The Freddy Adu catchall thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you were given the option of living his life, as horrible as it has been in a sporting sense over the past 10 years, would you not say absolutely? The guy has been bagging so much tail off of about ~2 years of playing good soccer. Amazing what marketing will do for someone.

Skandal!!! and HartwickFan repped this.
  2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    But what if his sex life is like his football career?

You know. A lot of media buzz and speculation, but not a lot of action where it counts.

russ, um_chili, bigredfutbol and 7 others repped this.
  3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he hasn't scored since 2013?

svelten, russ, Skandal!!! and 6 others repped this.
  4. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I drop in every once in a while to check this thread.. now where on to his sex life lmao.
    Amazing

AutoPenalti and Unak78 repped this.
  5. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    This is the only life he's ever going to have...

The Irish Rover repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    But only if he learns to enjoy actual physical activity. LOL

superdave and Skandal!!! repped this.
  7. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    ehehehhe, awesome!

8. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Honestly, the kid's made alot of money in his life. Even if it fell short of where it should have been, he's probably lived a better life than most of the ppl on this forum. He's lived abroad, played a game for a living, even worn the USMNT shirt a few times in competition. And he has dated some pretty good looking women. Bottom line, he came along at a time when the level of the league required them to throw him into the deep end before he was mature enough to handle living up to it. Had he emerged today, he'd have stood a much better chance at fulfilling his potential without having to have the quote-unquote savior tag slapped upon him and over-inflating his ego. Many players fail to pan out because they either lack confidence and have noone who places that trust in them to build it up or have too much confidence with the same lack of trust. He's an example of the latter, but I take little joy in it. He had talent and would have been a great asset had he panned out. He just came around at the wrong time imo. Had he emerged today, he'd have been forced to fight more for every accolade that he got instead of having it handed to him before he was a finished product or proved anything on the field professionally.

9. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Making money and having money are two different things.

The world is filled with broke millionaire athletes.

I only hope he, or his family, or his advisor (whoever that may be) were smart enough to properly invest and preserve what he earned.

Still I naievly hold out hope that he is actually a late bloomer, and can somehow summon the physical wherewithal to turn his career around.

Watching today's U20s in Korea, and comparing to what he did in Montreal against Poland, you can't tell me that he couldn't read the game, or that he wasn't tactically aware. He could. He was. He just never matured enough physically and emotionally to translate his youthful genius to the senior level.

10. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    He had flashes like the Gold Cup a few years back, but he also was sorely unpolished for someone his age by that time. That type of completeness to his game is something that is usually developed by your early twenties, not something that can be forced into it in your late twenties after over a decade of less than stellar nurturing, bad habits and lessened reflexes creep in.

11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I think one can absolutely make a case that he wasn't tactically aware. I don't think he was a smart player.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    HartwickFan repped this.
  13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What Adu should have been forced to do is to watch game tapes for 12 hours at a time in a locked room.

14. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy Birthday Freddy!!!

Gonna try and get a 2 chick pic tonight in his honor.

Also, maybe vacuum my room.

WrmBrnr, zanderbz and deuteronomy repped this.
  15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Very true, sadly. However, I wonder if it applies to Freddy. I haven't seen too much evidence of him making the kind of major-league financial outlays of the kind that bankrupt ex-athletes make - the $150k car, the big-ticket mansion, etc. He also never got hitched, so he never needed the services of a celebrity divorce lawyer - that particular gig really costs money.

I remember when he was in Finland and somebody posted some stuff from his Twitter account. One of them was a photo or photos of the new watch he'd just taken delivery of and he wanted to show to all his groupies . . . sorry, fans. The watch was what what you'd expect - gold, bling jewels, fancy box, etc. - and the threads had a mini-spike in posts with people slating him for shopping instead of practicing, squandering $$ on a $1,500 watch, and so on.

I enlarged the shot to get the brand name (which I've forgotten) and googled it. The brand made watches all right, gold watches with diamonds too - so long as you don't mind diamonds made of glass and the gold being 1mm of fake-gold plating. The watch bloggers and message boards slated the brand for quality, with one guy saying something along the lines of "If you want a timepiece, better buy a Chinese Rolex. If you want a bracelet, it's too obviously cheap. The box is good quality." You could get it for $300 on Amazon.

ChrisSSBB and deuteronomy repped this.
  16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Since I was banned from pbp thread for being an enlightened LBGTQ

I thought I would visit the only place left to me and Freddy adu.

He playing the soccer anymore?

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Of course.

On Playstation . . .

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Bradley's goal against Mexico got me thinking I guess.. there are just some players who can hit the crossbar, while others who can't... Freddy's just one of the latter I guess...

19. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    [QUOTE="Crewmudgeon, post: 35507900

Watching today's U20s in Korea, and comparing to what he did in Montreal against Poland, you can't tell me that he couldn't read the game, or that he wasn't tactically aware. He could. He was. He just never matured enough physically and emotionally to translate his youthful genius to the senior level.[/QUOTE]

With young players you never know. Look at Polish team from this tournament in Canada: Krychowiak, Krol, Janczyk were top stars. Dawid Janczyk was the biggest star and how did he end up (sold to CSKA Moscow for 4.8m Euro, 1 M Euro per year salary - drunken alcoholic escaping institutions through the fence now), Krol at Real Madrid at the time of the tournament, "best buddy of Raul" - completely paranoid schizophrenic megalomaniac looser not playing football anymore (he just published the book about himself called "A looser" to warn young players about too much soda water resulting from making too much money at young age). The only one who made it out of these three main stars is Krychowiak (two time EL winner with Sevilla), regular Polish NT 11, looking to transfer out of PSG to Milan, MC or Wolfsburg now (and his Girlfriend is better then anything on these Adu pictures as well!!!:).

schrutebuck repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With young players you never know. Look at Polish team from this tournament in Canada: Krychowiak, Krol, Janczyk were top stars. Dawid Janczyk was the biggest star and how did he end up (sold to CSKA Moscow for 4.8m Euro, 1 M Euro per year salary - drunken alcoholic escaping institutions through the fence now), Krol at Real Madrid at the time of the tournament, "best buddy of Raul" - completely paranoid schizophrenic megalomaniac looser not playing football anymore (he just published the book about himself called "A looser" to warn young players about too much soda water resulting from making too much money at young age). The only one who made it out of these three main stars is Krychowiak (two time EL winner with Sevilla), regular Polish NT 11, looking to transfer out of PSG to Milan, MC or Wolfsburg now (and his Girlfriend is better then anything on these Adu pictures as well!!!:).[/QUOTE]

FWIW back in February 2012 Janczyk went on trial at Limerick in the Irish second division. A good PDL side would do well in that league. They weren't interested in him. Says it all.

Skandal!!! repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says he's Polish.
    Was that because of the argument about the "p" chant. I think after a slow start everyone ended up understanding how offensive it really is.

22. DeRo4Life

DeRo4Life Red Card

May 12, 2017
  23. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow, I remember being so jealous of Adu, he was crushing the world at a time when no Mexican prospect looked half decent. So sad what happened to him. Looking backwards, trying to succeed at Philly would've been his best option.