The Goalkeeping Crisis!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Jan 26, 2018.

1. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kevin Trapp is probably available as he's 2nd string at PSG now. He made the Germany squad and has performed well for Germany when given the chance. We could probably pick him up on the cheap

3. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just saw the concussion news. The only thing that will help Karius if he really believes that the concussion led to his errors.

4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any thoughts about Timo Horn? Liverpool made a move for him before and he turned it down because German netminder education is better.

5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    A couple of thoughts from someone who initially dismissed the possibility of concussion.

Firstly, Ramos claimed his flayling elbow was not intentional. I’m not certain Ramos sneezes without intent. Equally, much like the Salah injury, Ramos’ dark doings paid dividends way beyond his hopes. Not saying that he didn’t want to knock Salah and Karius out of the game, it’s more that I’ll bet he never expected to do so and certainly without a card for either “challenge”. The lad should play the lottery.

Secondly, Karius was only saved by the bar against Roma on Bale’s second goal, so I’d say he had form there. But on Benzema’s goal, in hindsight, 20/20 and all that, it patently was the actions of someone with concussion or far from 100%. And that goal happened mere minutes after the elbow.

Thirdly, as has been posted here, concussion can be difficult to spot, as the player plays on apparently normally, sometimes, often, making great plays, scoring goals etc. That’s why rugby is far superior in this respect - at the slightest hint of concussion, the player MUST leave the field for a HIA (head injury assessment) by a neutral doctor. The difficulty for football perhaps might be that during the HIA, the team is allowed to bring on a replacement for the duration - usually less than 10 minutes. So a rule change would be required.

Fourthly, I have concerns about the LFC, medics/trainers etc. not catching the concussion. This falls well within their job descriptions. And as much as Karius might have objected, I’d be reasonably certain Mignolet would not have let in Bale’s shot. Would he have made other errors? Perhaps, perhaps not, but again with the retrospect, I do believe I would have been more comfortable with a full Mignolet than a partial Karius. To my mind, there’s not a huge lot between them (6.5 vs 6) anyway. Neither are good enough, as is, to be the number 1; both are fine as a number 2.

Fifthly, Ramos…

6. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't consider us in crisis. Karius was fantastic after taking over leading up to the CL final. He ticks all the boxes, and his underlying statistics were fantastic as well and perfectly suited to the way we play. That Ramos got away with what he did in the final is a travesty, but it is what it is.

We still should be getting a young keeper to push Karius in the future. Who knows how he comes back from this concussion or the final.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like Karius a lot more than I used to but I was always skeptical that when everyone was singing his praises that he hadn't really been tested. He failed that test at the biggest stage. Was he concussed? It's entirely possible but this is the wrong time to be concerned with that. We should've yanked him when it happened. Now we just look like sore losers who can't swallow the fact that we lost (no matter how shitty the manner of losing was).

8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) it's the opinion of UMass Hospital medical staff that he suffered a concussion. that diagnosis could be wrong, but questioning it seems very cynical to me.
    b) if by "wrong time" you are suggesting that the right time was when the game was going on, that means Mignolet replaces Karius. maybe that's a better result.
    c) i think Liverpool lost because Ramos is a horrible person. if that makes me a sore loser, i can live with that.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the word is goalkeeper. netminders are in the NHL.

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes - all very well, but as Bill Shankly would say - did you win???
    ;)

Wingtips1 repped this.
  11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm just trying to imagine Manure losing to Real in the way we did and then hearing after the game the excuses and us not laughing at them. I'm having a hard time.

I just don't want to think about this game anymore. Ramos is a piece of shit and everyone not wearing white is sick to death of Real but I feel like we were too naive about what he's about and trying to stop him. Maybe I am cynical. Has the WC started yet?

Wingtips1 repped this.
  12. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Huh?!...I don't remember...???:confused:

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For once I agree with you 100%.... (I was having trouble living with it for a couple of days though). Until about last Tuesday if I had been Mafia I would have sanctioned Ramos' assassination - and people will know that given my tone and tendency to mention a certain Dick Cheney a lot - I am not normally in favour of murder.....

14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just so, sir. sorry. ice hockey was my second language. futbol is my third.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    s'alright, just don't do it again my good man. :cool:

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capitals!

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Knights!!!!

18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The sentence needed some capitals but was just fine without any knights.

19. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We can point out the post-game concussion diagnosis and wonder to what extent it influenced those two goals without prattling on that but for Ramos Liverpool hoists Big Ears.

Even if comfortable saying the concussion cost us two goals -- a pretty big leap but maybe meritorious -- ultimately that makes it a 1-1 game and Real Madrid had the run of play and should be favored to win. Also, if we're playing this "but for the concussion game" I think you have to also eliminate the crazed fan keeping Ronaldo from getting in (tho at 1-1 maybe he doesn't get loose), the point being this: we lost the game, probably the better team won, could we have won the game sure.

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Does the doctors desision mean that we won and Marid will mail the cup on to us?

CB-West repped this.
  21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how interested are you in the court of public opinion???

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the run of play without Mo Salah ....... are they favoured to win with th erun of play and a different score than 1-1......????

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

For Cheney?

Can it punish with the Lash???

;)

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #74 Red Bird, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Bang on the money. Karius distribution is marginally bette:. He does mess up with the odd quick throw out such as that which led fo City’s first goal, is indecisive at crucial times, the Kolarov strike which he flapped at and Nainggolan’s epic long range strike against which he made no effort to dive and save, come readily to mind.

25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It's the sort of public opinion that fades unfortunately. Ten Years from now only LFC fans will remember ..........