The Future of Gol TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by vevo5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Keep in mind that the deal isn't just for the US market. Not sure how widespread GOL-TV is in South America (beyond Uruguay) but the rights are likely for their full coverage zone. Yes, its still the Venezuelan League but I think there a lot of South American players in that league that could bring eyeballs in the corresponding South American countries.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nope.

This deal does not even make sense even taking into consideration it may be the rights throughout all of South America.

People are not clamoring to see the Venezuelan League outside of Caracas and Maracaibo.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't think of many.

4. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #629 daniloni, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    I think $20 million is for all of Latin America an the U.S. but also for two years. Additionally, I believe it includes the rights to Venezuelan national team friendlies. What should be highlighted is that these are both foreign and domestic rights. In other words, GolTV has the exclusive rights to these games in Venezuela itself. They're not paying $20 million to show Venezuelan league games in the USA.

5. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless, 20 mil is way to much.

6. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got an email from Fubo that they will not be showing the GolTV Spanish Bundesliga games because the sublicensed from Fox to GolTV did not include digital transmission rights. Super lame given that the only reason i presently subscribe to Fubo is to get GolTV in HD (since I have the BeINs through DirecTV and NGSN has rendered BenficaTV superfluous).

7. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Not if you have premium sports it 10 a month or 100 per season for benfica channel is 7 a month or 70 per season

8. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #633 daniloni, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    We were talking about SporTV and BenficaTV specifically on FuboTV. BenficaTV is available as part of the basic FuboTV subscription and SporTV requires a special package which is $10 per month extra. The annual subscription which includes SporTV is $162 per year. An annual subscription to basic FuboTV which includes both BeIN channels, BenficaTV and GolTV (minus the Bundesliga games) is $66.

moutinho777 repped this.
  9. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    i know i was just stating another service for the channels thats all thanks for that info though much appreciated

10. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else not have GolTV show up on their FuboTV today?

11. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the Bundesliga? Everyone. That was covered by an email from Fubo as well as earlier in this thread. The Fox sublicense to GolTV did not include digital rights, so Fubo cannot show the games.

12. tideman

tideman Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #637 tideman, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Yeah, looks like both the english and spanish channels have been removed from the channels selection on their website and the Roku app (which is what I had used).

UPDATE - This was posted by Fubo:

The issue with Gol TV is caused by the fact that we had to shut down the stream due to Bundesliga matches being played. Fox Sports have acquired the US rights for the German league and digital rights prohibit the streaming of Bundesliga matches on other platforms than foxsoccer2go :http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/ :

Gol TV will be back online starting 4pm EST.

Thanks for understanding and apologies for the inconvenience!

13. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It never came back.

14. hwkn

hwkn Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is there a free preview of Gol tv on Uverse going on now?(i've had the channel the last few days even though I don't have the package that it's on).

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to be a free Spanish package preview right now.

16. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My grandparents have at&t and every once in a while they get fs+ and gol tv. I don't know why.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  17. brunod14

brunod14 New Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    I had tried watch the Boca and River matches but it isnt available on GolTV or other sports channel. However the others matches are available on TyC Sports USA. What happened? It is very unusual.
    Also, I would like know if some sport channel will broadcast the Boca and River matches or the Argentine League, in the US.

18. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GolTV hasn't had Boca or River for a while. TyC shows all games (obviously taking into account that some games conflict so they have to choose) other than Boca or River. Apparently Boca and River rights are sold separately. (TyC also shows some Nacional B and Primera B matches -- Nacional B is new on TyC as of this year.) NGSN was a streaming service that used to show all Argentine primera matches in both English and Spanish. However, they "temporarily" suspended service a few days ago (see separate thread on the topic.) Also, last year Futbol Para Todos put all Argentine primera games on YouTube, without geographic restrictions. With the new government in place in Argentina, it doesn't appear that is the case anymore. However, I found success in going to the website of the channel showing the game in Argentina. Oftentimes the channel has a livestream on YouTube. For instance, for the Superclásico a few weeks ago, I found an (official) livestream of the America 2 channel and the game was available through that without a geoblock. (I found the stream for my dad, as for myself NGSN was still in business.) Good luck!

19. Eskapeesto

Eskapeesto Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I appreciate the fact that any coverage is better than no coverage but it's rather disappointing to have the Italian, Portuguese, and Scottish cup finals being broadcast in SD in 2016. It's borderline unwatchable.

From what I've read on the DBS forum, it doesn't sound like DirecTV has any plans to add GolTV HD - which I know is available to some.

20. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'm watching Gol TV through DirecTV's En Espanol package. I've noticed two kinds of tech problems lately and am trying to figure out if the problem is with my DVR and GolTV or with the channel more generally. These problems happened during Paulista and Carioca state tournament games, during week 1 of the Brasileiro, and during Nacional (URU) matches:

1. The screen goes black for 1-3 seconds and then picks up again (missing the time when the screen goes black).
    2. The colors on the screen get very muted and there are lines across the screen. This lasts 3-5 seconds. Sometimes this problem is followed by problem 1 described above but usually the color correction sorts itself out.

I don't have this problem with any other channels so it's not my HDTV. Does anyone else have these problems with Gol? I don't watch anything else on the channel so I can't compare other than Venezuelan playoffs but the problem started after January since I didn't notice it with Nacional games last semester nor during Brasil league games last season.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May be digital issues. Digital only has "on" and "off". If the signal is too weak, it's "off". So if the connection they are using isn't great, there may be brief outages. My best guess, anyway.

22. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'm hoping GolTV can sub-license some of these Portugal games. The league is monopolizing their schedule. This weekend, they are only showing 2 games from Brazil, skipping Flu-Vasco (which I know is less enticing given the standings but still a match with two big clubs) and the Nacional-Danubio game isn't shown either.

23. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You know me, danielmak, I'm fine with the Liga NOS getting heavy playtime on GOL TV :) I would've loved to have the channel broadcast in HD on DirecTV but something is better than nothing...

24. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'd been meaning to praise GOL TV for its Liga NOS coverage; it's at the level that NGSN offered a couple of years ago when it started out.

25. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i havent kept up with GolTV in a while--they were really hit hard when BeIn entered the scene and stole most of their thunder (and their commentators!). It also doesn't help that, at least on Fios, they are not located next to the other big soccer stations but rather buried amidst the standard def channels somewhere next to horse racing. I know most of their soccer coverage now revolves around Brazil,Uruguay, and Portugal.
    Question: do they still show Colombian soccer on GolTV?