The Freddy Adu catchall thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So "England" is the only place in Europe?

Zak1FCK repped this.
  2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    reading through this thread, it would seem most people are speculating on his ability to play in the championship, what his wages in the championship would be, or his ability to gain a WP.

^ none of those things matter because he doesn't/won't qualify for a WP

I did notice the small blurb about "mild" interest from turkey but that hardly seems thread worthy

3. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but we don't do general speculation threads here in YA, preferring instead threads based on reputable sourced rumors. We're keeping an eye on this one for now.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Internationally-established does, if not for his talent. Freddy's really famous.

Again, not saying that he'll get a work permit or even come close. But Blackpool, if they were trying to actually sign him (which doesn't really appear to be the case regardless), could be cheeky and try to play up his name to get him one.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't have a manager, he has a pimp. An especially heartless pimp.

How else to explain Freddy wasting his time in England, where there's NO CHANCE he'll get a work permit?????

6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I suspect he is there to stay fit and to train in a professional soccer environment and his old friend Barry Ferguson was happy to oblige him

I thought I read they were friends, maybe I didn't... either way it could just be a professional courtesy.

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    CTS26, Drippingmilk and Aduesque repped this.
  8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    I wouldn't say that him not getting a work permit is guaranteed. Probably unlikely but there's still a chance. He's played four seasons in Europe and thus may qualify as an internationally established player. I thought that was the reason so many non-EU players first went to lower Euro leagues. Him not playing for the national side will hurt though.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be an improbable grand slam if Freddy managed to latch on to blackpool all things considered.

11. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't see the Championship as a place Adu would find congenial. For most teams the style is very direct, and the play often strongly physical/downright rough. If he found playing for Kreis' RSL "too much" for him, then it's not clear as to what about playing in a Blackpool vs. Millwall is going to offer him.
    The trouble is..... when you've spurned every opportunity the game offers you it does get pretty desperate.

12. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Neither you nor Freddy are in the championship.

And no, no you're not. Not if you live in the real world. Freddy has failed in nearly every league he's been (ok, I'll give 2nd division Turkey and the Greek playoffs:rolleyes:). Mentioning Freddy and the EPL in the same sentence is cause for committal.

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Biggest question here: how did Freddy become friends with Barry ferguson?

bornsteinforlife repped this.
  14. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that he became friends with someone who went boozing before a National Team game...

15. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought the same thing. Can't imagine where they where friends, so guess it is just creative writing...

16. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a good feeling about this. Finally Freddy is going to break through! The 10th time is a charm.

HartwickFan repped this.
  17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

If I had to guess, through Edu and Beasley?

18. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'd love to see what a desperate Adu would be like. For me, the kid displays no urgency whatsoever so long as he's getting paid.

What kind of people does he hang out with that nobody tells Freddy, " You realize you could literally be the greatest American soccer player of all time, right?"

I think that's the issue, though. He knows full well that he could be a fantastic soccer player and that's about all he cares about. He doesn't really need to actually do it, in his mind, especially if people are still dropping money in his wallet.

Free agency will get him off his ass for about as long as it takes for somebody else to decide he's worth a shot and then he'll proceed to the nearest hookah bar.

19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say have him come back to the USLPro and work his way back up. Rochester would be a great spot! I say this as a Rhino supporter. That being said, I would love team like Dortmund to say, come and play for our 2nd team, play well, and we will "promote you" to the 1st team. He needs to prove himself with a carrot dangling in from of him. Maybe LAG II? It will never happen, but it might be the best for him.

20. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I remember going to watch D.C. United play the Rochester Rhinos in Cary, North Carolina when Freddy had his first stint in MLS. Never thought he'd ever sink low enough to have to consider that kind of team (no offense to Rochester).

21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    #96 keller4president, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Or maybe even Claudio Reyna? All three were teammates of Ferguson at different times at Rangers.

Did you know you could link any member of the USMNT to Ferguson through 6 players or less? It's called 6 degrees of Fergie. ;)

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Orlando City would work better. USL Pro for a year and then up with them to MLS. At least that would have a bigger payoff.

A team like Dortmund isn't going anywhere near Freddy right now even for Dortmund II. He's no longer an 18 year old prospect. He's a 24 year old journeyman. He is what he is now.

He'll get to a first team somewhere in Europe. I have faith in that. I don't see him with an existing MLS team. We're not privy to what happened at the end there in Philly, but I think in the smoky backrooms where GMs and front office personnel whisper.........................Freddy's got a terrible reputation in MLS. I sense he's burned those bridges. Just a hunch without any evidence.

So he'll land in Scandinavia or some 2nd tier team...........and that'll be fine. He needs to go somewhere and make an impact. He stopped being able to count on his reputation opening doors years ago.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That belief could be hindering him from fully developing his potential in another way, as well. Though he might cling to the belief that he could be or could have been the best American player ever if he wanted to, somewhere, deep in his subconscious, he knows that if he did give it his best effort he might realize that it's not true. So in some way, fear of discovering what his true potential is has probably stunted his growth as a player. It has to be more comfortable And it would be impossible for him to live up to the potential we have collectively assigned to him, further compounding the issue in his mind.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Blackpool eh? Would love to see it happen. Maybe BEIN Sport would try to broadcast all his team's matches.

*edit, but it is just training with the team darn it.

25. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Wouldn't he have to sign today?