The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No streaming in normal daily ratings. Counted separately.

Side note: these aren't really the best events to judge the future of streaming. I really don't think that sports on over-the-air network TV are going to go away anytime soon. Even if young people aren't buying traditional tv's, FOX and NBC still need to show content through their affiliate stations on weekend afternoons -- and they'd like for it to do well.

2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Having seen some notable moments over the last few days called by Fox's crews, the world cup experience I'm used to could be ruined by subpar broadcasting.

Cantona repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya think?!

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching UCL highlights show. No problems with the audio level this week. :)

5. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Surprising Liverpool-City FS2 placement means Martin Tyler and no American crew :thumbsup:

NorthBank repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was about to post the same thing.
    I thought for sure they would trot out the American Brit commentary pairing they had during the England- Italy match again.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. And it sucked when FOX cut Martin off mid-sentence as he was about to wrap-up the match at FT. Only to have some stupido like Mark Brogandino (or was it Rob Stone) stumble his way through the goal scorers.

8. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Flashback to the FOX Sports World days.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lara Baldeserra and... Lionel Bienvenu!!!

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  10. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I still remember the terrible Kevin "Out in Front!" Wall from Fox Sports World's debut days back in 1997. Aside from making Andres Cordero sound like Martin Tyler, I remember Wall being extremely confused during some two-legged tie with the away goals tiebreaker. He was under the common misconception that "away goals count double" so when the home team was up by a goal on aggregate despite giving up two away goals, he couldn't figure out that the home team was still winning the tie. Great days.

Best thing about that channel when it started is that it picked up Sky coverage of La Liga, and I got to witness this incredible goal during the Madrid derby live:

and I remember that one of the Sky announcers referred to it as "a goal from heaven".

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Fox isn't the only company that does that. I like hearing the announcers' final comments after Premier League games, but sometimes NBCSN goes back to Rebecca or to the end of another game. One good thing about NBC Sports Gold is that the announcers' final comments aren't cut off.
    Mark's last name is Rogondino.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Can anyone who is using matchpass share an update about Libertadores/Sudamericana matches: are they still using stadium sounds and no commentary for most of these matches? Or are they including commentary again? I'd like to stay with Fanatiz but the fact that I can basically only watch one match because any consecutive viewings end with the match stopping at multiple points is too annoying. But Fanatiz has commentary, whereas matchpass was 90% stadium sound.

13. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you talking viewing a match after it ended? Can you provide an example? When I watch it live, I have no issues with going back to check out a goal or a foul, etc.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    If you pull up a Libertadores or Sudamericana match after it ends and watch on demand, is there commentary or is it just stadium sound. I dumped matchpass because about 85% of the Libertadores and Sudamericana games were stadium sound only even though they were getting the feed from South America and those feeds had commentary. Fox was dumping the commentary for no clear reason--or no reason that could be explained by the customer service folks. Anyway, if you check a few games, do you hear commentary?

17. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Libertad v Penarol right now on fanatiz via my Appletv 4K (Sorry if this is wrong forum). Quality=HD. Commentary= classic Spanish. Background noise=. Turned up. Fanatiz compared to Matchpass is $10 less. Chilean league, Argentine, both Libertadores & Sudamericana. So worth it.

18. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I like Fanatiz, but there are two problems for me: (1) Libertadores/Sudamericana is only VOD for 24 hours. I'm having to binge watch in ways that I would prefer not to. I get that they are restricted by the contract with Fox, so it's not their fault that the window is so short, but Matchpass is much, much longer. (2) I have made 3 or 4 different changes to my settings and yet I continue to run into the same problem: I can watch 1 game without problems, but by the second game at at least one point (and often twice or three times) the stream just stops. I get an error message in the middle of the window and a "null" message in the top left. There is not a setting to start where there broken stream cut out. If I was working on something or answering an email and not watching the clock, then I have to re-start and guess where I left off. I never had this problem with Matchpass.

Still, if Matchpass is mostly stadium sound then these hassles with Fanatiz are worth it. Some people dig stadium sound but it's not for me. I like having commentary, especially since there are days when I am so busy with work that I listen more than watch.

19. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What I didn't quite understand is your issue with rather Fanatiz below...

...but you explained it your post above. O suggest you emailed them your issue. I had another issue a while back and they got back to me within a couple of hours.

20. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    #945 Art Deco, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Yes, I checked some of the games this week and most are still stadium sound/no commentary/no graphics.

I can deal with the lack of commentary but the lack of graphics are the real problem for me. It's easy enough to figure the time if you note what the start time was but unless you're paying close attention it's easy to miss a goal especially if it's scored by the away side, and also especially if you have it muted on a second screen.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading this makes me think streaming/VOD is kind of like the wild west. Also, no graphics would be an absolutely show-stopper for me. That's like going back to television in the 1950's? Even then they probably showed a score or a clock on the screen somehow.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup,
    Not a fan of pairing him up with Wagner though but I will say she does know her tactical stuff. Hopefully they can build a rapport together soon.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Wagner is perhaps the most impressive American ex-player commentator I've heard. Can't really comment on their chemistry as I haven't noticed it.