The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warning! Post with partial spoiler re MLS playoff (open)
    So I watched an amazing Cascadia Derby playoff game tonite on DVR. Unfortunately just like Liverpool-ACMilan back in 2005, my recording time ran out just as they said "we're going to PK's".

No problem this time, I thought. FOX has a video replay page which doesn't seem to list spoilers. Pretty much. Well the top video simply said "watch the penalty shootout". OK, although that title would be somewhat of a spoiler in itself, for someone who wanted to watch the match from minute 1, that wasn't the case for me.

So I clicked the video, being careful not to look at any surrounding text, for fear of spoilers. HOWEVER, before the video played, it showed an enlarged still image, in which the players from one team was in a big group hug. :(

I watched the shootout anyway, but the suspense was already ruined.

OK, some would say I'm nit-picking, but couldn't the FOX website production team choose a different still image, so as not to spoil things?

Redbullsnation2012 and EvanJ repped this.
  3. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Welll...talk about nitpicking :D

Just be glad you can watch the replays :D

4. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Moral of the story here is to add at least an hour DVR time to any match that has the potential for ET & PKs. And with MLS matches starting at weird times relative to the broadcast start time (sometimes it's 20-30 minutes later) adding 1.5 or 2 hours is probably the way to go.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah i added 1hr i think. Not quite enough. Luckily it wasn't my team. But it was one hell of a match!

But perhaps the other moral of the story is that with the advent of streaming websites like this one, unless they get hip and change their practices, it will be very hard to watch the game after the fact without it being spoiled. As we've been doing with our dvr's forever.

6. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I watched this game streaming on my tablet without being spoiled by looking for it. I simply opened up Fox Sports Go, selected "replays", and Seattle-Vancouver was right there. I'm guessing you went to their website rather than using an app.

However, the one thing that did spoil me was the slider bar at the bottom that shows the elapsed time: it went to 4 hours. The slider is hard to avoid on a tablet, but on a Roku I've found them easy to avoid by either a) just letting it play and not FFing, which causes the slider/progress bar to pop up or b) closing my eyes when I hit the FF to incrementally skip 10-20 seconds so I don't see the progress bar.

Let's face it - the issue of extra time/penalties on replays on general sports streaming apps like FS Go or ESPN+ is likely never to be fixed. It's such a small subset of matches in a niche sport that they will never undertake the expense of rewriting their code to account for it. It would have be some kind of soccer-centric app or service that would even think to do something about this.

For example, this has been finally acknowledged as an issue on the NHL.TV app after many years. As so many NHL games go to OT/SO, they finally during last season's playoffs made their slider bars only show elapsed time and not total time, and it isn't shown as a progress bar so you can't tell how much time is left in the file. But because so many different entities have rights to different leagues and competitions in soccer, I don't think this is ever going to be addressed in this sport. So to the extent you have access to these type of matches available on TV, the best bet is to DVR them with 1.5-2 hours added for MLS due to the goofy kickoff times, and 1 hour for matches elsewhere in the world which reliably start on the hour or half-hour.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  7. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A miniscule amount of sports fans are interested in doing this, particularly for games that take place in the evening (US time zones). Hell, only 245,000 people even watched this game live on FS1, the number of people who cared to watch on delay without being spoiled could probably fit in the same taxi with you :)

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You use this argument a lot with me, but it rings kind of hollow. I know if I was designing a streaming service I would go to the effort to design it to work well for all customers, rather than just worry about the 95% or whatever.

Just like if I was the mayor of a town of 100,000, I would want to do well by a handfull of citizens and not brush them off as statistically unimportant.

In fact, Deco's previous post, might offer a glimmer of hope...

Apparently someone at NHLTV was listening. And thinking. And guess what? Their solution was not very hard and probably cost them very little money to implement.

But Deco goes on to highlight one of the challenges that I've been seeing for some time now...

One of the downsides of our new fragmented streaming world is this lack of standardization. It wouldn't be too hard to come up with some conventions that providers could agree to, so that end-users wouldn't have to learn the nuances and idiosyncrasies of each GUI, and constantly switch gears.

BUT the problem is that each company wants to be able to innovate, to differentiate. The marketing types probably see it as a plus that their GUI is different, "better". Even when it's not.

Personally I think there's some sort of happy compromise here. And I hope this industry will recognize that, get together, and do what's best for the end-user. We shall see. And in a best case scenario, we would probably have to wait a year or more for this to settle out.

9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I always hope that they work those things out for you, I'm just arguing that it's not commercially expedient for them to do so. What's really, really important for MLS, FOX and ESPN is figuring out how they can get people to care about MLS on live TV.

TJNash and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  10. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Is it ok to assume that the Super classico will air on Fox Deportes today at 2? Is it (ever) safe to assume anything with Fox?

11. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’re showing “La Previa” but the game itself isn’t listed on FSGO (although nothing else is either). How awful would it be for them to abruptly switch from the pregame to NFL in español?

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With all the schedule changes, Deportes wasn't able to keep up (at least with the FIOS guide). I think the whole afternoon was listed as UFC on my guide.

13. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Same for me. (Comcast)

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but when I went to watch the Saturday airing it said it had been rescheduled for the following day, so I just set up a manual recording of the time slot which showed up as UFC.

Sorry I didn't give y'all a heads-up about this, on this thread. I should have.

Anyway I had a busy day so I haven't had a chance to watch the Boca-River final, but I did hear the result. Plus that no away fans were allowed due to security concerns. How common is that down there?

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I vaguely remember that 2015 thing were pepper spray or something was thrown by Boca fans.

So, do most Argentinian matches or derbies go as typical, i.e. home & away fans "coexisting"? And is it just big Boca/River matchups where they can't trust the fans to keep peace? Or is this more of a one-off??

18. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I did the manual record move as well. I was happy to see that it recorded.

And the no away supporters deal is an Argentinian FA thing across the board. Probably for the best if you’ve ever witnessed some of the insanity that goes on there

19. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Great Libertadores Final first game, and to think that the best South American players are in Europe makes these games even more Amazing.
    Argentine soccer games and fans are not for faint of heart :)

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So fans there never get to travel and watch their team on the road?

IOW, teams never have the benefit of away support?

21. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’ve had no visiting teams for the past few years. Pretty unfortunate. The last superclasico I went to in 2009 at La Bombonera, they did have visiting supporters. They didn’t allow the Boca (home) support to leave for 20 minutes, in order to give the River support a head start. It’s an unfortunate situation.

InterFan76 repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In Argentina it’s very common through out the whole system every week. It’s a rule because of so much violence.

24. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah such a great league with so much history ruined buy violence and corruption.