The Freddy Adu catchall thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Freddy told him, "Hey Ben, I've decided to sell my Hoover... it was just collecting dust!" .... And Ben, was like, "Freddy - just stop it!"

Sactown Soccer and ebbro repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we know Pharma Bro's screen name. :D

3. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    at "28", this guy was suppose to be dominating for our men's team right now. smh...well, he's the least of our problems. Oh yea, I have that same body type, and I'm 36 now

4. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    Freddy retweeted this absurdity from Warren Buffett:
    912268629168627713 is not a valid tweet id

We believe in you, Daddy Warbucks!

HartwickFan and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If Freddy can afford not to give up, he must not be doing too badly.

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm surprised the Europe or bust crowd hasn't given Adu more respect throughout his career. Guy was willing to go to Serbia and Finland after all. Zardes would probably be a sudden folk hero if he signed in Finland.

TOAzer, Suyuntuy and deuteronomy repped this.
  7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suyuntuy and deuteronomy repped this.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Freddy has been a fail trooper. Respect.

9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I do not think HAHAHAHAHAHA means what you think it means"......;)

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean they were arguing in a friendly of Over 40 year old alumni game?

11. Greg Heaney

Greg Heaney Member

May 5, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too bad there isn't a thread to make fun of our NT in the same spirit as this thread...

taylor repped this.
  12. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    I’m up for it.

TOAzer repped this.
  13. Californian81

Californian81 Member

Chivas
    Mexico
    Oct 26, 2017
    I might be in the minority here, but I always thought Freddy looked decent with a moment of flash here and there when he played for the US national team.

There was one game in particular (can't remember against who) where I remember he was making some dangerous passes.

He had spunk.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you know what Lou Grant had to say about that.

Unbelievably, Ed Asner is still alive.

bigredfutbol and TOAzer repped this.
  15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this article posted on the MLS website, it's from the benefit game.

“There’s a lot of things that I think back on and I’m like, 'Man, I was young, I was naive about a lot of things,'” Adu said. “When you get older, literally, reality hits you at some point. And you’re just like, man, did you ever think you would be in this situation, you know what I mean? Going a whole year without playing soccer. I never thought that in my life.”

Even so, the memories that come from his first return to RFK in half a decade remain mostly positive. Particularly when he thinks of the first time he came on the field, for Alecko Eskandarian, in front of a raucous crowd on April 3, 2004.

“Getting ready to go on -- that was probably the strangest feeling I have ever had,” Adu said. “It was excitement, but it was scary at the same time. You don’t think about that until you’re actually there getting ready to go in the game, and you see Alecko running off, and you’re like, ‘Man, it’s really happening.’ That moment was, to me, probably the greatest moment I’ve had so far as a professional.”

HartwickFan repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It must be brutal to be in your 20s and realized the peak of your life was at 17, that everything from that point on was just decline.

HartwickFan, R. Carrillo and TOAzer repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus Spake Al Bundy....;)

song219 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

TOAzer repped this.
  19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I just hope that in 20 years he gives and 60 minutes interview and tells us how old he really was when he said he was 14.

I am thinking he was 18.

Californian81 repped this.
  20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Someday he'll reveal he's Michael Bradley's real father.

HartwickFan and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask people who saw him at the time. I saw him in Cary with the U17s. He looked older than most kids his reported age, but he wouldn’t have been th oldest looking kid. My son, for example, looked older at the same age. Then grow in how much a difference of 4years would have shown up when he immigrated, and then throw in that he doesn’t have an accent...the evidence is overwhelming that his age is legit. MAYBE he’s a year older. Anything more than that is crazy b/c it means he was a 16 year old who looked 15 when he was supposed to be 14.

Damon Bailey might have peaked as a basketball player at age 15. It happens.

22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I saw him at a camp at 13, he looked by far the oldest and played like it.

the issue isn't that his skills were amazing or that he physically just matured early; it was like he was just older he didn't fit in, it just didn't make sense at all.

the evidence isn't overwhelming at all its literally a piece of paper that can be altered easily especially ten years ago and especially when they really wanted it to be true.

bailey is a terrible comparison.

1)bailey went on to be a really good college player; was an aa, just was overrated as a high school player because he was a white kid from indiana...like larry bird.

2)adu peaked at fourteen and never showed any promise after that; he had an ok tournament here and there or part of a season but he was a bust immediately. He was supposed to be the best player in the world lol. he was manufactured by nike/mls/us soccer. bailey was a result of one coach whose judgement is questionable at best over hyping a kid because of where he lived and his skin color.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At most he could cheat by 3-4 years.

That cannot excuse being crap and playing like a 50 year old at 24 (really 28).

Even age cheating is not enough to explain it.

HartwickFan repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re saying that his mom told INS he was 8 but he was really 11 or 12.

Smh

25. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    sure it does...take an decent 17/18 year old...take andrew carleton and put him with the U14/U15 group...how good would he look?

he's a prospect as a 17 year old but if you said he was 14 with the same skills/strength you'd be out of this world excited.

then consider there is literally zero improvement from age 14 to 18...he is literally the same player..didn't grow an inch...didn't improve a bit.