Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HartwickFan, striker, TarHeels17 and 3 others repped this.
  2. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Woof.

There is no national language.

orcrist repped this.
  3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    apologies for hijacking the thread. but that sounds a lot like the definition of fascism.

Speaking which
    Guys are missing the big take away here...not that he signed for pool, but that Atleti was asking for him.

A chance to play with Greezer and El Guapo Diego Costa in Madrid sounds like a lot more fun that Dortmund winters with Gutzee the failed child actor.

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would clearly be behind Shaqiri as well, but if its a deal for summer then guys like Danny and Lallana will be gone. Ox will be back though, and he would also be competing for minutes. LFC also have other young attackers out on loan to bring back for bench options, namely Wilson.

So.... it continues to not make much sense at all. Chelsea for next summer, that makes some sense. Still need a good source for any of this, as none of the crap linked here so far has been worth a damn.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    They're fricken good. Shaquiri legitimately coming off the bench? Ridiculous

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    In Klopp's current system he could play any 4 positions in the attack. False 9, wide attacking forwards, shadow striker. They have Shaquiri, but other than him they don't have any other great depth. Sturridge is there but I'd take Pulisic's more complete game over his for Klopp's system

HartwickFan repped this.
  7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ejaria has been recalled from his loan already.

8. No, they can't. Spending has to be within revenue limits.

superdave repped this.
  9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Even with him, they don't even have as much depth as Man Utd, much less Man City. They have 5 quality attacking options, and they start 4. They need someone like Pulisic.

10. With the new rules in waiting with Brexit homegrown players will be at a premium. So doubt CP will be able to shift a HG out of the team. If any player, he will/has to shift a foreigner out.

zanderbz repped this.
  11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I should also say while Utd have more pieces, none of those pieces are as good as all 4 of Liverpool's first 4.

But they have Lingaard, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Mata, and Alexis

EruditeHobo repped this.
  12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I give Brexit a 40% chance of actually happening

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly wouldn’t assume CP can be effective at the top level as a false 9! No evidence to suggest that... how often has he played there? Either way, he’d at best backup Bobby.

If I thought this were happening I’d think he would be first choice backup LW... that’s the thinnest spot at the club currently, followed by striker.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    With the National Team and Dortmund in prior seasons. When he's comfortable and on, he's elite at any of those positions. I've seen him flash in every single quality you'd want.

Right now he needs the freedom and a manager who can bring that out of him consistently.

I don't know why people assume that whatever his latest form is his permanent form, but it's not. The kid has shown world class ability. He may or may not get there, but it's in him.

HartwickFan, adi21, y-lee-coyote and 2 others repped this.
  15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He's the still the same player that did this against Munich:

HartwickFan repped this.
  16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

This ^^^^^

I think Favre's system is not allowing him to shine, be his artistic and explosive self.

HartwickFan repped this.
  17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't know about that - he hasn't been world class to begin the season (he was good though), and he hasn't shown commitment to his club - meanwhile Sancho's rise means they don't necessarily NEED Pulisic to compete for the title, when they have both Reus and Sancho playing really well.

I think if he signed that contract or showed world class form early on, he'd be the one of the focal points of this attack and given a hell of a lot more freedom.

Don't blame Favre - who's an excellent manager - a bit for his decidedly pedestrian showings this last month. But Favre needs to build this team around the players he knows are going to be there for the next few years.

It's a bit of an unusual situation.

mschofield and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    No doubts he could have done better. And Favre has been an excellent manager so far, so no not blaming anyone for Pulisic's form.

However, just watching him this season; something does seems a bit off. Not sure if its a confidence thing, a system thing, etc. But did CP spend any time on the LW this season at all, where he did quite well last season?

Those dangerous and daring runs, taking on people.....I see less of it this season.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    That goes to the commitment thing, IMO. He looks honestly a bit lackadaisical. Or perhaps bored. He hasn't been playing high intensity matches recently. His last 2 extended outings have been a meaningless Champion's League match and then against Brugges. You have to go all the way back to early November when he played an average 60 against Ateltico to find a meaningful match he played in.

This is all the hallmarks of a player who's on his way out

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Atletico because they are overachievers. And to me, El Cholo Simeone is one of the best coaches in the world, he can make players believe in themselves, no matter what the media says.

21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Imagine what Simeone can do with a budget like guys at RM, Barca, PSG, ManU, Man City, etc.

But maybe he's a guy that thrive as an underdog.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he’s got a lot of skills and upside... by I mean, fans of Freddy Adu could do this too, point to some YouTube clips. I’m not comparing them, CP is on a completely different level, I’m just saying this isn’t a convincing argument when CPs entire issue is consistency over the course of getting real minutes. Small sample size is good for highlight reels but that’s not why players get bought.

When did he play false 9 for BVB? As a sub? In the youth teams? He may be able to do it! One day he may be a great false 9 but that’s not what anyone is buying right now.

I look forward to getting more info about this... the latest seems to be he’s staying out at BVB until summer. The agreed deal suggestion comes from questionable sources, and if it were LFC then Liverpool papers would be on it pretty quickly. But we will see.

I do think the early agreed deal is a tactic that should be used more often in the market.

23. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    His recurring calf injury is the most likely explanation for that.

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC is running with it now as well. Same Spanish original source with Daily Mail addendum.

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I think he might have spent some minutes as a false 9 for the USMNT. Can't remember exactly, but if he did play at the 9; it's still a very small sample size.

I think we have enough clips of him playing in 3 key attacking positions: LW, AM/CAM, and RW.

He could easily slot into any of those positions in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3.