The Future of Gol TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by vevo5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Not sure if this was already mentioned or not but it seems like play.goltv.tv is behind a paywall now, instead of Uruguayan and Ecuadorian games being free. Looks like you can do a Uruguayan subscription or Ecuadorian subscription for $9.90 each a month.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Livesoccertv also has the Peru -Ecuador friendly listed for GOLTV Play,

3. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, I'm well aware of that but im not paying 10 bucks for that sh!t :D

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    The game is now listed on the GOL-TV channel. But beINSports has it listed as well. One of them is going to drop it (and I don't think it will be GOL-TV).

Here is a list of all Int'l Friendlies available in the US over the next 6 days:

http://soccertvblog.com/friendlies-tv/

SA

5. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    beINSports have officially dropped the Peru vs Ecuador friendly so it's officially only on GOL-TV.

beINSports have also dropped both Chile friendlies (Friday/Tuesday) they had listed. Not sure where they went if anywhere...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

6. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Gol TV commentators on Sporting v Porto game just mentioned that Gol TV will be showing the Dutch Cup starting with quarterfinals, which I believe are the week after next.

Redbullsnation2012, EvanJ and daniloni repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_KNVB_Cup says the Quarterfinals will be one on Tuesday January 22, two on January 23, and one on January 24. They will be at 20:45 CET except for the first January 23 game at 18:30 CET, allowing one channel to show all of them. FC Twente Enschede is the only lower level club left (they were relegated last season), and they will host Willem II in the first January 23 game.

8. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    No Paulista games on GolTV this weekend, anyone know if their Brazilian rights expired?

9. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Check out @Pitacodogringo’s Tweet:

10. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in Rio years ago (I chased a Brazilian girl who I met in Boston) and fell in love with Brazilian futebol...specifically Vasco de Gama. Goltv has been a great source for the Beautiful Game from Brasil. Not seeing it this past weekend forced me to get the Brazil package from Sling TV and watch games on PFC...in boxed, Standard Def, ugh. And it’s $25/month. Highway robbery. My trial ends tomorrow. I’m torn. I even emailed Goltv but got no response. We shall see.

11. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #736 daniloni, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  12. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    There are rumors that the deal with Fanhero was eventually rejected by the Brazilian soccer federation but that they are negotiating with a different company.

13. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I had some email exchanges last year with Jon Cotterill to ask why he had disappeared from the English commentary on GolTV. He said that Globo was heavily cost-cutting and basically doubling up with the producers who spoke English--the guys were producing and providing the commentary. So, it's not a surprise that Globo stopped providing English commentary options as part of the rights package. At the same time, I would think Gol could use their announcers. The state championships are less exciting for many people compared with the national league but I would think that Gol might have English feeds for the Portuguese leagues. Also, it seems like Gol is all in with Ecaudor, which is great but not at the expense of a higher quality Brazilian option.

BTW I have no idea who is responsible for the English commentary choices for BeIN's Libertadores coverage but Cotterill seems to be the main announcer. All of the commentary teams have Bra Portuguese accents, so Gol is either getting a feed from Brazil or CONMEBOL has hired Brazil-based English commentary teams.

@teamitup: you might look into IPTV. I let my sub lapse because I wasn't watching enough and I can't go with a service that does not have DVR of some kind given my general viewing times. But there are many IPTV options that have SporTV, Globo, and PFC. The downside is that SporTV and PFC only show full games during live broadcasts so all replays are edited to 30 or 60 minutes. The virus that is 90in60 or 90in30 has spread...

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  14. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would be great if Fanatiz picks up Brazil rights.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it would make more sense for beIN Sports to get some Brazilian matches since they now have the Libertadores.

16. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They had the Brazilian Cup but only on connect if I recall correctly

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do remember that.
    I think a couple matches actually ended up on actual television.

18. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes I’m not sure if the final was ever showed on TV

19. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed GolTv before I posted about Brazilian soccer wondering if the days of The Beautiful Game were over on GolTv. Well, they just emailed this back after I asked about showing the State Championships and Brasileiro:

Hi Ryan, we are currently in negotiations.

Hopefully we'll have news soon!

Goal hug!

So there’s that!! Sounds like good news.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  21. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GolTV is better than nothing, of course, but I’d prefer an option that allows more than one game at a time and doesn’t force programming choices between Brazil and late Portugal games. Fanatiz would be ideal. They did show Brasileiro games for Canada last season.

22. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean force programming choices? They do show games on delay, like BeIN does sometimes. GolTv has had Ecuadorian, Uruguayan, Brazilian, Portuguese, and Mexico’s Ascenso leagues for a couple of years now. That’s pretty damn good for a “channel” that has seeemingly been on the brink of bankruptcy...at least according to BS posters. I’ve stuck by GolTv for years and will continue to do so as long as they keep things moving along, (i.e. picking up Scottish Cup and other Cup matches at times to fill some weekday slots).

23. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean GolTV is a linear channel with almost no online presence for overflow games (notwithstanding the half-baked, to put it in flattering terms, GolTV play) and can therefore show only one live event at a time. Last May they didn’t show a crucial Sporting-Benfica live because they were showing Nacional clinch the Uruguayan apertura. There are many examples of this. I’m quite aware of GolTV’s programming. Like many others here, I watch almost exclusively live. It’s 2019, there should be an online platform where rights holders can show all their games live.

24. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand. There will always be glitches but I know we’re thankful for the ongoing presence and, albeit slow at times, growth of GolTV.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is why I think maybe beIN sports may come into play.

They basically mentioned in a recent interview that they are willing to trade some of their properties for another Network's properties that has overflow problems on their linear channels.