The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is not saying much.
    And they have not worked together so that remains to be seen for sure.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they damn well better hook them up soon then! :eek:

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Champions League Semis?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  5. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    [Insert sarcastic tone as you read the following]: Everyone can rest easy tonight in case of DVR failure when recording the Real-Bayern 1/2 final since Fox Deportes sees no need to show a top of the group matchup between Gremio and Cerro Porteno in an effort to repeat Real-Bayern two more times. Fox Deportes will show that CL match 3 times in about 9 hours just in case someone wants a triple header today.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To be fair the ratings will be better for all the replays than any libertadores match they may show.

7. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to my onscreen guide (DIRECTV), ESPN Deportes is showing a repeat of the first leg at the same time as Fox Deportes is showing a repeat of the second leg. These channels are one channel apart on DIRECTV (465 & 466). Should cause some confusion among channel-flipping, casual fans.

8. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if FOX is letting stations move World Cup games to a subchannel or is it going to be the .1 channel (obviously, this doesn't apply to markets where the FOX affiliate is a subchannel) or total pre-emption? I ask because today's Bundesliga game was moved to the .2 channel by the Cleveland affiliate due to a car dealership infomercial, but I'm not sure if FOX would allow an event on the scale of the World Cup to be dropped to a .2 channel.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good question.
    It is the World Cup so you would think all the affiliates would be on board with it being on the primary channel.
    But in smaller markets out in the boonies I could see some moron local affiliate program director saying "soccer? bleeeeh!" So you never know.
    I think most people have nothing to worry about though.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As stated in the World Cup thread Fox Sports Go now has a replay section of onDemand streams of sports.

11. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was an amusing email I received today. IMG_1838.JPG

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a few games of past WC being delayed to the point of absurdity because ABC was showing morning local programming, whether that be news, religious programming or infomercials.

I remember Oliver once saying the national networks reserve time on the affiliates, but once a certain time approaches (six months?) anything left over is up to the local channels to fill with exceptions for national breaking news, presidential speeches, etc.

However, since the 2002/2006 World Cups, there's been a Fox Sports app and the Spanish-language channels aren't the hidden secret they once were.

So while it's *possible* a game could be preempted for something huge, it's probably relatively unlikely. I'd still recommend making sure your apps/connections and Spanish-language channels are good to go.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #963 NorthBank, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    IMHO FOX botched their transition from WC to MLS today.

The TFC-NYRB coverage was due to start at 4:30pm but the CRO-DEN match was just going to a shootout so obviously they'd stick with that. It ended shortly afterwards, but then aired ~30 mins of WC post-match coverage fluff, at which point Rob Stone showed a screen behind him that the MLS match had started and was 4' in, and "oh I guess NYRB just scored?". Then they showed 9 minutes of more fluff and advertising before they abruptly switched to TOR-NYRB in the 13' minute.

OK I'll admit I'm a little biased, being a Red Bulls fan, and that on this day WC >> MLS. BUT we're talking about CRO-DEN here. And they seemed to go out of their way to avoid doing what FOX, NBC, ESPN et al have done time and again, which is to cut slightly short their previous post-match coverage, in order catch the next match's KO. Surely 30 mins was enough time to wrap-up that WC match.

Honestly the only legit reason that I can imagine that they did what they did was some super strict contractual obligation to their advertisers. But are the WC advertising contracts so much stricter than for other competitions? Because surely we've all seen many better compromises made in the past in order to show the KO of the following match.

Edit: the MLS match was more interesting than the WC match that they gave preference to. Certainly a ton more shots and a bunch of great saves by our fantastic keeper! Plus we won :) Then FOX ended the coverage 1 minute after the ref blew FT, with zero post-match coverage. :p

14. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I had that game taped and as soon as I came home and heard the WC game went to PKs I knew I was gonna miss the start of that game. I was so annoyed they took so long after the PKs were over to switch to the game. Did they even bother to throw the first 10 mins on like FS1 or FS2? lol

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone needs to do a bit of "proofreading" when it comes to flags.

[​IMG]

sitruc, EvanJ, QPR Kevin H and 2 others repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The land of the rising cross.

NorthBank repped this.
  17. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Did any of you check the Fox Sports App? Probably could have watched it live there from the outset.

18. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    C’mon. It’s an easy mistake to make. Confusing a Nordic country for an Asian country.

Besides, those 2 flags are so similar, it’s hard to tell which one is which.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just Japan's flag, but they have Italy's flag for Mexico.

sitruc, NorthBank and HomietheClown repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I checked FS1 & FS2 and they had golf and something else going on. Trying to stream it on my phone would've been smart, but alas I didn't have that thought. Too bad, coulda caught the one and only goal that way.

They made zero effort for the MLS match. Actually negative effort if you consider that they very consciously chose to stick with WC post-game for 12 extra minutes, after the MLS kickoff.

It was a very odd marketing decision. Obviously someone at FOX originally planned a big Soccer Sunday thing, which I was happily on board for. Only to see them substantially bail out of the 3rd match in that trilogy.

21. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Didn't MLS delay kickoff in Toronto when they saw the WC match go to extra time?

22. bselig

bselig Member

Nov 5, 2005
    The kickoff for the July 1 Toronto MLS game was pushed to 5:05 PM and the beginning was aired on Fox Business Network. FS1 was booked with golf, and FS2 doesn't have the cable coverage of FBN.

23. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I dunno. Don't MLS games typically not start at the exact time?

Like if it's listed for a 7pm kickoff, it normally doesn't kick off till 7:10-7:15.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Business Network... what they heck is that? I've never seen that on my channel line-up. And I have zero recollection of a game being offloaded to there before. And did Rob Stone say anything about this as all the MLS fans were wondering what was going on?

And if Toronto pushed back their KO time because of the WC match, couldn't FOX reciprocate by doing their wrap-up a little more efficiently?

Overall it was still an odd botch IMO.

sitruc, daniloni and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was after 7:00 P.M. when the next show was supposed to start.

There's a difference between starting 10 to 15 minutes into the coverage and starting 35 minutes in like 5:05 when coverage was supposed to start at 4:30.

It's rare for Fox Business Network to have sports, but on January 13 they had Villanova at St. John's. Don't you have Fios? It's channel 617.