The Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NickyViola, Nov 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the 80s are back, because James Baker and George Schultz (I thought he was dead?) have a conservative climate change plan. They propose a pretty robust carbon tax, the proceeds of which will be distributed on a per cap or possibly even progressive basis. In return, the EPA will end most/all of the related regulations.

Thoughts?

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baker and Schultz, thanks for playing, but you coulda done that thirty years ago and decided not to.

NER_MCFC repped this.
  4. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013

Measured 2 years ago year but confirmed today:

According to the World Meteorological Organization in Geneva, the new record high temperature on continental Antarctica is a downright pleasant 63.5 degrees Fahrenheit (17.5 degrees Celsius). The measurement was recorded at the Esperanza base on March 24th, 2015 but was confirmed this week as part of the WMO's ongoing study of extreme weather and climate conditions around the world.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm shocked, SHOCKED that Trump's EPA chief is a moron.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...tt-questions-basic-facts-about-climate-change

"I would not agree that [CO2] is a primary contributor to the global warming that we see," Scott Pruitt said Thursday in an interview with CNBC's Joe Kernen.

"I believe that measuring with precision human activity on the climate is something very challenging to do, and there's tremendous disagreement about the degree of impact," Pruitt said.

Those statements are at odds with an overwhelming body of scientific evidenceshowing that humans are causing the climate to warm by releasing CO2 into the atmosphere. The view that CO2 is a major heat-trapping gas is supported by reams of data, included data collected by government agencies such as NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Pruitt's comments come just over two weeks after he took the helm of the EPA, the agency with the authority to regulate CO2 and other greenhouse gases as pollutants. In 2014, the EPA unveiled rules that would require substantial reductions to greenhouse gases from power plants as part of a broader effort to limit global warming. The rule was contested by industry and states, and is currently under review in the courts.

Pruitt also said he believed that a major climate agreement reached in Paris was "a bad deal," and that he would soon be making an announcement about changes to so-called CAFE standards, which set fuel efficiency goals for cars and trucks.

Pruitt's latest statements on climate change come after the second-warmest February in the past 123 years, according to NOAA.​

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The guy is a lawyer with degrees in political science and communications. He should be doing climate-change science like I should be doing neurosurgery.

American Brummie repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or like Ben Carson is doing housing policy!!!

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't "Urban" dog-whistle for "Black?"

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Any Republican leader knows more than any trained expert, on any subject.

fatbastard repped this.
  10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly. I think dog whistles are stupid. You should just call a spade a spade.

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So you're against PC? Go figure...

12. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people should speak plainly and use the English language.

If people want to say something about inner city blacks being responsible for high crime rates and high out-of-wedlock pregnancy rates, they should just say so. Saying "urban" just tells me you afraid to speak your mind because you might offend someone.

People defending self-destructive pathologies of various racial and ethnic groups -- even poor whites -- could use a little offending IMHO.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Trumpism at its finest. You already blame poor people for not lifting themselves by the boot straps. What's next? Undocumented immigrants?

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The bigger point being what?

15. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not blaming anyone for anything. The discussion was about the word "urban" being a dog whistle. I think the idea of dog whistles are stupid. So I gave an example, not a declaration of my own beliefs. I'm saying that if that's what people are referring to, they should say it.

Try and keep up.

16. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About what?

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Talking about high crime rates & out of wedlock births. You have some good conservative solutions? Jobs? Educational opportunities? Tax cuts for billionaires?

dapip repped this.
  18. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an example of what people who use "urban" as a dog whistle for blacks might be referring to. I stated they should say what they mean.

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, anyway, global ********ing warming...

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You tell it as it is. Clearly.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's a hoax.

22. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate your adulation, but it is not required.

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes your orangeness. We ought to use less PC language because that is the source of all our problems.

24. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Obama!

25. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dog whistles are a tactic developed such that politicians can say things they can't get away with saying without getting in trouble. Your description of them sounds hopelessly naive, of course they're stupid, but they work, and that's why people use them. I mean it's pretty much just marketing, you're demanding truth in advertising but that's just not how the game works when the whole goal is to convince gullible people to buy your product.