Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why? Who is he impressing (aside from us?)

To my mind the only thing he (we) should be concerned with is: Getting to August in England in peak condition. What is mostly likely to get him there in that condition is mostly a question for him/his trainers/Chelsea - but the idea that his rep matters at all, aside from to his Chelski coach, is just sports-bar feel-good talk.

If injuries have been an issue the longer he gets to rest the better chance that some chronic/nagging issues get a chance to fully heal.

It's one thing if he were looking for opportunities. But he knows what next year will look like. He should (and I'm sure is) concentrate on what puts him in the best spot to succeed then.

2. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    You don't get better at sports sitting on the bench. That's the big thing. You get better playing at a high level in real games for the most part. Practice only does so much when you're a professional at the top of the profession.

It's not about "impressing" it's about getting better.

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I want CP getting the title that is very much within their reach, and to play enough that it's clear he had a real role in it. If that's as the offensive sub lots of weeks, fine with me. I don't think we're in danger of an "overworked" season unless Sancho gets hurt and Favre starts to play CP 90 in every game because they can't create enough through only Reus.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That was their A-team against Bremen except for Puli x Sancho and the keeper. And Reus getting taken out early.

If you come from losing in that circumstance, when you were one of the key men in a team that otherwise has looked much superior to Bremen in league play, and you get benched for the coming league and Champions game, how do you think that's going to affect your morale?

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'm curious to see what happens when you put Sancho and Pulisic on the pitch together

Dr.Phil and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Probably cancel one another out.

It's a shame as I was hoping Pulisic might light up the season. He started the season really well. I just hope he finishes it with some goals/great performances. i want him to be 1 of the key guys fans look back upon for having delivered them the title.

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Not much, if I scored a wonder goal in extra time. My confidence would be OK and I certainly wouldn't blame a shootout loss on my own shortcomings.

wsmaugham and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So, he's going to "get better" by playing 120 mid-week minutes and then starting on the weekend?

Color me dubious.

I've watched a lot more players burn out or get injured than I have lose a career trajectory due a few months as a super-sub.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    On Chelsea forums there's talk of Puli being given the keys to the car in Chelsea: Hazard is gone, but CHO is getting promoted to the first team, Pedro just signed a contract extension, and Willian is about to sign a new deal with the blues.

Since they'll be stocked at wing but in need of a playmaker/CAM, some think that will be the role given to our guy.

Example:

https://www.theshedend.com/topic/32333-christian-pulisic-official/?page=14

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    where's Hazard going?

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  12. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's life. Truth is, the winter windows comes with W for wondering.

The real deals happen in the summer, for the most part.

But Hazard would fit like a glove with Real, IMO. They need a guy like him bad.

14. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has been the question from the beginning of this saga. Sancho left, CP right and interchanging repeatedly. Favre seems to be avoiding that strategy.

15. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Its almost like he got frustrated with the result the one time he tried it and is unwilling to go back to it. I cant remember the match but Sancho and Pulisic switched back and forth well but defensively their were liabilities. I think he started going with Larsen thereafter.

lmorin repped this.
  16. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was against Atleti where Sancho and CP stunk up the place. But I wish he’d try it again.

MtnGardener repped this.
  17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

And Larsen now finds himself on the bench. It was head scratching that Larsen continues to get repeated starts when he was average at best.

18. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Hopefully they're waiting to unleash it deeper in CL

19. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Dortmund-Bremen Pokal game the Kicker ratings put Reus and Götze as the best players with a 2.0 and 2.5. Puli near in middle with a 3.5 rating.

20. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I presume this means that without the brilliant goal he would have gotten a 5? I really hate Kicker. I never feel like I watched the same match.

HScoach13 and wsmaugham repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    _Any_ media outlet inflates the local boys at the cost of the foreigners.

It's the same in England, France and the USA. It's human nature.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Reus is German and REALLY good. Nice combination in the BL!

russ repped this.
  23. Nah, we Dutch inflate furriners, especially if they're Yanks;)

And then sell them with a huge profit:D

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #22624 LouisianaViking07/09, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2019
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/i-look...-by-pulisic-success/6ga5rnbsw5pk1wayk1w8ecruw

"The club had shown with a player like Christian Pulisic that they were going in the right way, playing youngsters and giving them a chance. He came from the same situation as me, leaving his family behind," Sancho told ESPN.

"He was so young, and he was brave enough. America is a lot further away than England and he's taken a bigger step than I have done. How he's handled that, what he does on the pitch, his mentality [towards] football, it's just crazy. The passion he has. I admire him."

25. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Looks like Reus is out tomorrow and Jadon is not 100%.