Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He created much of the danger for BVB in the second half. But he's earned a reputation as a Zardes in the final third and that plays into everything he does.

Bruun Larsen did nothing but kick what would have been a 55 yard field goal on a clear chance from distance. Reus was useless until the final moments. Sancho was wasteful and easily as poor as Pulisic in the first half. But CP is the odd man out and the fans jump on him quicker than others.

It's great that he can make a fresh start for himself in England, but that huge price tag puts a lot of pressure on his shoulders. How he reacts to the move will make or break him IMO.

Tom Collingsworth and Zinkoff repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd bet he realizes his transfer fee is going to amplify the noise, and is in turn prepared to deal with all that stuff. And at least he has a refuge with U.S. fans. Unless he goes to MLS before hitting 30...the meltdowns would dwarf the current negativity.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I’ll add to that. His finishing needs improvement. But overall, he’s excellent.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He seems durable.

5. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    So he missed a sitter and some half chances. All of Dortmunds best players did likewise today. The main takeaway from today’s game is his dribbling (and confidence) look to be almost completely back on track. Ignore the noise

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

They won't be laughing when Pulisic and Chelsea walk all over them in CL games.

7. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is more or less what I saw. He certainly could have done better and is capable of doing so.

IMO, he took some chances and they didn’t payoff this time.

Also, Rues’ goal was pure class.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he and Sancho put a lot of pressure on Hertha in the 2nd half.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sancho recently was interviewed saying something like he looks up to CP...i'm assuming that means they are pretty tight - Sancho probably feels bad that so many are turning on his teammate that he knows doesnt deserve it and that he basically took his spot from for a while.....

I'm not a huge fan of favre - but there's a reason CP was not subbed off in this one - and that BVB ended up winning the game.

other thoughts:
    1. the field was a mess - players slopping and sliding all over the field...had something to do with some of the misses imo

2. BVB had over 20 shots in the game - if they keep up this combo of sancho, reus, CP - that will continue....and cp will rack up goals/assists.

3. CP needs to work on shooting...especially from more than 10 yards out.

4. CP's decison making was off in this game but he still managed to wreak havoc...he hasn't been playing a ton ...hopefully it is because he is young and that will improve....and he can shake off the "rust" THAT SAID he is still def an overall positive contributor for the team despite questionable decision-making at times.

5. CP was far from worst on the field - for one, not seeing what everyone sees in weigl....BVB will be lucky if they can sell him for a good amount and they should do it asap.

6. witsel is a key player for BVB.

7 BVB and CP were straight gassed at the end of the game - great effort considering to score 3 in an away game.

8. put a good physiccally imposing forward on this team and watch out - wouldve loved to see jozy playing on a team like this....

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows when Chelsea will be back in the CL? Not gonna be next season.

Dr.Phil and striker repped this.
  11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    All true, but his finishing was atrocious today. His shots were weak. And in at least one chance that I remember he probably could've passed the ball for a better opportunity (likely goal). He had pretty much a sitter, but I think was wrong-footed in that the timing of his run meant he couldn't make optimal contact on the ball. Not sure that makes sense, but sometimes you're standing on the foot you want to use just because you're in run mode. Still, it looked bad.

Overall he was not as bad as some make out. He was not really involved in the first half, but was very involved in the second. Unfortunately his end product in several instances detracted from his overall play. He put himself in great positions, but did not deliver, and looked bad in trying to deliver.

Vorian Atreides repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was involved in one play that was a shocking miss. Either it’s shocking that he missed the frame, or it’s shocking the ref missed a foul. I couldn’t tell which from the video.

He was bad. In particular, he looked out of sync with his teammates the first hour or so, and then looked like he was trying to do too much the last half hour; definitely pressing.

He needs a change of scenery.

As for Sancho...he was outstanding in the last 25 yards, but mediocre further away. He didn’t combine with his teammates well at all.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I wouldn't be so sure....

14. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Yea looks like they are the favorites for europa right now

15. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lost my rep here.

There’s no team I actually like seeing him play for because he’s a depressing player to watch. He’s a better Zardes/worse Lukaku. No one enjoys that.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a jozy type forward - physically - would fit perfectly with all these small finesse attackers dortmund has.

jozy has disappointed for sure - i just wish he had a chance at some point to play with an attack like this version of dortmund that has a bunch of threats and knows how combine in the final 3rd...woulda been something to see....i presonally think he couldve risen to the occasion. on thos eepl squads he was the sole focus of the defenses he faced...on a team like bvb...the defense couldnt just cue on jozy they'd have to worry about eveyone else too....

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dortmund still have some defensive issues that need attention. They were lucky that PK was not called and got exposed a couple of other times.

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

What you talking about?

They still in the fight for 4th spot in EPL

They still got Europa to win

19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I said it before and I'll say it again. His finishing has to get up a notch by next year. At least he is taking shots and looking to shoot. And it's clear that he has to work on that. It is the next step in his development to become truly world class.

adam tash repped this.
  20. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    At what point do we say he just doesn’t have that ability? Let’s hold off on world class and work to becoming an above avg bundesliga winger first.

striker repped this.
  21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    when he is much older than 20-21 years old

22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m no apologist for CP, but o agree with this statement. Skills can be developed - you aren’t born with them (born with the apitiude). We still don’t know where his ceiling is on some of these skills- perhaps high enough, perhaps not.

23. Your brain develops until you reach about 21 age. After that it's the final product more or less.
    So up till around that age you can hard wire skills into your brain. After that it's maintenance and adding experience connecting to the hardwired skills.

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    BIG away game for Chelsea today.

WIN and they will move to 5th, tied with Arsenal for 4th on points. And they will only be 1 point behind Tottenham for 3rd.

At the rate that Tottenham had been dropping points recently, it could be Arsenal and Chelsea for 4th and 3rd. MU hot streak might also be coming to an end soon.

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Don't tell McBride and Klose that they stopped learning at 21.

russ and zanderbz repped this.