Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sounds like fake news. They're basing their accusations on random quotes and a skit on Les gignols de l'info. Sorry but LOL.

Also, now the Spanish are the most monitored league around, with periodical testing. Yet they keep ruling European competitions. They're the only federation to keep all seven clubs still in Europe, and their FIFA Coefficient has only gone up in the last 3 years, since the very tight testing was introduced.

The difference in points between their league and the #2 (England's) is as big as that between the Eredivisie and the Macedonian league (22 points). If they had been doping before, you'd expect their numbers to plummet once they started testing more.

It sounds to me more like sour grapes from the UK, to be frank. They should worry more about all the mafia money in the EPL.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21127 EruditeHobo, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Maybe contrast the way the league has paid money compared to the EPL, and the percentage of revenue which is funneled directly to Madrid and Barcelona? It's slowly getting remedied I believe, but doping allegations isn't the half of their unfair advantage over other clubs...

Don't get me wrong, I give great credit to Atletico and Sevilla for finding ways to be quite competitive despite their huge disadvantage -- but for decades Madrid and Barca were propped up by the league.

I didn't realize the degree to which this has finally ended, looks like they have a much more even revenue distribution model that was adopted just this past year. So good for them, finally.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you please do this somewhere else?

taylor, 60611, adi21 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Oh yes, the issue with Real and Barça is well known. There is a lot of politics behind it, too. Instead of having two political parties like in the USA, they got a system with left/right well defined, and while the Castilian side has always had, let's say, Fascistic sympathies, the Catalan side has had his own romance with Communism.

Also, let's not forget Spain is the only country in the planet where anarchism ruled for a short time. Something these days considered impossible, happened there. So there's a streak of radical ideas going on, quite foreign to the rest of Europe who stick to the more usual divisions (although they're getting all radicalized too, happens once a century at least, anyway).

To put it bluntly: they have to give the Big Two extra everything to keep the social order going. Barcelona and Real Madrid are necessary, like Boca and River or Celtic and Rangers. Or Shakhtar-Dynamo in the Ukraine (the former now forced to play in Kharkiv because "Putin khuylo!").

Soccer is not just a sport. And you guys know it.

Anyway, in England they've also looked the other way when bit clubs like City and Chelski have done their gray-area deeds. Of course Abramovich got a bit too cocky and now if he wants to visit London he has to go in drag.

PS: Sorry for going off-topic. But it's one of the things I like about Puli in Germany: they have less baggage than other big Euro leagues. The Germans, compared to Italy (my god!), Spain, England, and even France, are clean. Well, not Bayern.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally agree with this point, I've always liked Dortmund and the modern BL.

Was a natural progression of a conversation. But sure, I'm done either way.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  6. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Liverpool won’t pay $50million+ for a project. So says Erudite Hobo. 500 times in this thread

7. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Insurance??

Dortmund are pros at this. CP could get on a good run of form and his price increase could equal Theta decay on the contract. I think they can get fiftyish if his second half is just a tiny bit better than his first half. Chelsea are the ones playing a dangerous game if they lose Hazard and get a transfer ban. CP might or might not be able to fill those shoes, but he would most certainly be better than nobody.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said that — 50M USD would be a great deal.

Either way as y-lee said, right now Chelsea are the only club really in play for multiple reasons.

9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough choice for the kid. He's been toiling at BVB for 3+ years, and now his club is poised to do something really special. I can't imagine he's dying to leave, especially when it might not improve his overall situation to go to a place where his place in the starting XI is no more likely than at BVB. It isn't at Chelsea, certainly not at Liverpool, and also not at Bayern. I don't see him moving for money at his age, so my money now is on him staying through till the July transfer window.

zanderbz repped this.
  10. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life is better when you use the full complement of forum functionality.

LouisianaViking07/09 and kumuyc repped this.
  11. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    #21137 MtnGardener, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    If my post is the first you're hearing about it, please do some research. It was waaaay more solid than what I linked. I just picked the first google result that mentioned any detail at all. There were court hearings. There were first person accounts. It is beyond a doubt that soccer players were involved. In the end, the court decided that "patient confidentiality was more important", so we'll never know who. But there were like 400 positive samples (across all sports), if I remember correctly?

Here is another earlier one:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...s-made-by-former-Real-Sociedad-president.html

If you don't like that one, I can find you another.

12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    The latest odds from Betway on the club Christian Pulisic will be with at end of the January transfer window:

Borussia Dortmund 8/13 (from 1/2)
    Chelsea 5/4 (from 7/4)
    Liverpool 14/1
    Bayern Munich 25/1
    Manchester City 25/1
    Manchester United 25/1

taylor repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    To be blunt, I wouldn't trust the UK press with any report that has anything to do with Spain. And vice versa (they are insinuating the Catalan separatist movement is financed by England, btw).

The two countries have been spouting lies about each other since the times of the Gran Armada, it seems to me.

14. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I pretty much assume that all athletes at a certain level dope. I would actually be more surprised if the opposite story emerged

16. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, sh!t, give the poor guy a break! So many BSers have blocked the Hobo's contributions (including me) that he has to repeat them at least 1000 times to meet his quota of readers.

Midas Mulligan, adi21 and 60611 repped this.
  17. What's that?

18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bad joke. Ignore it.

Jenks repped this.
  19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Over and under on Pulisic starting today?

20. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the rotation my guess is he’s on the bench to start. Maybe 50/50 depending on Larsen’s knee?

21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Sofascore does not have him in the 11

Likely, he'll be on the bench

22. Kevino

Kevino Member

United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Highly unlikely that he starts although he has done well past 2 games. If JBL is not 100% fit then I expect Guerreiro to start on the left. Sancho had some rest, so he should be expected to start.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    SanchoIsBetter repped this.