games and get a feel for what type of player they are or how good they are. A goalkeeper needs to be watched over a whole season, and even still you won’t know how he will respond to increased pressure.

SamScouse repped this.
  16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The "best keeper in the world" DeGea did a Karius today! ;)

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #92 Red Bird, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    3 shots on target, 3 goals! Seems the de Gea of the Premier League thrives in a bus-parking team such as Atletico and Man U. Talk about calamitous, that was a horror show.

18. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    One of the key areas to judge a keeper is his concentration over a period of 90 minutes, how he reacts to making a mistake or conceding a goal and how he commands his defensive team mates.

A keeper from a weaker side will be bombarded with shots, will always be alert and make save after save.....similarly a team that plays defensively, will assist the keeper insofar as to limit the amount of shots or clean shots at goal

A top keeper may go 20 minutes standing between the sticks, twiddling his thumbs until the opposition gets one or two chances and the keeper due to his high level of concentration makes the saves

I also believe nearly most keepers can make those Hollywood diving saves that come at a good hight for the keeper or those instinctive saves with close range shots.....it's getting up again after making the initial save and making another and another

newterp, Red Bird and SamScouse repped this.
  19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bang on the money.

20. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    One more point is the liverpool/ big club factor where the club is expected to win every game and that brings more pressure......if you lose a game and it was due to the keeper making a mistake :(.....it takes a big character to recover or stepping out of the limelight as Klopp did with Karius earlier on

21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He had an absolute howler in one of the friendlies prior to the tourney and allowed another soft one as well.

22. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Maybe he's just trying to get out of Manchester! :ROFLMAO:

23. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or maybe he really wants to stay?
    If he really wanted out...one or two of those howlers in a PL game prolly woulda done it...

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How much would we have to pay for Caspar?? He would be my vote......

25. Loover7

Loover7 New Member

Jul 2, 2018