The Freddy Adu catchall thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I sat down and re-watched Freddy’s 51 minutes and I feel a lot better. The first half he was the left-sided striker in a 3-5-2, with Sammy Ochoa next to him.

This means he was the frontline of the press, and that’s what I watched this time around: Is Freddy operating within the defensive tactical scheme and contributing to it. And the answer is Yes, all the time.

Not that he was super effective in pressing, but that all the way through his 51 minutes he did it. He sprinted down the center backs and keeper. He looks like he’s regaining strength and lungs.

On the ball he was fine, just got the ball rarely and in bad spots. They couldn’t figure out how to get him the ball, and he was caught on it a couple times. He doesn’t make the runs of a striker and couldn’t find space for himself to receive it easily. But he also provided good touch, vision, attacking impetus, ball-retention.

His one set-piece was a great ball and he almost got on the end of a cross before that.

In short, he runs now. He looks like a pro soccer player. He was unlucky to be taken off, looked disappointed to be, as if he had more in the tank. Chelis embraced him when he did sub him out and supported him in the press later.

Watching again, the game was poor. It had all the technical nuance of Yeovil vs Grimsby in January. The ball was never on the floor. Ever.

The Lights are without their best midfielder at the moment. Juan Jose Calderon is like their Iniesta, keeps the ball close and moves it forward at tempo. I think he and Freddy could find each other, and there needs to be more guys out there that put their foot on the ball. Carlos Alvarez is one. But they lack a striker.

Next game not until 6/27, home to San Antonio. More time to build fitness.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And Chelis took it really seriously. Just before that. Great job by photographer.
    "Chelis practicing embracing Freddy"
    [​IMG]

3. mikef620

mikef620 Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    4/27, not 6/27. Thanks so much for your analysis though.

Rahbiefowlah and HartwickFan repped this.
  4. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like there was a decent crowd there.

5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

TheHoustonHoyaFan and HartwickFan repped this.
  6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    HartwickFan repped this.
  8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Vegas gets cold brother!

HartwickFan repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Or sweating helps fatsos loose weight.

10. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Everyone left their doors open with the AC on. Cold in Vegas is 55 degrees. It snowed in Reno this morning. [emoji3]

I would start a good message board rivalry with you between the Lights and Reno but our team looks super bad so far and you will likely trounce us!

2in10 repped this.
  11. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No palm trees in Iceland.

HartwickFan repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CAP HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Freddy needs to start getting in shape because he's supposed to be the hero who saves our Qatar campaign.

Crewmudgeon repped this.
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    At that point he will be in his prime.

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

He is starting against San Antonio at 8pm Pacific tonight. Sadly I am unable to attend. I will watch later however and give my feedback.

HartwickFan repped this.
  16. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    Off at the half. I didn’t see any contributions in the 25 minutes or so that I watched.

17. mikef620

mikef620 Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Well that’s disgustin

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Father Time is unforgiving.

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Was getting ready to watch the game on ESPN3 this morning but thankfully checked this thread before wasting 45 minutes of my life.

William Flores and HartwickFan repped this.
  20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do Las Vegas Lights have a b-team in the Finnish 3rd division they could farm him out to by any chance?

xbhaskarx, HartwickFan and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Best part of the match, above.

I watched the whole match and it wasn’t pretty. Freddy never got on the ball. Like literally one time he got control of it and passed it backward, that’s it. San Antonio stayed compact and countered at speed and Freddy was always too far up the field and forced to try to win headers. Tactically San Antonio just toyed with them, and him. They just bodied him easily. He drew a couple fouls.

He really can’t compete at the USL level physically. Not strength, not speed, not quickness, not endurance. I wonder how much room for improvement there is for him in that regard or if his body is too far gone. He has good touch and vision but that’s worth nothing if you never have the ball at your feet.

Daigo Kobayashi and Isaac Diaz were much better than Fred. The Lights looked sharper in the second half after he was pulled. Carlos Alvarez is decent quality and when Calderon gets back Freddy may struggle for minutes. From a Lights fan perspective it’s tough to see how he should be out there. Although Sammy Ochoa looks like a pile of mashed potatoes. They really have no striker at all.

USL games are brutal, man. Once you come down from how bad the level is you can see some flashes of skill but you have to be able to run hard all the time, put a shoulder into a guy, set your ass over the ball and keep it. Freddy has zero chance of doing any of that. He’s limp, top heavy and weak like a meatball with noodles for legs.

Long season. Real Monarchs on Monday and Tulsa at home next Saturday. He’ll probably play a part in at least one of those matches.

22. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a fitness thing, the body is never too far gone. Even at whatever age he is.

HartwickFan and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The song remains the same. Not that it makes a huge difference, but he seems a terrible fit in a 4-3-3. Requires too much defending along with getting up flank.

HartwickFan and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless my assumptions are wrong, Freddy is literally the only non-Latino in the first XI.

25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #4750 Rahbiefowlah, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Yea there’s basically Mexicans, Latino-Americans, Freddy, and a try-hard local white dude with awful touch named Matt Thomas. Kobayashi, and Zac Drake is from Canada.

A lot of local Las Vegas players, actually, which is cool. For having two months to put a squad together it’s not bad.

[​IMG]
    Matt Thomas

This guy is the Lights’ best player in my view. He has been out since preseason. Mexican player with mostly Ascensio experience. Great on the ball, fun to watch. Juan Jose Calderon

E452052D-71AF-4A03-921E-2A03599055CD.jpeg