The Fresno USL Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Knave, May 4, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm wagering Yallop will be their next coach! Just a hunch....

CenCalFooty repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's odd that Fuego not involved.

3. CenCalFooty

CenCalFooty Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    They will be working together I believe. USL team name rumors are Fresno FC, nickname Fuego. Fresno Bee article does mention a "twist" on the name. They also mention nickname and not team name a few times. Im cautiously optomistic.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5 falvo, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. CenCalFooty

CenCalFooty Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    We have some talent this year that I hope signs with USL next year. Sergi Nus is a stud. Clemson keeper is a beast from valencia youth. Milton blanco can provide some pro experience.

I have faith the Fuego name and Fire squad wont be boxed out of this

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who are the ownership group going to be?

7. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle II moving to Tacoma with Soccer specific stadium next year. Portland next to Boise? Swope Parks needs the same move to Omaha or Wichita.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #9 falvo, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Will Tacoma be named the Stars?

[​IMG]

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still hoping for Topeka Benfica.

Sandon Mibut and hipityhop repped this.
  10. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    As a T2 season ticket holder I hope not. If we weren't such a dire team on the field and a bit of promotion we could outdraw Bethlehem Steel as the best supported MLS reserve team. I don't think the T2 game in Boise last year was a much of a success, as there are no "out of market games" this season. Lane United of Eugene Oregon should be joining the USL in a few years when they finish building their Soccer Specific stadium (would have been a converted baseball stadium like Portland if it wasn't for some kids burning down the 90 year old civic stadium)

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What will be the name of the new Fresno team and what will happen to the Fuego?

12. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Highly doubtful, given the Stars already exist and (to my knowledge) are not associated with the Sounders or Tacoma Rainiers baseball team. Ironically, the Tacoma Stars play in Kent, a suburb more closely identified with Seattle than Tacoma. Personally, I would prefer seeing the Tacoma Tide name resurrected instead of Tacoma FC or FC Tacoma, but do not expect that to happen.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's only fitting that here we are in the Fresno thread, and nobody wants to talk about Fresno.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #15 falvo, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    What else really is there to talk about? There are no games on the horizon, players signed or assistant coaches named. We don't even know much about their owners as of yet. All we know is Frank Yallop might be their head coach.

CenCalFooty repped this.
  15. CenCalFooty

CenCalFooty Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    Fuego will exist in PDL still I believe.
    Im sure we will know more come july. I think an announcment was going to be made then

16. CenCalFooty

CenCalFooty Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    damn it if it wasnt true.. I better be thin skinned because Im sure Fresno is going to take a lot of shit from the folk in the mega city that is Sacramento.

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Actually, I'm closer to the mega city of Reno than Sacramento.

At any rate, people outside California don't really see any difference between Sacramento and Fresno. Indeed, some people down in LA are rather similar in that regard.

As for me, I think Fresno should be discussed and Tacoma should get its own damn thread.

Also, it's my goal to post this entire series so it populates the video section of this board.

CenCalFooty repped this.
  18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought Frank would be named coach as opposed to GM. I wish him well.

20. flyfresno

flyfresno Member

Fresno Fuego
    Apr 2, 2017
    Fresno, Minneapolis
    This is a great selection, and we are certainly optimistic that the new head coach will be equally amazing. However, the real announcement we are all holding our breath for is about where the team will play. There will likely be two separate announcements dealing this topic: one announcing where the team will play for the next two seasons, and one about where they will end up permanently.

Rumors are currently leaning toward Fresno State as a temporary venue until a soccer-specific stadium can be built, but the downtown stadium (Chukchansi Park) is still in the mix. Most of the soccer culture in Fresno is currently centered around Downtown Fresno, where the Fuego and Freeze currently play (in a baseball stadium, for those who don't already know). While the "Chuck" is not the *most* ideal venue for two main reasons (schedule conflicts with the Grizzlies and the high cost of converting the field from baseball to soccer), playing there would certainly allow that culture to continue.

While current Fresno soccer fans are certainly a bit anxious about the selection of a temporary home, the location of the team's permanent home is, of course, an even more exciting aspect. As we have seen around the country, young professionals make up the backbone of most supporter groups and fan bases, and, owing to all the new tech jobs and urban housing being added downtown, that area is emerging as the preferred home for those sorts of fans to live and work (sort of like Midtown Sac). Add in all the new breweries, bars, and restaurants, and the area just makes sense for building a new stadium (the one major hurdle, besides funding, would be finding land, but there are certainly many parcels with businesses in non-historic buildings and parking lots that could be bought out and relocated). Certainly, most Fresno soccer fans would love to see the new team continue to be a part of that culture.

All that said, quite a few current Fuego fans are anxious that the owners will opt for a wide-open piece of land in Madera or out past Clovis instead of something within or near to downtown, and, just like Republic fans were worried about the possibility of their stadium being built in Elk Grove, many Fresno soccer fans are concerned that such a move would harm the urban soccer culture that they have been building for the last 10+ years. We'll see what happens...

21. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

I just checked this thread for the first time. I am a long time San Jose Earthquakes fan (going back to the NASL days of the 1970s) who now lives in Clovis. I would agree that a soccer specific stadium would be great in downtown Fresno. It's fun to go to Chukchansi Park, despite it's limitations for soccer, but it would be so nice to have a real soccer stadium in the same vicinity. I really hope that works out.

22. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are there any good spots for a soccer stadium downtown?

flyfresno repped this.
  23. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    There are plenty of places for a soccer stadium in downtown Fresno. The area around Chukchansi Park would be one and that is right next to the main part of downtown (west side). There are quite a few old industrial sites in downtown Fresno that are either unused or not used for their original purpose any longer. Some are being developed into residential lofts, but I would assume that for the right money, some land could be made available for a soccer stadium. Right now, downtown Fresno is potentially on the cusp of a decent urban renewal effort, so a soccer stadium would seem to be a good fit.

flyfresno repped this.
  24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I was looking at Google maps and wondering about those industrial areas.

A new soccer stadium could become the anchor in a neighborhood of residential lofts. The projects really aren't mutually exclusive. Indeed, they could work really well together.