The Freddy Adu catchall thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember about 15 years ago I saw wonderboy Jamar Beasley play the El Paso Patriots in an A League match. He was playing for the MLS team that they would send players to get game time. I can not remember the name. But I thought, wow! Jamar Beasley, the savior of US Soccer! Due to personal decisions, he did not pan out. I feel that Adu is similar. His refusal to take a pay cut, not that I could really blame him, has really hampered his progression. If it were a prefect world, he would take a massive paycut and work his way into playing shape and become a consistant player for a midlevel side. Would I love for him to become what many hoped, yes. But I think that he will need a serious attitute adjustment.

2. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. It makes so much sense that it probably won't happen. Adu can lead the NY Cosmos to the Open cup title!!!

3. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    The sad part isn't where Adu's career is, the sad part is that after 10 years of him hitting the mainsteam, we should have at least a few players of that style ready to go. We don't. For whatever reason, I think our system just doesn't allow it. Seems like smaller players that aren't athletic are the ones with the most skill (Adu), and the taller faster guys just learn to physically beat people while lacking technical skill (Johnson). I'm not asking for a Messi or a Ronaldo, those are rare anywhere. I'll be very happy with a Rossi caliber player.

4. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am hoping to watch some second division Turkish league soccer on some hack stream site in a language I don't understand at all. Beggars can be Stream choosers, dude.

5. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know it's bad when those were the good old days . . .

6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he's training with Blackpool now

bornsteinforlife, RobtheAggie and gmonn repped this.
  7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CTS26 and gmonn repped this.
  8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to get excited about this. My heart has been broken too many times

9. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackpool perhaps?

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

10. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes! He will be loaned out to rangers in the summer!

aarond23 repped this.
  11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Work permit?

Paul Berry repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, work permit may be an issue.

13. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How did jay demerit get a visa? I don't trust the visa thing to be a real issue, otherwise, why would he be trialing at blackpool?

14. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeMerit took the advice of a former European teammate and decided to take advantage of his European Union work status (due to his Danish grandfather)

Would Adu qualify automatically being from Ghana?

15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    He had a Danish grandfather so I'm guessing he was able to obtain EU residency (or whatever they call it).

16. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anyone know what the league minimum is for the championship? As I said before, he will get murdered in the championship or in Scotland. The thugs will just cripple him in practice. I still don't understand why he won't go to holland.... Go on for a pay for play contract...

17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If by some miracle he even manages to impress at Blackpool, I doubt he will get a work permit anyway.

18. NakamuraBhoys

NakamuraBhoys Red Card

Jan 13, 2014
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh, finally a tidbit of freddy news! i had been waiting on this for quite some time. the way i see it, a championship move could be the best of his career. if he can manage to impress and turn some heads, a path to the premier league, the most media-hyped league in the world, could show itself for freddy, the most hyped player in our world :)

19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Only two goals behind Altidore this season. Surely Adu would get a work permit.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No. His merits - such as they are would have to be evaluated. The Ghanaian players who play in the UK are either dual nationals, permanent residents from some other criteria or established Ghanaian internationals (Ghana's track record makes a Ghana cap a mark of a quality player).

I can't see how Freddy can get a WP. If Agudelo is rejected but Freddy is accepted, it's a pure lottery.

21. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe bs web traffic is a wp criteria?

Seriously who the hell manages this kid? He will be butchered in a (especially in a low level) championship team.

22. NakamuraBhoys

NakamuraBhoys Red Card

Jan 13, 2014
    common misconception about the championship is that its filled with hacks who injure people. in reality, it's a step down from the premier league, but it isn't some UFC-esque blodbath, there are a lot of skilled players, and good teams

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well.............he has zero chance of getting a WC to play for a UK club like Blackpool anyway. So you don't need to get excited about it. Freddy has two caps since 2009, and none under Klinsmann. In other words significantly fewer than the recently rejected Agudelo.

[There's no point in a UK club signing Adu and loaning him out to a mainland team.]

Hopefully he's training hard and keeping his fitness levels up so when the right opportunity comes along he can take advantage of it.

24. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol, yes, very very very common, similar to the spl and irish curling misconceptions I guess.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Zero chance. He has 2 caps since 2009, and zero under Klinsmann.

If Agudelo was rejected, Freddy has no chance whatsoever. And there's no reason for a UK club to sign Adu and loan him out like Juan was.

The good news is that Freddy is hopefully training hard and keeping his fitness levels up. When the right opportunity comes along he'll thus be able to take advantage of it.