The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    More than half on Simpsons Fox?

Fantastic.:thumbsup:

bigtw64 repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. This seems like a slippery slope to me. They'll say "don't worry we'll never go longer than 6 seconds" or "it'll never take up more than 40% of screen real estate". And then low and behold a short time later, both promises will be broken.

The shift to streaming (e.g. NBC with EPL) has already degraded the quality & availability of content, IMHO. I hope advertising instrusion doesn't complete the 1-2 punch.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess that tells us how the tone of those wrap-up shows will be. He tries to be silly, but sometimes he tries a bit too hard?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #754 HomietheClown, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Well as I said, if they do it the way Spanish language television does it then I won't mind that much. I am so used to it during Colombian matches.
    Heck, in Colombia everything has an advertiser connected with it on the radio. Even Corner Kicks.

As long as I don't miss a goal I will be alright with it. Especially since half the games will be on Free OTA TV. FOX gotta pay the bills somehow.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He did that for decades on Univision. It does not come off as good in English but that is expected since it is not his native language and there are cultural differences.
    He still has his followers and FOX is banking on just sliver of those Univision groupies to follow him to the Post Game just to see what he will say and do.

6. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    watching CSKA-MUFC. Whatever happened to Friedel's fake English accent? :whistling:

vilafria repped this.
  7. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.
    The World Cup will be a cord cutter's dream. Most of the matches you can just see with rabbit ears on the tv in English and some of the rest you will see on Telemundo.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And for the more modern kind of cord-cutters, has FOX announced what kind of streaming they'll make available for WC'18? Sorry if that was already discussed above.

What would be nice would be if every game could be streamed, live and/or replay. Maybe requiring a TV provider login? But don't know if they'll have a robust enough platform to handle the potential demand for that.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They mention that the live matches will be available on FOX Sports go with over 30 different camera angles to choose from.

As for OnDemand steams you may have to pay for that on FOX Soccer Matchpass.
    (I am not sure though.)

Telemundo will have all the matches on their digital platform both live and OnDemand to stream any time at your convenience.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, how could they resist the potential revenue stream. :(

Now that's the way to do it!! But 100% En Espanol?

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Si Senor.
    Better brush up on your Espanol if you want to watch all the games OnDemand on digital platforms.

Unless FOX does something out of the kindness of their heart and provides them for free somehow some way.
    Or sells them to Facebook or something.

13. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday, FOX Sports hosted its 2018 FIFA World Cup™ celebration in New York City, unveiling unprecedented coverage plans for the largest production in the network’s 24-year history.

FOX Sports President and Executive Producer Eric Shanks was joined onstage by on-air personalities Alexi Lalas, Landon Donovan, Ian Wright, Kate Abdo, Rob Stone, Fernando Fiore along with United States Men’s National Team coach Bruce Arena and Mexico National Team manager Juan Carlos Osorio for the Road to Russia celebration.

FOX Sports pulls out all the stops for the month-long tournament, offering 350 hours of FIFA World Cup™ programming. FOX Sports’ presentation of next year’s global event features more soccer matches on broadcast television than the last four World Cups combined.

Daytime and late-night studio coverage originates from a state-of-the-art facility in Moscow’s iconic Red Square. The two-story complex features two sets, a main anchor desk and an interview area for WORLD CUP LIVE, WORLD CUP TODAY and WORLD CUP TONIGHT, as well as pre-match, halftime and post-match programs. Kate Abdo hosts WORLD CUP LIVE, while Rob Stone anchors WORLD CUP TODAY, and Emmy Award-winning broadcaster Fernando Fiore wraps up the day’s action on WORLD CUP TONIGHT.

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/...ted-coverage-plans-2018-fifa-world-cup-russia

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Fox just lose 50% of its ratings for Russia, in Trinidad tonight?

bigtw64 repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How much of a discount did they get for the tournament?

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They got a discount for 2026.

LaxBandit repped this.
  21. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #771 LaxBandit, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

FOX Sports presents an action-packed MLS doubleheader, featuring linear and digital whiparound coverage for the penultimate week of the regular season on Sunday, October 15, beginning at 5:00 PM ET on FS1 and FOX Deportes.

An Eastern Conference matchup kicks off Sunday’s lineup when the Atlanta United clashes with the host team, the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey. Immediately following, a Western Conference matchup will take place at CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Washington with Seattle Sounders FC hosting FC Dallas at 7:30 PM ET on FS1 and FOX Deportes.

As playoff spots are down to the wire, Rob Stone and Alexi Lalas host FS1’s whiparound coverage, offering quick-turnaround highlights of in-progress matches, news and analysis. Rachel Bonnetta hosts a special digital whiparound show across FOX Soccer’s social media platforms (Facebook / FOX Sports Go), beginning at 5:15 PM ET on the Eastern Conference matches and 7:35 PM ET on the Western Conference matches.

Once the action begins on the field, Glenn Davis and Stu Holden call the New York Red Bulls-Atlanta United match with Katie Witham reporting from the sideline. Mark Followill and Brad Friedel call the Seattle Sounders-Dallas FC match with Danielle Slaton reporting from the sideline.

In Spanish on FOX Deportes, Alejandro Luna and Elmur Souza call the New York Red Bulls-Atlanta United match with Ernesto Amador and Martin Zuñiga on the call for Seattle Sounders-Dallas FC match.

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/...ls-whiparound-coverage-playoff-race-heats-upp

22. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I get that Fox prefers to use Deportes for the World Series rather than using SAP on Fox OTA because there's no way to use dual-language graphics. And there are two teams in the WS that will have an appeal to a Latino/a audience with the Dodgers and Houston. But Fox could at least push Libertadores to FS2 (showing UFC repeats if I remember correctly) or the waste of money that is FS+ (showing a rerun of Europa League that should have a viewing audience of 15-20 people total). Then show the game on Deportes when the WS ends. And even though I am a big baseball fan (and a Dodgers fan), I fully expect that Tuesday and Wednesday will go to extra innings causing Libertadores to be pushed so far back that Fox will pull their hatchet editing job of cutting 12+ minutes from the game so they can have time for a full pre-game, half-time, and post-game for Libertadores instead of the game itself.

Fox hates soccer. Had to revive that line from the old ESPN thread. Haha.

unclesox and vilafria repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Extra innings or not, there's no-way the baseball ends by 11:00p! What a joke to even schedule something at 11:00. Who doesn't know October baseball games last 4 hours?

24. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Well, we have the fastest WS game since 1992 (I'll avoid spoilers) and Fox Deportes decides it is crucial to follow with news instead of showing the Libertadores match. Morons.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Both teams have solid pitching so I expect pretty much the same for every game. In most cases Bocafan is right but these pitching staffs are the exception.