The Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NickyViola, Nov 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Weather isn't climate, but from my area ...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...submerge-portions-of-northeastern-us/70005784

"The combination of the extensive moisture from the Gulf states and Southeast states and the slow-moving nature of the storm over a several-day period of heavy rain have led to some heaviest rains that people have experienced," Abrams said.

For example, Little Falls, New Jersey, received in 5 inches in about two hours on Monday.

The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area of Pennsylvania received record-breaking daily rainfall with 4.25 inches of rain at the official observing point. The previous daily record was about 2.5 inches of rain during Hurricane Camille in 1955, according to Abrams.

The highest National Weather Service (NWS) Spotter total yesterday was 8 inches in Brick Township, New Jersey. However, there was also a CoCoRAHs report of 9.92 inches at Mohnton, Pennsylvania.​

Spinning up another round as I type.

And I am not looking forward to going into my basement ...

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Uhhh people! :eek:

Scientists are warning that a domino effect will kick in if global temperatures rise more than 2°C above pre-industrial levels, leading to "hothouse" conditions and higher sea levels, making some areas on Earth uninhabitable.

The report, "Trajectories of the Earth System in the Anthropocene," published Monday in the American Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, said "hothouse" temperatures could stabilize 4°C to 5°C (7 to 9 Fahrenheit) higher than pre-industrial levels.

"Human emissions of greenhouse gas are not the sole determinant of temperature on Earth. Our study suggests that human-induced global warming of 2°C may trigger other Earth system processes, often called 'feedbacks,' that can drive further warming -- even if we stop emitting greenhouse gases," lead author Will Steffen of the Australian National University said.

And we can try to slow it down at least. But that would take greater effort by everyone and the removal of climate change deniers from government.

Katherine Richardson of the University of Copenhagen, one of the report's co-authors, told CNN the idea of a tipping point is not new. "We've always realized there might be a point of no return," she said.

"The implications are that if we can't stop it we're in a hell of a mess. Our societies could not continue the way they are now with an average temperature increase of 4°C to 5°C (and) 10 to 60 meter sea level rises. It would simply be unbearable for our society."

"Avoiding this scenario requires a redirection of human actions from exploitation to stewardship of the Earth system," Steffen said.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/07/health/hothouse-earth-warming-intl/index.html?r=https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/08/07/health/hothouse-earth-warming-intl/index.html?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQECAEoAQ%3D%3D

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We're doomed. Remember those tweets about how electing Trump felt like the beginning of apocalyptic movies and how everything went crashing afterwards..

I guess now the question is what dystopian future awaits for us:

- Mad Max
    - Waterworld
    - Handmaid's Tale
    - Hunger Games
    - Elysium
    - 12 Monkeys
    - Planet of the Apes
    - Idiocracy

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are we running this as a vote? If so...
    Nah, too hot.
    I can't swim.
    Is it wrong of me to consider that and think, 'Am I one of the people who'll get to bang hot chicks'? I'm guessing, yes, it is :(

TBF, as I've never seen it, maybe I've misunderstood the premise of the piece.
    That reminds me... when's dinner?
    No WAY I'd be one of the people on the space station, so, no.
    As I'm maybe one of the people who are a little more equal than others, (wrong Orwell book but, bear with me), that's a possibility.
    Well, I don't get many colds or flu nowadays but sounds a bit risky.
    if my monkey master is a good sort and allows me to take a day off that's a possibility. Knowing me he'll be a right bellend so, no.
    I'm probably about the same weight as president Camacho but not the build PLUS I don't like the sound of Brawndo so, again, no.

So, handmaid's tale for me but I suspect we'll end up with Idiocracy, as much as anything because we're halfway there already :(

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not exactly, but could be arranged... Let me talk with Vlad.

True global warming is a myth.

Grow gills then.

As long as you consider hot unshaved and permanently under a burka, yes hot. Also you have to be old, rich and perform your duties in public.

That only the elders get the chicks.

District 12 serves at noon.

No Shuttlejacking either?

There are no bears in the farm.

You just need one. Maybe monkeypox

Or a lobotomy.

I have the perfect post for you:

[​IMG]

Agreed. Just a couple of generations, at least we will stop killing the planet. Sort of.

6. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Chin up naughty......I've spoken to S.W.M.B.O. and she's agreed to double your daily dose of Ginko Biloba! :thumbsup:

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It worries me that they won’t be able to close the casket....

roby repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Natch!
    That's what I like about you. You bring me solutions, not problems... bloody silly ones but solutions, nevertheless.
    As I've got old my standards have dropped.
    So, OK for one of them then :) Two if I'm desperate.
    if this is a sales pitch, it's working :)
    Bit early for me, but, OK!
    Ah! No good :(
    I like bears :(
    Do all my bits fall off? Even the ones I want to keep? Not that there's a lot of them now but, still...
    Rising up the rankings this one :)
    So, more Brawndo coz 'it's got want plants crave - elotrolytes'.

Anyway, as a town councillor I've been invited to take part in this consultation...

http://www.greenshropshirexchange.org.uk/community/green-shropshire-xchange-14925/home

So it turns out that I, myself, am 'Not Sure' and am part of the efforts to save the planet.

