The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    FOX cock-blocking us from arguably the most important WC qualifier this week in UEFA, if not all of the world, by putting Iceland v Croatia on FS+, an inaccessible channel. I assume this is the reason espn3 is not showing that particular match, when they're showing most others.

2. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Great to hear that Mariano Trujillo has been added to the team; great choice! His commentary and analysis on the game of fútbol has been on point on the Fox Deportes side; most of the guys over there are heavily biased but this guy has always kept it on the level! Looking forward to seeing him with the rest of the team. Good to see him move up too! It must be nice to get two paychecks too! :thumbsup:

The squad looks so far!

3. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    IMO, if Fox wants to improve their Mexico broadcast against Univision and Telemundo, they gotta have Mariano Trujillo calling the game. I was surprised to see that he didn't call that game but I hope he does Sunday night.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Strong and Stuart Holden will announce on FS1.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have to say that I like the fact FOX brought in their National Geographic correspondent (who happens to be Russian) to talk about the cultural aspects of Russia.
    His brief segment pertaining to St. Petersburg at the end of the Cup preview show was entertaining and informative.

7. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    874045727223230464 is not a valid tweet id

8. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Combine those numbers and it is a 6.8.

The Stanley Cup Finals game six (pretty much going head-to-head) got a 4.8.

EvanJ repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it helped that the game was good and close.

Question: How/when do they count viewers? At the beginning, middle or end? Or some sort of average throughout the whole broadcast??

11. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    I know network shows are done on half-hour basis. I heard of 15-minute intervals. The numbers reported are always the average. Univision actually mentioned in the article that they peaked at 8.5 mil. during the game last night. Can't imagine 4 mil. people tuning OUT for some reason.

Many times, the numbers are ridiculous if you look at what proceeds or follows a game. I have seen many Bundesliga matches get decent numbers on FoxSports this season but then you see, for example, Bundesliga - 200,000 avg. viewers, and right after it, 1.7mil. viewers for a NASCAR race. You think those Bundesliga numbers weren't inflated by those coming in early to the NASCAR broadcast? But networks never show the half-hour numbers. I would guess Bundesliga was close to 50k in the first 3 half-hours and 650,000 in the last half-hour (due to NASCAR) and that averages out to 200k for the broadcast. We really shouldn't give too much credence to the numbers...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

12. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah I've heard this argument from others too, but honestly who "tunes in early" for TV programs, and why? I mean, I can understand tuning in 5 minutes early but these ratings are computed using averages across the two-hour timeslot, as you point out.

Maybe I'm missing something....

14. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    With all due respect to NASCAR fans, if they're willing to watch hours of cars making left turns, then I wouldn't be surprised if they tune in way too early to watch something totally unrelated to NASCAR. :thumbsup:

Redbullsnation2012, unclesox and BocaFan repped this.
  15. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    With no respect to NASCAR fans, they can't tell time...

;)

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

16. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redbullsnation2012 and sitruc repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Does FOX know that Chicharito is not the second-coming of Pele yet? The fawning over him is something to behold...

onefineesq repped this.
  19. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't think it's everyone from FOX but yeah, some of them do but I agree to a certain extent; it's obvious that he's no were near Pele but he needs to start and if by halftime, the team is winning and/or controlling the game convincingly, then sub him out. The ball and Chicharito somehow always seem to find each other inside the box and that's something they need right now. I'm surprised he didn't come in the second half, but look for him to come in if the score remains like this.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  20. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #670 LaxBandit, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    FOX Sports presents another action-packed soccer weekend highlighted by a FIFA Confederations Cup/Major League Soccer doubleheader on the FOX broadcast network on Saturday, June 24.

Rob Stone anchors studio coverage for Saturday’s doubleheader and Sunday’s Confederations Cup coverage from the FOX broadcast center in Los Angeles with a rotation of analysts - Alexi Lalas - Fernando Fiore - Ian Wright - Arne Friedrich with Kate Abdo - Eric Wynalda - Guus Hiddink - Lothar Matthaus contributing from Saint Petersburg, Russia. Coverage begins at 10:00 am ET each day.

Mexico kicks off Saturday’s match action on the FOX broadcast network when they battle host Russia at Kazan Arena in Kazan, Russia at 11:00 am ET. Jorge Perez-Navarro and Cobi Jones are on the call LIVE with Francisco X. Rivera reporting from the sidelines.

Following the Mexico-Russia match, Mark Followill and Tony Meola have the call LIVE from Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey for New York Red Bulls-New York City FC at 1:30 pm ET. Katie Witham-Ian Joy host from a field-level set and they will be joined by MLS Commissioner Don Garber for an interview during the halftime show.

Also on FS1 at 11:00 am ET - Portugal clashes against New Zealand in Saint Petersburg, Russia. John Strong and Stu Holden call the action LIVE from Krestovsky Stadium with Maria Komandnaya reporting from the sidelines.

On Sunday, June 25, defending World Cup champion Germany squares off against Cameroon on the FOX broadcast network at 11:00 am ET. John Strong and Stuart Holden call the action LIVE from Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi, Russia with Maria Komandnaya reporting from the sidelines. On FS1 at the same time, from Otkrytive Arena in Moscow, Russia - Chile battles Australia with JP Dellacamera and Aly Wagner calling the match LIVE.

Saturday, June 24 -
    10:00 am ET - FIFA Confederations Cup Pre-Match Show - FOX - FS1.
    11:00 am ET - Mexico vs Russia - FOX - New Zealand vs Portugal - FS1.
    1:00 pm ET - FIFA Confederations Cup Post-Match Show - FOX - FS1.
    1:30 pm ET - New York Red Bulls vs New York City FC - FOX - FOX Deportes.

Sunday, June 25 -
    10:00 am ET - FIFA Confederations Cup - Pre-Match Show - FOX - FS1.
    11:00 am ET - Germany vs Cameroon - FOX - Chile vs Australia - FS1.
    1:00 pm ET - FIFA Confederations Cup Post-Match Show - FOX - FS1.

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/...cup-major-league-soccer-doubleheader-saturday

21. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #671 LaxBandit, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  22. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #672 LaxBandit, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biases aside, this particular NY Derby was not a great match.

Hope Fox has better luck with the games to follow

24. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999