The future of the soccer temple: New Stadium or revamp the "KUIP"?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Today building giant BAM announced their plan for the revamping of the "KUIP".
    It will cost around 185 million euro's and ups the seats to 65 000.
    It also retains large parts of the old stadium. (http://www.fr12.nl/nieuws/24845-revolutionair-plan-bam-van-185-miljoen-euro.html ).

So now we have 4 plans, if I kept track of all of them.

I wonder what this one does to the fact that Feyenoord needs to be in complete control of all revenues generated in the stadium. At the moment that isnot the case and Feyenoord is a renter of the stadium. What does change in that respect with any revamping plan?

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How can a club that is precarious financial situation come up with any money to build and control their own stadium? I don't think it can be done and the team will continue to be a renter.

3. Well, the first plan, that was shot down by the City council, had a price tag of about 350 million with guarantee needed from the City for about 165 millions. So I guess at least the 180 million is somewhere available.
    End of this month the candidates with plans must have come forward. After that date the plans are going to be evaluated. Many builders are keen to be in the picture for this stadium.
    The stadium will be built, no question about it. The only question is new or revamp.

About the build plans. I really donot get how they see a third layer. I get fear of height on the second ring because of the steepness already. How steep is that 3d ring going to be?

4. The AD Sportwereld has the news that both supporters and Feyenoord and the politicians are enthusiastic about the BAM proposal.

5. It seems that the choice is now between the plans of "Red de Kuip" and the "BAM consortium"

6. Voetbal International had an article about the battle of the "Kuip"-proposals.

It said that Feyenoord is a phenomenom, as even after the last title has been 15 years ago, we still are in the top of Europe when it comes to the appeal to the public.
    In the UEFA rating we are about number 134, but when it comes to the best attended clubs we are in place 19. VI also mentioned, that when you eliminate the CL-clubs of that list we even would be number 10.
    Research of among others Hypercube show that Feyenoord must be able to fill the stands with 70 000 supporters.

7. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I rather like the steep stands of the "Red de Kuip" plan. Reminds me a bit of the Bernabeu.

8. Well, this week the dice will be cast. "De Telegraaf" tried to derail the process by publishing an article about the Volker Wessel Stevin new stadium option that all of a sudden would cost more than a 100 million less and no guarentees needed from the local authorities.

I donot like steep terrasses, as I'm a vertigo person:(

9. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  10. I wonder if people should be ordered to put in ear plugs when visiting the "Kuip XL". The noise now is already deafening, let alone with another 20 000 extra fans.
    Hopefully BAM keeps the "thrilling vibrating" experience alive, when the stands are literally shaking when the fans jump up and down.

11. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Ok, if the rumours turn out to be true, after the World Cup we can pay in cash for the new stadium, but we have to field our youth team.

13. If the political situation gets more heated up and the pressure on FIFA to give up Russia's WC 2018 starts rolling, we will be ready with the revamped "Kuip":)

Orange14 repped this.