The Gini, Mini, Mane, Mo Show - Farewell Takumi Minamino

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 19, 2019.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    SamScouse repped this.
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Somebody is always thinking of how to keep the players as a team.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Takumi Minamino: Liverpool's newest signing could make a global impact
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50986663

"Definitely, it will boost Liverpool's popularity here in Japan," said Yumiko Tamaru, secretary for Japan's Official Liverpool Supporters Club.

"Real Madrid and Barcelona have been the most popular European football clubs here in Japan, but I think Liverpool will be as popular as these Spanish giants if Minamino flourishes in Liverpool.

"A lot of football fans have already started to contact us asking how they can get Liverpool's match tickets. I think you will find more Japanese fans at Anfield after January."

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think / hope we'll see a lot of Takumi in the coming weeks/months ....

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...xclusive-rb-salzburg-manager-details-18309813
    Takumi Minamino’s former coach at Red Bull Salzburg, Jesse Marsch, remains one of the Japanese attacker's biggest fans.

The pair still converse via text message on a regular basis, and while Minamino is no longer a Red Bull Salzburg player, the principles that the American coach drilled into him during their time together certainly still remain.
    Marsch accepts that his former star has not become a regular at Anfield yet - no-one would question that - but he has no doubt that he will do sooner rather than later.

Speaking exclusively on a special Blood Red podcast, the 46-year-old explained: "What you have right now at Liverpool is some of the best players in the world in this position.

"Taki is still young and he will need to adapt. He is not a purely explosive player like Sadio Mane or Mo Salah - he has physical qualities, but he is a really intelligent footballer. It may take time for everyone to fully appreciate his qualities, but it will come.

"We’ve seen it here - his ability to understand tactical systems, his ability to find attacking moments, be good around the goal, it’s all good. It may take a little bit of time but eventually it will come together for him."

newterp repped this.
  5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I keep forgetting that we signed him. I like the 5 subs. It will give Klopp a chance to use more of the squad and give chances to youngsters.

6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure - it’s definitely a positive.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep I want to see Jones get minutes as well. If Lallana and Shaq are in fact halfway out the door, that should open up fir him.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd keep Shaq.... he has that little somethign special that you usually have to pay for .... plus he seems like a good guy in the squad ...

Jones should play a lot next year. Basically Klopp should try to swap him for GW....

9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

After reading that I've come to a couple of conclusions:

Where is Takumi Minamino's best role?
    - I have no idea

Is he any good?
    - I have no idea

And does any of it matter?
    - Of course it does.

If this continues, he'll be sold next summer. Love the guy's attitude but jeez.

11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's at best a squad player rather than a starter. Still not convinced he suits prem league football.

12. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    I was hoping for more if I’m honest but still optimistic.

13. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Very good technical player. Hasn't adapted to the physicality of the Prem. Agree that if he can't make the transition this season move him on.

14. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Both Minamino and Keita seem to be struggling with "adapting" to the PL physicality...while events like Thiago's and VvD's "altercations" seem to support that the "physicality" will continue to be allowed unchecked...:rolleyes:

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't want to hammer on the guy - I love his attitude - but tbh I don't see him as that great technically.

I haven't seen any top-level skills from him. he doesn't control difficult passes with one touch - the way Bobby or Mane (or Trent) can do. he doesn't dribble/glide/zoom past defenders with ease, or flick a backheel pass to unlock a bunch of defenders. he has a decent shot on him, and works like hell, but ..... that isn't enough for LFC.

I hope to hell I'm wrong.

16. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Don't disagree with his skill level - was describing his style. He is a very good player who relies upon technical skills. Is his skill level at the same level as our top stars, no he hasn't displayed that yet. And technical skill alone don't cut it in the Prem. You've got to be able to deal with the physical play and the speed at which things happen, different from the continental leagues.

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he can be a good backup, but whether he'll ever really get the minutes needed to develop into an asset for a club competing on the highest level is very much in question at this point. Origi did, even if he's now declining, Shaq did. We'll see? I still like what I've seen from this player in moments.

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s hardly played, though, has he? I’ll trust Klopp and co. on this one.

At one stage Rodgers was ready to usher Firmino out of the door. In fact he went in to skunk £32 million on Benteke in the following season such was his lack of faith.

Talking of Rodgers, he’s showing Gray through the door over at Leicester, a player of whom much was thought

soccershaggy repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Firmino and Benteke came in the same summer - it was the height of the Rodgers v Committee battle.

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My bad, you're right. I just recalled Firmino's purchase being used in a pro-Rodgers hatchet job by Neil ashton of the Daily Mail at that time.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Me too - but he doesn't play a lot of premiership minutes.

Physically, he's no less well built than was that failure David Silva ...

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp on Minamino: "Taki is an incredible player, a big part of it tonight was for sure the best game for us. He played a super game, he was a constant threat. Without him we wouldn't be in the 1/4 final, without him we wouldn't have been in the League Cup Final."

Milner on Minamino: "He just carries on. Every single day he's at that level. He's brilliant in training, great temperament, no matter what's happening. You can rely on him, he keeps bagging goals and important goals as well."

Milner on Minamino: "He's a great guy. What a guy, what a player! He's been patient, obviously the players we have there's been competition all over the field, every time he comes in he delivers. Such a nice guy, you're delighted for him every time he scores."

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minamino to Monaco - Fee agreed with Monaco for £15.5m.

speker repped this.
  25. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think we paid around 5 or 7m for him, we can not complain 15m