We might as well all shoot ourselves in the head right now :(

roby repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have no idea what that is and, even if you tell me, I'll have forgotten it by tomorrow so I wouldn't bother :(

roby repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

So to make it short, it seems like you are between Handmaid's, Apeland and Idiocracy. We will probably end up with a combination of the three. Heck, an orange baboon is our president and half of our people thinks he's really smart and that the Earth is 6,000 years old. It's only a matter of time until we have to take our places in the Washington Mall to see Sanders [booooo] or Ivanka [yeeeeeah] submit to their duties.

Auriaprottu, roby and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  11. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    #4111 roby, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    No bother....

"What is ginkgo biloba good for?
    Researchers believe that ginkgo improves cognitive function because it promotes good blood circulation in the brain and protects the brain and other parts from neuronal damage. However, other research suggests that ginkgo may not improve memory among people who are healthy."

If by chance you might be healthy eat lots of Twinkies to correct that, then try some ginkgo! It didn't work for me but you might get lucky. :unsure:

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Here I was thinking you'd explain what S.W.M.B.O. is.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    H. Rider Haggard, 'She who must be obeyed'

'The Little Woman', (AKA TLW for me :)).

My missus, IOW.

dapip and crazypete13 repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    crazypete13 repped this.
  15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/07/world/climate-change-new-ipcc-report-wxc/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

New report: radical change is needed to avoid disaster by 2030. And all this time I was planning to live to a hundred. So much for that :D

But on a very serious note, as some of you regulars know, I advocate limiting the power of central governments and other large powerful organizations, and focusing more on empowering individual initiative, small businesses and organizations, and to the extent that government is needed, giving more of a role to localized political power.

But when it comes to this issue, even I believe that we are going to need to make an exception and find a way to all work together, from the individuals and small local organizations, to central governments, nations and large international organizations, corporations, religious organizations, everybody who has power and influence.

I tend to be skeptical what I consider to be excessive regulations proposed and imposed by big government, as often they are frivolous, self serving, or even when well intentioned, designed by politicians who don’t fully understand the issues involved. But I propose that this is one time where we must start looking at serious regulations about our use of energy- led by scientists rather than politicians. And in addition, it’s up to us as individuals and private entities to educate ourselves and strive to go even above and beyond those regulations.

It will take a concerted effort by all of us to save ourselves and give our children a planet in which they can live.

fatbastard, dapip, NORML and 8 others repped this.
  16. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Not to worry.....as a financial analyst he should know! :rolleyes:

Energy & Environment

Kudlow calls U.N. climate report an 'overestimate'

By KELSEY TAMBORRINO

10/14/2018 11:33 AM EDT

"I don’t think there’s an imminent disaster coming, but I think we should look at this in a level-headed and analytic way," said White House National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow. | Susan Walsh/AP Photo

MotorcycleGang repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MotorcycleGang repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Auriaprottu and NER_MCFC repped this.
  19. MotorcycleGang

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Nov 11, 2017
    Miami, Florida, U.S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got into an thing with a military guy yesterday on Facebook who denies climate change was man made. He just. Would. Not. Accept. Facts.

I even showed him the US Military has said climate change is a national security issue and he said that was "when Obama ran the military" I mentioned the Pentagon report came AFTER Obama and he said it was because Obama's scientists were still in the government. I asked him to explain the actual data in the report and he hand waived that away as well. You really cannot get most Republicans to accept facts.

https://psmag.com/environment/our-government-is-in-two-minds-over-climate-change

luftmensch and Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conservatives love Charlton Heston, right? Show him this.

ceezmad repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the devil is in the details, but Washington voters reject the chance/pain of becoming the first state with a carbon tax.

Naturally the oil industry spent 30+ million in favor of the no vote.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/voters-rejecting-carbon-fee-in-first-day-returns/

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Long article on the loss of insects and what it means.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/magazine/insect-apocalypse.html

A tl;dr excerpt:

But extinction is not the only tragedy through which we’re living. What about the species that still exist, but as a shadow of what they once were? In “The Once and Future World,” the journalist J.B. MacKinnon cites records from recent centuries that hint at what has only just been lost: “In the North Atlantic, a school of cod stalls a tall ship in midocean; off Sydney, Australia, a ship’s captain sails from noon until sunset through pods of sperm whales as far as the eye can see. ... Pacific pioneers complain to the authorities that splashing salmon threaten to swamp their canoes.” There were reports of lions in the south of France, walruses at the mouth of the Thames, flocks of birds that took three days to fly overhead, as many as 100 blue whales in the Southern Ocean for every one that’s there now. “These are not sights from some ancient age of fire and ice,” MacKinnon writes. “We are talking about things seen by human eyes, recalled in human memory.”

What we’re losing is not just the diversity part of biodiversity, but the bio part: life in sheer quantity. While I was writing this article, scientists learned that the world’s largest king penguin colony shrank by 88 percent in 35 years, that more than 97 percent of the bluefin tuna that once lived in the ocean are gone. The number of Sophie the Giraffe toys sold in France in a single year is nine times the number of all the giraffes that still live in Africa.​

Meh. We'll be able to technology our way out of this.

fatbastard, Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...and walked away frustrated, because he is blissful in his ignorance.

Do you ever consider walking away the second you think you've encountered someone who'd deny climate change to begin with?