The Future of Gol TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by vevo5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got an email from Fubo that GolTV "Spanish" is sublicensing some Bundesliga from Fox. They're showing three games in the first weekend. I'm guessing the English language track will be silent or mirror the Spanish during these games.

2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this means less coverage of Tier 3 La Liga teams on Bein Espanol cause it would be a shame if they were to cut even more Italian Serie A games than they already do in order to make room for Bundesliga. I mean I understand why they would want to cover the Big 2 + Atletico , Sevilla, Valencia, and Villareal, but once you start to televise the likes of Getafe, Rayo Vallecano, Eibar etc. games on a regular basis you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the Bundesliga games that Fox will sub contract out to Bein will be quality matches. I suspect most likely Fox would keep the matches everyone wants to see for themselves.

3. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if GolTV goes all Spanish now? It's already on Spanish tiers on the providers that still offer it. It can't show Bundesliga in English and I can't imagine there's enough English speaking interest in the Uruguayan league or the Mexican second tier to justify the expense. (Probably not enough internet even in the Brazilian league.)

4. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've sublicensed the games to GolTV (the previous rightsholder), not to BeIN.

5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOps :oops: thanks for the heads up.....

6. Eskapeesto

Eskapeesto Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Although it'll be in crappy SD, those of us without Fox Soccer Plus can watch Werder Bremen (Aron Johansson's new club) vs. Schalke. 8/15, 9:30AM EST.

7. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have Fubo, it's HD and available on many devices. It's also still available in HD on some carriers (including some time warner markets and UVerse).

8. Eskapeesto

Eskapeesto Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Yeah, GolTV in HD is one of the few soccer-related things DirecTV is lacking. Fubo looks like a good deal for "cord-cutters" or whoever doesn't have access to the beIN networks.

9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want Buli, you might as well just bite the bullet and sign up for a year of FS2Go for $100.

10. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anyone know if Benfica will be on goltv, the home matches this season?

11. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to ask if GolTV was in HD on FuboTV. What leagues are on the SportTV Americas station? I couldn't find much about that station online.

12. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SporTV station is in Portuguese and plays Portuguese league games (first and second tier) and news shows. It costs about $15 per month extra just to have this channel. Given that almost all Portuguese games (at least those featuring the big 3 teams) are available through NGSN, I was never tempted to sign up for this channel.

13. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #613 teamitup76, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    GolTV is in HD on KlowdTV...for $8/month you get both BeIn Sports (ENG/SPA) and both GolTV channels

Combine that with NGSN and my other apps, (MyESPN, NBCSN, Univision Deportes and FoxSportsGo), and the cord has definitely been cut!

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  14. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    How do you cut the cord and have NBCSN? I thought was impossible.

15. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably borrows accounts from people that pay.

teamitup76 repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like GolTv will have some of the same games FS 2 will have--specifically the Gladbach-Dortmund game. Looks pretty much like they will have what they had before. And that's odd....

17. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The news releases said Spanish only, although GolTV doesn't say anything about that on its own site. So it's similar to the sublicensing agreement fox has with ESPN with regard to champions league. Note that the GolTV games are different from the games on Fox Deportes.

18. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly right. My buddies who have families still rock the cable. I'm lucky they pass along their account info!!

19. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently yesterday they (GolTV) got the rights to the Venezuelan league as of 2016.

20. 210597

210597 Member

Nov 1, 2003
    Munich
    Those GOLTV Bundesliga games will definitely be Spanish-language only. Why FOX would agree to that I don't know - it'll certainly be more appealing for those who are on the fence and that can get GOLTV Espanol on the cheap to rely on a combination of FS1, FS2 and GOLTV in Spanish than to shell out for FS+. But in the end it means more Buli on the box and that's a good thing!

21. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't GOLTV english & Spanish identical except for the audio? Which would mean that the BL games would be on the English channel by default, unless they are blocked in some way?

22. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I guess this is the route they are going to just load up on more south american leagues but why not pay the $1 plus transmission fees for Belgian, Portuguese, Ukranaian etc leagues. There are enough decent clubs in those leagues to showcase each week.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  23. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming this allows them to cut costs by showing the same thing in the USA and Latin america. The only one of those leagues that would have any interest in Latin America is Portugal, and those rights (at least last year) were held by DirecTV. I'm guessing that they're going to go Spanish only too. There's a sizable Venezuelan community in the USA but I thought they were more into baseball. In Latin America they have the rights to the Greek League and Serie B. Also Italian cup (which BeIN shows here) and Peruvian league (which is shown here by Perú Mágico.) Obviously Venezuelan and Bundesliga in Spanish isn't what's going to revive GolTV. I'm guessing they're just in survival mode until they see what happens with Conmebol rights (Libertadores, Sudamericana, WC qualifiers, Copa America) which could be a game changer for them.

24. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Per soccertvblogs tweet from last week this deal was worth $20 million. That's a hell of a lot of money for the Venezuelan league. I assume that figure is for North and South American rights for all the Gol TV channels. I'm happy to plead ignorance on this kind of knowledge, but is there a large domestic league viewing Venezuelan diaspora here in the U.S???

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/....com&utm_campaign=buffer#.VcOZHehi-Yk.twitter

25. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $20 mil for the Venezuelan league! What are they smoking at gol tv? They could've used that money to get a lower european league.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.