The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They show all the games made available for international broadcast. They have no say in what games get produced.

HomietheClown repped this.
  2. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Anyone know how the VR idea for the world cup will work? It sounds like an interesting way to experience some games. I know the NBA does it, anyone have any experience with it?

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I assume there will simply be a few locations to view the game from.

4. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    It looks like Fox has us set up for the WC based on their approach to the CL. US commentary teams for both CL games today.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.
    It seems like they are using the CL as a warm up for the commentators to get a rapport by the time the WC comes along. Which only makes most people around here angry but I did not mind it much.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  6. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    It was terrible because Stu Holden sucks and there were multiple times when they didn't know if it was a penalty or offside because they are calling from a screen. Takes some of the oomph from big moments. At least the World Cup they should be there, but guessing there'll be tons of jabronis in the booth.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ONLY bad about Eric Wynalda not getting any votes for USSF President, is that it probably means he'll be back doing games for FOX. :(

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  8. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I had the impression that the commentators yesterday were not unbiased. I expect that from British commentators or someone who has a rooting interest (like Darke and Mcmanaman calling England games). Anyway, I didn't expect it yesterday so it surprised me somewhat.

9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'll be watching on Telemundo this summer. And I'll probably get news, analysis, chatter from the BBC, The Guardian and podcasts like The Totally Football Show (I have a higher tolerance for British-centric views).

10. kalin21

kalin21 Member

May 26, 2009
    TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Stupid Fox Deportes not showing live Porto vs Liverpool game...but they do on Facebook Live, wth...

11. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Guess this means it's going to FS Matchpass for me on UCL the rest of the season. Thankfully they just use the raw international feed on there with the Sky UK commentators. The only drawback is that unlike the Europa League and just about all of the major European leagues, the raw UCL feed has no score/time box so on Roku I have to take note of when the half starts and pause whenever I want to see the time elapsed.

And I know I've said this before, but listening to Holden is like hearing Morty from Rick & Morty call a game.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder if they will do the same thing for the World Cup. They have the rights to all the World Cup International feeds right? Maybe that will be an incentive for people around here to pony up the money for Match Pass.

13. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I was in Mexico City during much of WC 2010. Sky had dual language options so one track was Spanish and the other was English solo commentary FIFA feed commentary. It seemed strange that they would do that since Mexico City, while a global city, is not know for having massive quantities of English speaking expats (in Barcelona such a move would make sense). It would be great if Fox would use 2 or 3 audio options: US folks, UK folks, and stadium sound. One year they were adventurous during the CL and used Sky Italy commentary on FS+. Maybe they will use FS+ for something. Although for me the channel will be dumped once FS+ is done with live Europa League games.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I mentioned in another thread a couple years back that Univision during the Centenario used their SAP audio channel for other Latin American Language broadcasts and it was fun to listen too. I was able to hear commentators from Colombia, Chile, Peru and Brazil instead of their typical azo azo azo commentators.

FOX should consider broadcasting the English international feed on their SAP audio channel or FOX match pass or Soccer plus.

Redbullsnation2012 and daniloni repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Also, I think they should do what ESPN did with Deportes and broadcast Portuguese commentary on FOX Deportes.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Holden just talks to fill dead air. Like when he said Higuain's (first) PK was a good, low shot when it was actually at the perfect height for goalkeepers to stop it. :cautious:

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I must admit, I never seriously considered paying for streaming until just now when I learned that through FS MatchPass you get the real commentators.

I've always thought that if a network wanted viewers to pay more they should make those pay options more attractive, like slip the PSG v Madrid second leg on FS Plus:sneaky: . But actually that's a dumb strategy - takes effort and could cause an uproar.

A much better, cheaper and passive-aggressive strategy is to do nothing to enhance the pay channels. Just make the free stuff worse. Enter Holden, Lalas & Co.

Speaking of getting worse, today's EL menu was pretty feeble. Between FS1 & 2, FSD and ESPND (4 channels) there were only a couple of live games shown. And then the replays in the evening are those same 2 games.:thumbsdown:

18. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I get that there was some nascar thing on fs1, but they could have put a game from each match window on the Fox RSNs which appeared to not have any live events (one was showing a Bundesliga repeat). AC Milan was only available on matchpass... how the mighty have fallen.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well , it is going to be worse next year when you can't see any of the Europa League matches on TV or even online.

20. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Bayern got pushed to FS2 by Xfinity qualifying (that's NASCAR's second stock car series). But I guess they're going all out for Daytona 500 weekend.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    NASCAR usually gets better numbers than Bundesliga so I am not that surprised.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's a no brainer. Bundesliga does not do well at all on FS1.

23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why is that?

24. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that Turner was creating a streaming service that will put all games online.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought I heard somewhere that Turner will not put any emphasis on the Europa League except the Final.

Maybe that was just TV though. Either way it is a step backwards.

NorthBank repped this.