Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. I didnot say you stop learning, I said your brain stopps growing, biological fact, and so the possibility to hardwire your brains.
    Learning is something different.

superdave repped this.
  2. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Pretty sure he's got that one accomplished.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23403 EruditeHobo, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    We’ll see. Dropped points in 5 of 9 2019 matches, still have Thursday football (which is not good for league placement), and Arsenal have easier remaining schedule... not super positive signs in this regard.

Big match today, 3 points are crucial at this stage.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This is not the current understanding of Neuroplasticity, far as I can tell. (having just been through a bit of PT with a parent who had a small stroke). Not that it has anything significant to add to the discussion of footie learning, from what the docs explained to me, rewiring of/increasing the number of active/effect neural pathways can happen at any age, although it gets markedly more difficult the older we get.

So, the brain does not get "bigger" but it seems it can create/repurpose some of the "wiring" that exists in the brain, even reclaiming unused wire.

Ok, enough of my OT contributions for today. Go McHead!

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Sarri ball doesn't seem that effective.

Chelsea - 68% possession, 5 shots on goal, ZERO goal scored
    Everton - 32% possession, 8 shots on target, TWO goals scored

Simeone would do wonders for this team.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have hope for him on longer shots. He does nice corners and free kicks with pace so no reason he couldn't him some better outside shots. I think he's just a assist first guy but if he ever gets a three game streak of a few goals especially outside shots for goals a lightbulb may go off. It would actually help his assists also as defenders would be kept guessing more.

8. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Sounds pretty spot on overall. CP
    got what he deserved. Not sure if Sancho should quite get a 2 when he kind of sleepwalked through the first 20 minutes or so. But overall, not bad.

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So would lots of managers that are currently at much better jobs and would never leave to manage Chelsea.

Like I said, going to be a really tough road for them to get CL next season... and if they finish 6th and can't win EL, they might not be back in CL for awhile.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not to do with CP one way or another, but Sancho is crazy-talented.

11. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    How did Bruun Larsen get a 3? I thought he was pretty poor all game. Should've swapped his and CP's ratings.

12. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Meh...

We aren’t stats. I learned Spanish at 30 years old and am now fluent. Pulisic can and will keep learning improving with time and the necessary hard work.

Winoman and shnaggletooth repped this.
  13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I would love to have your clairvoyance regarding human psyche.

14. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    To take just one contradicting example, surgeons learn brand-new, extremely complex skills in their 20's and 30's (and beyond), and if they didn't or couldn't, we'd be f%&ed.

It's tougher when one is an adult to easily learn new stuff, partly because of adult self-doubts that children haven't yet accumulated, but as you know from personal experience, it's always possible to learn new things well into adulthood. The "neuroplasticity" nonsense is as much quackery as Freudian/Jungian psychoanalytic theory.

As far as Pulisic is concerned, I hope he wants to learn Donovan-style "kick and chase the ball into open space" if he wants to go beyond just fancy ball-dribbling into a dead-end of defenders.

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm old as hell, and these forums have taught me that using the ignore feature is a good thing. I had never used it before in decades online. So you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  16. Mmmm, I would call that honing the skills developed before, like van Persie and Bergkamp by relentless repetition at Arsenal honed their skills developed at the respective academies of Feyenoord and Ajax.

superdave repped this.
  17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why bury your head in the sand? You're not like getting harassed or whatever, right?

Either way... he didn't say people stop learning at 21.

18. :DBy me, every time he types "defender" my alert wakes me up and I'm on his tail.
    But I also have juicy news and interesting posts, so he's toggling between stalking fear and curiosity:ROFLMAO:

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that "neuroplasticity" stuff is a total crock.

We know that babies can babble sounds that are completely alien to any currently-used language as they learn to speak. And we know that as they develop, their neurons are firing and forming connections faster than at any other point in their lives.

We know that, when we get older, we find it harder to make those new connections, and eventually we start to lose some of them.

The trope that the brain develops and then metaphorically "crystalizes" at 21 is perhaps an oversimplification/wrong, but the general idea is not wrong.

orcrist repped this.
  20. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    I have a feeling that this isn't going to be an issue.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Again, I'm just coming to this from a dude talking to his Dad's docs post stroke, but they have actual, you know, MRI brain scans that show areas of activity. I guess if the MRIs are a crock (and know that wan't you) and the reading of brain activity is not what docs say it is, maybe.

But assuming that folks who, say, lose speech ability due to stroke damage to an area of the brain then regain it by "rewiring" other areas of the brain (which is how the docs explained to me how my dad regained some of his verbal skills that were lost in a recent-mini stroke) it has to suggest there is a strong ability to "rewire" the brain (ie. what I call neuroplasticity, and it's totally possible I'm using the term imprecisely.)

On the other hand, if my pops re-gained his speech abilities due to the stroke-damaged part of the brain healing, or due to humors or speech fairies, then sure, maybe it's a crock...

shnaggletooth repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The brain is still a bit. ugly, wrinkly mystery to us. We know it stops growing in late puberty, that neurons start dying en masse in the early 20s, that connections keep forming later than thought before, and even that some neurons may get replaced by new ones into our 30s.* Otherwise, we just know it's a lump of mostly fats that consumes almost too much of our energy, and it's so big in us it basically ruins any chance for women to win in foot races, because they're forced to have the funny hips to pop out our mutant babies.

The thing about sports is that learning and practicing has to become second nature, so it's body memory that does stuff for you. We have no clue at what age that type of learning stops happening, or even if it's different for each person with some being able to learn it until much later in life. The "popular wisdom" is that if a player is 20 and he has not learned to trap a ball, weigh a cross, spot an open lane, control a ball in the dribble, or shoot on goal, then he's unlikely to ever learn them.

Reason why wingers & forwards are usually the end product by the time they're 23, once they have mastered the team part of the game. Midfielders/fullbacks have a longer maturation time, since to tackle, guard a ball, win a duel, you need to have mass and that is obtained only later in life. And DMs & center backs have the longest of all maturation times, since their skills are based mostly on team play and experience, plus the body mass angle. Many of the best CBs only achieve their prime in their very late 20s/30.

----
    * New studies hint that: a) we might grow new neurons all our lives; b) the quality of the neurons we spout is lower as we age; c) we don't get enough new ones to make up for the ones dying; d) the neurons in the hippocampus region don't get regenerated, so our memory does get worse and worse with no reprieve. Of course at this point it's all in the "we need more studies" stage.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-the-adult-brain-really-grow-new-neurons/

23. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't remember what I did last week, but can sit with my guitar and play and sing songs for 4 hrs. The brain is always capable if the spirit moves you.

shnaggletooth repped this.
  24. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a gut feeling from watching several games. I have no idea what's going on in his head.
    Phenomena: Can't get his feet out from underneath him. Stumbles when it comes to shooting.
    Judgement: He looks tired.
    Gut: what I did with the rest.
    Clairvoyance: you're scratching your ass right now...

25. On that note:

ShortyMac, superdave, russ and 6 others repped this.