Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Love reading Scottish news. You'd swear they're articles from "The Onion" but they're real.

2. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I actually thought Bruun Larsen was pretty good (admittedly, an unusual occurrence). I'm just happy that CP did well enough in the game (and in the reviews) to keep all of the Negative Nancies at bay.

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    No matter how your overall scouting of how he played was, missing that open net could justify moving the kicker rating by a full point, just because had they failed to win it might have been the most notable moment of the game.

I thought they created a lot of opportunities with Sancho-Reus-Pulisic across that line and I'd like to see it used more. One fewer embarrassing defensive mistake per game and normal finishing and they would still have a chance for the league.

4. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burki seems to be reverting to his play of last season.

5. Vorian Atreides

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Sep 23, 2018
    :) Watched Pulisic tape several times. When he attacks, he needs to look to assist first. Several times he had guys in better position to score. He just needed to pass instead of forcing shot.:)

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was selfish because he got sick and tired that no one ever scored his crucial passes.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While this was my initial thought, I don’t feel as if it applies to every instance. There was one instance where he did have someone wide open on to his right but he opted to shoot instead of passing. I’m actually pleased with his decision to be more aggressive with his shot selection. He won’t make them all but should score more if he takes more attempts.

Watching CP play more selfishly in this regard got me to thinking about Clint Dempsey. Watching Duece on the NT would drive me mad on occasion because he squandered a number of goals by shooting while a teammate had a higher percentage shot if he had passed the ball. I recall LD being the potential recipient a number of times. Dempsey has 57 NT goals and I don’t know how many combined league goals to his name. So, I’m fine with CP takings some shots if he’s feeling it.

Just imagine if Landon had shot instead of laying it off to Ben Olsen in 2006. I would have left the stadium so much happier.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I agree. I thought it was one of BL's more effective performances. Popped in the right place a couple of times. It's always interesting to me how different folks see the players we don't fixate on. I am almost always shocked by the Sancho reviews here, for instance. To me that guy is clear class almost every time he's on the ball, irrespective of CP's play. (I also think CP tends to make him even better when they are able to play together like last game.) Guess that's what make footie an interesting game. Less stats, more subjective impressive.

striker and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one play bothers me to this day. Even the best make mistakes, I suppose. And he did make up for it against Algeria in 2010.

zanderbz repped this.
  10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been injured, hasn't had consistent minutes, but in flashes he's been fantastic and his play has won matches for LFC. Selling him at all, let alone for 40M, would be very stupid, soooo... looks like a bunch of BS to me.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  12. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FourFourTwo article suggesting that Eden Hazard will remain at Chelsea because the players have been told "there will be no departures from Stamford Bridge this summer." That could benefit CP a lot.

Gacm32, EruditeHobo and Winoman repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Winoman repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #23439 falvo, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Beautiful goal by Christian Pulisic for the US after only two or three minutes. He seems to be connecting nicely with Gyasi Zardes.

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

His 10th goal for the United States.

Gacm32, LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd he's injured

17. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Hopefully it’s not bad but he looked rather concerned as he left the field. Maybe just bummed to not be able to finish the game and will only be out a short period.

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I was sitting about 30 yards away when Pulisic went down and walked off... I got the “nothing serious but taking him off given the context of the situation” - I thought he could have continued and would have if the game meant something

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    In his 25th appearance. 48 goals until he nabs the record.

20. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid’s a dragster. Good for a few 1/4 miles and then needs a rebuild. It’s the fourth little muscle tweak this season. And he hasn’t been playing much either.

mschofield repped this.
  21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to that changing when he goes to Chelsea. Whatever it is, it seems like no one there ever gets hurt.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Dr.Phil repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On the cusp of making his Chelsea move, he needs time to heal and relax. The US should be seriously considering not calling him in for the Gold Cup. Another tweak and he misses pretty much all of Chelsea preseason. Even without another tweak, he's arriving several weeks late, so he's behind with a body that's calling for rest, and it snowballs.
    We've all seen it before. These persistent muscle issues are a sign of the sort of thing that can be dealt with through a summer rest, or can cost him a full season or two in catchup (which at Chelsea can be a career killer, so he's not where he should be in 2022).
    McKennie should already be crossed off the list of potential call-ins for this summer. The downside on Pulisic in a nats camp far outweighs the upside at this point.
    And from this point on, there really needs to be more thought put into calling Euro based players in for friendlies in the US. Save this difficult travel for WC Qs.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he already had 35 games under his belt this season then I'd agree that rest is needed, but he's gotten loads of rest already. He's not breaking down because he's played too much.

superdave, onefineesq, wsmaugham and 2 others repped this.
  25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually constantly going from not playing much to big mins is tougher on the body than playing consistently.